Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Ground

Common Ground

Ok, this is long and kind of philosophical and not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed writing it and I thought a few of you might find it interesting......

[SIZE="4"]
    Common Ground
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]W[/SIZE]hen talking with other genetic women about the ups and downs of being in a relationship with a crossdresser, one topic that inevitably comes up is vanity. “He’s in love with himself!” is a complaint I’ve heard more times than I can remember. Generally speaking, women are bewildered by, and sometimes resentful of, the typical crossdresser’s fascination with mirrors and photographs. This insistent focus on their physical appearance can make them seem shamelessly narcissistic—a trait that is not attractive in anyone, male or female.

But all this apparent self-obsession has a flip side, as anyone who has spent much time around crossdressers will tell you. The fact is, most crossdressers are really terribly insecure about the way they look en femme. Not all, of course, but the majority. Why else would they need to take dozens of pictures in hopes of finding one or two that portray the image they desire? Why else would they be so appreciative of compliments, and so devastated by criticism? Scratch a crossdresser and more often than not you will find a repository of angst to rival that of even the most self-conscious adolescent girl. Yet this insecurity about their perceived shortcomings, I would argue, is among their most endearing qualities, because it means that deep down they are just like us.

This is an epiphany that has dawned on me gradually. I began to realize it one day last month, when my husband and I were getting ready to go out to dinner and I was fretting about the way I looked. “I can’t possibly go,” I said. “My hair is a disaster, my makeup is all wrong, and this dress makes me look fat.” He came to me and I was sure he was about to say, in typical male fashion, that I looked fine. Instead he said, “That’s okay, I know how you feel. We don’t have to go.” I could have cried with joy and gratitude as I thought to myself, here is a man who actually gets it.

As a woman, I have lived my entire life under the oppressive influence of our culture’s standard of feminine beauty, a standard so unrealistic that 95% of us cannot achieve it without surgery. We are surrounded by images and expectations of how we ought to look, and these visual ideals are so deeply ingrained in us that no amount of education, common sense, or feminist rebellion can completely erase them. One needs look no further than the latest copy of any women’s magazine to learn that a woman’s worth is still, as ever, primarily determined by how attractive she is. Occasionally one finds, hidden amongst the plethora of articles on how to lose weight, improve your body, and hide your embarrassing flaws, a token column on the importance of loving yourself just the way you are. But that message will never be heard above the clamor of voices telling us that every part of the average woman’s body is unacceptable and in need of fixing.

It’s no wonder, then, that crossdressers feel the same dissatisfaction with their feminine image that women do. I was struck by this similarity last week as I was chatting with a TG friend about her various physical imperfections and her dream of one day undergoing cosmetic surgery to correct them. An hour before, I’d had a virtually identical conversation with my sister, who is convinced that she needs liposuction, a tummy tuck, breast implants, and a brow lift. Hearing my TG friend describe her feelings of never being good enough or pretty enough, I thought, was just like listening to another woman. Granted, a genetic male faces more obstacles in the quest for feminine perfection than a genetic female does, but the spectre of not measuring up haunts them both.

In a recent television series called He’s a Lady, eleven men were given female makeovers and required to compete in various “challenges” designed to teach them what life is like for a woman. It was lighthearted show to be sure, but there were moments when it transcended the silliness and delivered some poignant lessons. One of these came near the end, when the man who went on to win the competition was asked what he had learned from the experience. His answer? “I’ve learned,” he said, “that men’s obsession with external beauty can be very hurtful when the greater beauty inside is missed or ignored.” It is insights like these which, to my mind, make crossdressers so special and so desirable as friends and romantic partners. There are many things that I have come to love about this community, but for me nothing is more rewarding than those rare moments when the great divide between male and female is bridged, and we find common ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Platinum Member
    veary good post ....you hit the nail on the head....your out look is so true....
    rather than looking to "fix" our flaws we should be work more twards just being happy in what we are ... if one looks hard enough we can always find something that needs "fixing" rather than being happy with who we are,.....

As always your posts give us lots to think about. I concur with your thoughts on women's magazines. Society/business has put an image out there that women are expected to follow a certain look or there must be something wrong with them. This bothers me no end not only for what women have to spend to try to reach some goal but also because in many cases that's how men expect women to appear while what's inside the soul goes unnoticed. Great post!

Yes, yes, but does my bum look big in this!!!!

x

Marla, very well said and written love. Thank you and others like you for your understanding.

Kisses, April
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

Your posts are always so interesting and give my wife and I alot to think about.
    This one we've been dicussing since it was posted. And have decided that in our relationship if we are happy with how we look to each other then the rest of the world can go **** its self.
    In our lives we spend to much time worrying about what others think and not enough about how we feel.
    This sort of hit home last weekend when we went to visit my parents, now my mum is in her late 60's and drives a topless sports car and wears the lastest fashions, has always had her hair dyed, she is also over weight and quite busty.
    Now my sister who was also visiting suggested that may she start to act her age, what her reply to this was grab the zimmer frame and a bottle of blue rinse and save it for when I am old.
    So be happy with what you got and enjoy your self [ Is this lippy my colour lol ]
    [SIZE=4]:GE: CROSS MY PALM WITH GOLD, CAUSE SILVER'S CHEAP[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=6]EMELDA[/SIZE]
    My picture thread http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28557

Brilliant post!!

I used to write stories for teen girls magazines. It was very startling and rather depressing really. It was in the 80's and there was blatant men bashing, how rubbish they were, useless, unreliable etc every single week. But every OTHER article, story, free gift, or advert was about how the girl should look to get a boyfriend. It was almost a guide to self obsession. Is your bum too big, are your teeth, ears, hair, legs, etc etc etc take this quiz.

They were bombarded not only with images of the highly impossible (for the average girl) but were indoctrinated into the whole business of being in self doubt all the time. I was not only angry at the men bashing angle but seriously saddened that these young and possibly beautiful people were being bombarded with the notion that they were...and never would be...good enough.

And strange though it may seem for a GG....the average CD is also given a feast of images of what the average 'beautiful' people look like if they are a sucessful CD, let alone a beautiful woman. It's a depressing thing for exactly the same reasons. The 'beautiful' CD tranny Tg whatever is as genetically rare as the genuinely 'beautiful' woman. And yet if we look in the mirror and don't look anywhere near them, we feel a failure and ugly.

That is why this forum is so special. We can freely look like a bag of spanners and someone will say the thing you need to hear for that little scared but pretty woman buried deep inside.

(Oh and Mona's arse is HUUUGE!!)

Thank you Marla. It was beautiful. And here too in you is a woman who gets it.

Tracy, to my knowledge, has never visited these forums. She knows of it, and has seen me viewing it, but has not been interested in looking at it. I've never showed her anything from here, though I'd have no problem showing her. She wouldn't even look at the photos I took this last weekend, speaking of photos, angst, and insecurity.

I will however take her a copy of your essay. I don't expect her to read it, but I don't know that I've seen as good a starting point.

I admire you and Angel Darling.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    Once again a brilliantly thought provoking and insightful post from our resident philosopher Marla

For years now I have been trying to get this message of loving yourself across to Kelly but I never seemed to learn the lesson myself and that explains alot.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

I enjoyed reading that Marla,,, the points made are so clear and right..the vanity part ...hell yea thats sooo true ..im 100% guilty of that ....the pics the mirror ...i think its coz we are NEVER sure ...we are told how nice we look ...even passable ...but still we continue ..to ask ..and of course if we are told OMG u look horrible...... we (although we deny it) are resentful...and carry it for days....

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Another insightful post. Vanity and insecurity are definitely two sides of the same mirror. I think CDers for many of us is an opportunity to be vain about our appearance in a way that we don't feel comfortable doing so en homme. Which in a sense makes are insecurities about our looks all that much worse.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Smile very good post

Once again Marla a very good post i always enjoy reading your post they always make a lot of sense, and help us a lot in more ways that we can imange

Marla, I've been meaning to ask - are you working on compiling your essays, perhaps with a view toward eventual publication?

...and, as my Right Honourable Friends in Parliament are fond of saying,

[size=3]And if not - why not?[/size]
    [SIZE=1]
    Marge, you being a cop makes you the Man, which makes me the woman. And I have no interest in that!

...besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.
    ~ H. Simpson

Silly goose, of course that's not me in my avatar![/size]

[QUOTE=Marla GG]
    ..."when my husband and I were getting ready to go out to dinner and I was fretting about the way I looked. “I can’t possibly go,” I said. “My hair is a disaster, my makeup is all wrong, and this dress makes me look fat.” He came to me and I was sure he was about to say, in typical male fashion, that I looked fine. Instead he said, “That’s okay, I know how you feel. We don’t have to go.” I could have cried with joy and gratitude as I thought to myself, here is a man who actually gets it.
    QUOTE]

Marla, no matter what you look like on the outside (and I think you look beautiful).... your inner beauty shines through!

I enjoyed reading your post and wish I had a wife like you.

Jacqui

MichelleFCD's other half
    Thank you for another wonderful post Marla. I know that you have given me something new to ponder. I had never really thought about all the similarities on the vanity issue but you are so right they ARE there.
    AngGG

Marla, I want my wife to read your post !! She hates computers so I may print it for her,
    THANKS !

Cindy

Marla, your words always seem to reach deep inside me. I'm not sure that I see what I actually am or what it is I aspire to become, but either way, I have hope that there is, in fact, a better person within.

For what it's worth, I see a bit of your heart in this post as well... thanks for trusting us enough to share this intimate part of yourself. & .
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

he's a lady: I wish I had kept those shows on VHS, but I didn't.. really enjoyed that show, and the guys cleaned up so well. I was just getting my homebrew Tivo going, otherwise I'd have an archive of divx right now.

My wife is super self-conscience as she's always been teased about her weight, and still gets stares.. I think she looks great so I hate when she asks me how she looks. She'll ask "are you sure you want to be seen with me?" and I'm like "what? why would I care? you could be bald from chemo and I'd still go out in public with you". women have serious problems, being a CD'r out in public is an entirely different story. We can be read, outed, pointed at,teased, and possibly beaten or killed. Women dont' have that problem if they're hair is out of place.

Marla, I can't believe how much studying you have done on this subject. It really is amazing just how well you understand how most of us feel. You are going to be the Dr Ruth of CD's

Keep up the great work
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Well Marla the concensus seems to be you should be publishing your writings. My wife just said she'd buy your book.......can you autograph it for me........ pleeeeeeeze!
    Last edited by Jenny Beth; 10-12-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Fantastic post!!!!

You need to get it published and help educate the mass morons out there!
    Maybe you can get 60 minutes to do a thing on it.
    "Common Ground..the growing phenomenon of Women married to Crossdressers"

edited to add: or maybe Oprah. She has a good following.
    edited again to add: We are not going to be free till society accepts us and that can only come from bombarding the public with positive education through the medium of television.
    Sorry to hijack your thread Marla but you have the talent to be a spokeswomen for all of us. GG's and CD's.

Hugs
    Last edited by KatieZ; 10-12-2005 at 09:07 PM.
    Hey this is me....it's who I am.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks
    outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens.

-- Carl Gustav Jung

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Ma'am, You can wear the pants in the family....may i wear the dress.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    In her post Marla made reference to my understanding that she couldn't possiblly go out because of the way she thought she looked. I thought I would tell you what part of my head my comment came from.

Two weeks prior to Marla fretting about her appearance, I myself was getting ready to go out en femme with her. After I was done I looked in the mirror and felt like the ugly duckling. My wig seemed old and dowdy, my make up looked like it was put on too thick, the shape of my face seemed too male and my body looked like that a man's in women's clothes. I felt I looked awful. And yet my outfit was almost the same as last time, my make up was exactly the same and it was the same wig. Yet somehow I looked hideous.

This was the moment that a light went on in my head. I thought to myself that this is how it must be for a woman, how sometimes you feel fat and ugly and other times you don't at all because of your confidence level and expectations of yourself at that particular moment.

So a couple of weeks later when we were getting ready to go out to dinner and Marla was fretting about her appearance, I cuddled her and told her I totally understood how she felt and that we didn't have to go if she didn't want to.

Now admittedly, my worries about my appearance were borne out of maybe being read, but my point is, I remembered how I felt two weeks before and I made a connection to how Marla was feeling at that moment. It's a shame how our lack of confidence that we don't "make the grade" causes us to feel insecure and may lead to seemingly irrational thoughts.

Wouldn't it be good if we could just relax and enjoy being ourselves without having to worry about what others might be thinking about us?
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 10-12-2005 at 09:44 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Darling
    Wouldn't it be good if we could just relax and enjoy being ourselves without having to worry about what others might be thinking about us?
    Indeed it would, Angel Darling.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Marla what another excellent post The time and effort that goes into your threads is so appreciated by everyone here. Each time I read something new you have written, it not only helps the members here, but it also helps me more than you know. I have the upmost respect for you. Angel, you have an awesome wife (and I know she loves you very much). Angel, for you to understand how we sometimes feel is pretty amazing and hearing 'I know how you feel' instead of the clique 'oh you look great' must be something not many women hear.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

What a great post! This is really one area that we can all agree on and you wrote about it so nicely. Thanks girl! You rock!
    kathy in canada