Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you still PLAYING at being a girl?

It has always been obvious to me that crossdressers are role-playing. Those who are genuinely transgendered will think about it differently but most CDs dress for fun or relaxation. The point of play is to explore new feelings and situations and gain knowledge and experience. That is what we are doing when we cross genders, we stop being ourselves and begin playing at being a girl enjoying and learning along the way.

There are plenty of other examples of role-playing out there eg historical reenactment societies. These people gain similar satisfaction as CDs and they take the role-playing just as seriously. They demand all the details of their costumes and behaviors be as authentic as possible. They want their experience to be realistic because it makes them feel their experience is the same as the character's experience which creates the illusion that we have actually become the character. They even change their name and insist others use it. Sound familiar? They want total immersion as we do. We want to know "what it feels like"

The funny thing is nobody is pushing ideas that historical reenactment players do this because of genetics or hormones since they don't break an important taboo. We can all understand that this behavior stems from 1. a desire to leave behind your real self for a temporary trip into a fantasy and 2. the character we focus on is one which we find fascinating and engaging. We admire specific qualities and want to reproduce them in our play. We become connected to the character and the associated roleplay until it becomes second nature to slip into this alternate personality.
    I want to be judged for who I am not what I am. Thank you for listening.

The Vintner's private reserve

Hi Freddy,

Yes, for me it's sometimes a wonderful fantasy with lots of play acting and age-inappropriate attire and behavior. For that part of my crossdressing I feel like the closet offers me more freedom of expression than a more public situation would. I suppose that could change, but I have no reason to push it one way or the other.

At other times I prefer to be less outlandish, and dress up and act in a more mature fashion.

Overall, I am very fortunate in that my crossdressing is mostly just low stress fun.

Vale

I don't think I play at being a girl. I actually think I play at being a guy.

Are you still PLAYING at being a girl?
    Well, seeing as I'm not one, then the answer is yes, in the eyes of outsiders, I'm still 'playing' at being a girl because that's what I feel like I am.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue101 View Post
    It has always been obvious to me that crossdressers are role-playing. Those who are genuinely transgendered will think about it differently but most CDs dress for fun or relaxation. The point of play is to explore new feelings and situations and gain knowledge and experience. That is what we are doing when we cross genders, we stop being ourselves and begin playing at being a girl enjoying and learning along the way.

There are plenty of other examples of role-playing out there eg historical reenactment societies. These people gain similar satisfaction as CDs and they take the role-playing just as seriously. They demand all the details of their costumes and behaviors be as authentic as possible. They want their experience to be realistic because it makes them feel their experience is the same as the character's experience which creates the illusion that we have actually become the character. They even change their name and insist others use it. Sound familiar? They want total immersion as we do. We want to know "what it feels like"

The funny thing is nobody is pushing ideas that historical reenactment players do this because of genetics or hormones since they don't break an important taboo. We can all understand that this behavior stems from 1. a desire to leave behind your real self for a temporary trip into a fantasy and 2. the character we focus on is one which we find fascinating and engaging. We admire specific qualities and want to reproduce them in our play. We become connected to the character and the associated roleplay until it becomes second nature to slip into this alternate personality.
    Thank you for so beautifuly "explaining" this! I especially like the comparison to historical reenactors. Your comments have helped me further understand what is seen by many as breaking a taboo. Gender seems to be the "great untouchable".

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    While I love playing "as a woman", I am not "playing at being a woman". I take this very seriously. It has not been about "dressing up" for me for a long, long time. It is part of my being, part of my psyche, and part of my life.
    If Shakespeare was right and "all the world's a stage" then I am playing a role, but then aren't we all....mine just happens to include the expression of the woman in me.
    I need say nothing. Not that I have anything to say in the first place.

The typical "girl play" that GG's do as they grow into adulthood allows them to identify and act out the roles they will be performing as adult GG's. Even though most of us never had that experience as we were growing up we do have it now as we dress up. The GG girls really take the fantasies they have as kids and make what they will with them some achieve some don't but the idea of play is not pejorative at all for them, even the childhood fantasies the boys have about growing up to be the men they fantasize about is play too. Play is a profoundly important thing, kind of like sleep both are essential to sanity and yet our society seems to call them wasteful.

So if we "play" at being women is that such a bad thing? Even if there is no intention of realizing that fantasy the process is valuable to us.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain