Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do people in here... wear wigs? Advice?

Do people in here... wear wigs? Advice?

I noticed a lot of pictures of people with long hair and such. Either thats their normal haircut of they are wearing a wig of some discription.

Any suggestions? I'm on a budget so the lower the cost the better since this isnt something i share openly its hard to divert funds to things which i cant explain lol.

I'm not sure what colour to try, i dont want to look like a guy in a wig - or worse (if there can be a worse). This isnt for 'outside' or anything its just for myself personally.. which is why it does not have to cost the earth.

Anyways should i stick with 'brownish' which is what my hair seems to be now - See picture (Look its me! As me! At least if someone see's i can say "And you were in a forum for crossdressers because why?" ).

Oh one more thing, since i know nothing about this subject - How to they stay on? Are they not kinda uncomfortable with your normal hair underneath and does that also not cause it to look un-natural. I don't really want to shave my head - due to these satalite dishs i have for ears but also because its cold lol.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 03-20-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Hi Robert, I wouylod recommend you get as close to the colour of your natural hair as possible, that way it tends to bland in with your natural look. Having said that, sadly, it is something I have always had trouble with, finding a wig the colour and style that suits me. Very frustrating.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I put my wig right over my short hair.--no problems.---And it really dont have to match your real hair color.---I wear a black wig mostly--although my real hair is dark brown---but with my dark eyes I can get away with it and get a more dramatic look than with brown.---lots of Skin color shades work well with black too--even Light.

Blonde hair is tricky to work with. it is most sensitive to eye and skin color.

Brown is a bit "blah", IMHO, but a safe color.

Redish brown, or even red is also an interesting color that also works with a wide range of skin tones---but not dark ones.

You can buy cheap wigs to start with.---Ive even found a good wig or two in the party store---Where they are usually crap, but every now and then a better quality(acceptable) wig can be found there. The manufactures will sometimes sell discontinued or poorly selling better wigs in with the bunch of halloween crap, just to get rid of them--it pays to look. Ive seen the same 50 dollar wig in the party store, under a different name for less than 20 bucks.

You might also wanto to DL a free makeover program---and put your picture on it and try different hairstyles, to give you a general Idea,

I wear a long curly hairstyle wig, to make my neck and jaw look thinner. You likely could get away with a shorter style, as your neck looks fine.

Hi there sweetie,

Wigs can look very natural.....or very bad! Since this is just for you, and not for going out, you should be able to find an inexpensive wig that may not be perfectly passable in public, but will still make you look pretty and feel feminine. And it will look fine for pictures too.

Definitely go with a wig that isn't more than a couple of shades different from your natural color. But there is no reason to stick with "brownish"; you could try a chestnut color, or medium golden brown, or maybe brown with auburn highlights.

And no, you don't have to shave your head. The shop or website you buy your wig from will sell you a "wig cap" to tuck your hair under. They don't cost much.

I see you're in the UK, but all the major online wig retailers ship internationally so you could look for one at a site like www.beautytrends.com or www.bestwigoutlet.com. Obviously you need a credit card to buy from them, though. And then there is always Ebay....most of the sellers there accept PayPal and some also accept cheques, and you could request discreet packaging when you make your purchase.

Don't be disappointed if your first wig doesn't exactly make you look the way you had imagined you might. Sometimes there is a little trial and error involved in wig shopping. But whatever you get will still be fun to wear and you will enjoy feeling different.

Oh and....do you wear makeup? That will make a huge difference to how you look in your new wig. It might be all you need to transform yourself from "a guy in a wig" to a convincing young woman. Thinning your eyebrows just a little will help too, and if you don't go nuts with the tweezers, no one will really notice.

Looking at your picture, I think you'll make a very pretty girl. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

GypsyKaren
    Hi robert

They say to buy one that matches your own hair color, but when I did that I looked terrrible because I have a fair complexion, so I went blonde and am happy with the results.

This is what I did. I went to a local wig salon and tried on different styles and colors until I found the right look. Then I went on-line and found the same wig for half the price of the store. I now buy all of my wigs from Paula Young, they have nice stuff at great prices. I just got a cute shag for $19 that was being closed out, so you don't have to spend a lot of money.

GypsyKaren

Where abouts in the UK - I may be able to put you in touch with someone local?

I have found the only way is to go to a shop and try several on then you have advice about length style and colour and can make a budget choice. I cannot specify a particular shop but all I will say is avoid most of the so called transform shops as they tend to be a rip off go to a local general wig supplier you will find they are undrestanding and helpful.

Hi Robert, i have always use ebay for wigs, most sellers put good quality pics so you can see what you're buying.
    What i've found that works for me is to go through the wigs section page by page and look for private sellers, they usually sell cheaper than the traders although if you find a trader having a genuine sale you can get real bargains.

I've got 9 wigs now and think the most expensive was £12.99, i've got normally light brown hair but have wigs ranging from black and red to honey blonde.
    At least the way i buy wigs if they don't suit me i haven't lost a lot of cash.

Hugs, Gale.

Have to get yourself a femme name before long.

PS get youself a wig cap as well, they a really cheap and i find it easier to do my makeup with one on, it helps to outline the face.
    Last edited by Gale R; 10-08-2005 at 07:59 PM.
    Luv Ya! :be:

I go to wig stores. Sometimes I just get dressed up and go, other times I go in as a guy, tell the clerk I'm a cd, and go from there. They are always accomodating.

hits my belt and all natural....

Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Twelve
    You might also wanto to DL a free makeover program---and put your picture on it and try different hairstyles, to give you a general Idea,

Try this site for makeup. http://www.maybelline.com/makeupstudio/index.htm
    And after you get that done you can take that picture and go here to try on some wigs. http://www.internationalwig.com/wigs/

Have fun.
    Hey this is me....it's who I am.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks
    outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens.

-- Carl Gustav Jung

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Ma'am, You can wear the pants in the family....may i wear the dress.

One more step... outside! Francine's Avatar

Smile wigs

Robert,

Since others have give you some good advice, for wigs, my advice would be http://www.wigs.com out of Dallas, TX .They have a full range of advice and helpful people who can help with many of your questions. If you are in the east, you might check out Karen's femfever.com who can help with an entire make over to show the real potential.

Good luck.

Francine

Wow i didn't expect so many replies thankyou for the all the advice and links. I will go through them properly later when im in more of a private area.

I did happen to find something i liked the look of on eBay (Paypal is really the best way for me - avoids some issues) and they need to be UK based (or deliver too).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT (see attached image)

Not sure about the colour, its nice but i dont know if its 'me' but the style is rather appealing from my POV that is. Don't know what it would be like on me instead of someone else. XD Something along those lines i think is what im after, something long. One thing im concerned about is the 'bulk' of such items in the post and how im going to explain what it is if someone asks lol , the bane of living with members of your family heh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Robert, these wigs are normally packed in a jiffy bag, so not bulky at all.
    As for the colour it could be a bit bright, the problem is the photo is done to enhance the wig to sell, although from your pic you do seem young enough to get away with that.

If you can get it for that price you won't lose much even if it doesn't suit you or you could resell it on ebay.

Hugs, gale.
    Luv Ya! :be:

Thats a very pretty wig Robert.

I have two wigs,one I bought on line from Fredericks Of Hollywood(a Henry Margu for $86.00) and the other at a local wig shop.I orginally went to this shop I used to go to but when I looked at the prices I had sticker shock.The lady must have noticed and told me of a beauty suppy shop that sold wigs.She said they buy in bulk and have better prices.She was right,I was able to buy a Henry Margu wig for $54.00.

Diana

Hi,
    Unless the seller is nuts, there is usually no indication what is in the package. They usually come in a jiffy bag and feel just like a T-shirt is inside!

If you have a bit of a long face, like me, then a bit of a fringe will help a lot. But try not to get anything too blunt cut or it will look 'wiggy'. I'm a big fan of layers, especially around the face, they soften the look a lot. If you aren't ready to go and try some on at a wig store, then you'll have to do a bit of trial and error shopping. eBay is good, you can get some really good deals there, but always remember that you get what you pay for. Start out with inexpensive ones (but not 'party' or fancy dress' wigs) until you find a style and colour that you like and then invest in a more expensive one in the same style/colour later.

Experiment a bit, it's not like you have to grow it out if you don't like it. The key is to have fun.

Mona xx

As you are still young, Robert, a good makeup job can do more than any wig to feminise your face. You can grow your own hair to a length that could be styled in a male or female way. Just a thought.
    [SIZE=5]Natalie [SIZE=4](the Tranny Granny)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The thantom phread killer striks again[/SIZE]

Platinum Member
    the outher way to go is grow your own hair ... i had wigs before but never realy liked them for one reason or a nouther ...i grew my own hair and love it the down side is in starting look forward to a lot of bad hair days ....mine past my shoulders takes abought a cupple hours a day between washing drying and getting it to come out to look the way i want it too ...sometimes it would be easyer just to have a wig... but been this long i not getting it cut ...just a nouther thing to think abought....

I got a few wigs from Fredericks online. They were Henry Margu, makes a pretty nice wig for the price. I suggest that you stick to a synthetic one as they are a lot easier to work with. OBTW..check the ON SALE or CLOSEOUT sections on Fredericks..the one in the avatar cost less than 40 dollars! Now about color...I HAD brown hair..now a distinguished silver Bu I went with a red color as I am fair skinned and have blue eyes..I think it works for me.

If possible, your own long hair will always look best. I had waist length hair and most people just saw a hippy when I was in drab. My hair is now shoulder length, but male pattern baldness has finally got me so I'm now in wigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Susan
    I go to wig stores. Sometimes I just get dressed up and go, other times I go in as a guy, tell the clerk I'm a cd, and go from there. They are always accomodating.
    I agree the wig store is the best. You need to have someone help you with size and color and style. It can be expensive but it is really worth it in the long run (and it's fun too). I started wearing a greyish blond wig so I don't have to worry about the wind blowing my hair and seing my own grey undereneath. It matches well.
    Stephanie Kay

"We all just want to be loved!"

Banned Read only
    Since you have darker colored hair don't get a blonde wig....yes blondes have more fun but imho it looks silly with darker eyebrows.

I have spent more than a few days looking through eBay auctions - the above one i posted went into higher prices so i passed on it. But i just got that one there for a pretty good price - It was an impulse buy it had 56 seconds left on it and i was getting fed up of trying to think of the right style for me so i dont look silly ( well more silly than i have too :P )

Now if i could just decide on some clothes, i want to go for the punk/goth look its just hard to find things.... ive noticed that a lot of the really good stuff requires... breasts.... lol.

One more step... outside! Francine's Avatar

update

pardon me..

Karen's Fem Fever is http://www.femmefever.com

I wish she was closer

Francine