Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's change the name Cross Dresser given to us by someone we don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Tania_aCrossdresser View Post
    I agree with AliceJaneinNewcastle. Femulator is a nice name
    Well, if we get to vote, I don't like "femulator". Reminds me too much of "terminator". I get all kinds of images of robotic killers with that name.
    Reine

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceJaneInNewcastle View Post
    Personally, I much prefer the verb femulate, and the noun femulator in describing what I do and who I am.
    That may indeed be a good term for what you do and who you are, but how would it apply to our FtM brethren?

Quote Originally Posted by Tania_aCrossdresser View Post
    I agree with AliceJaneinNewcastle. Femulator is a nice name and the verb femulate is a very appropriate way to describe what we do.
    In what way would you say that an FtM cross-dresser is imitating, copying or trying to be like a female?

How does that term apply to those who state that they are cross-dressing for the clothes not to imitate a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Well, if we get to vote, I don't like "femulator". Reminds me too much of "terminator". I get all kinds of images of robotic killers with that name.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Okay, I'll play:

I used to be just a boy, but now I am Gender Enhanced, due to the fact that I have an Adjustable Gender Presentation. Why, I am proud to possess a Broad Gender Spectrum, since it gives me the Gender Flexibility to have a Customized Gender. Unfortunately, I am not sophisticated enough to give you my Gender Split stat. I know I am not an M50/F50. I am probably closer to an M75/F25.

Genderly yours,
    Liz

how about part time women

So the request for a new word to describe us has turned into the much discussed CD vs TV subject.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I'll direct you to the link in post #20. Take a look at the reference sources at the bottom of the article. Here's the link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Transvestite

The terms "transvestite" and "crossdresser" are interchangeable, although I've noticed more people in the US use "CD" while overseas "TV" is more common. And yes, they both may have a sexual component.
    If you check out the many online dictionaries, the definitions vary, but I think it is fair to say that "crossdresser" and "transvestite" are synonyms in the English language, but eymologically speaking one has Germanic origins and the other has Latin origins. Languages evolve and some words go out of fashion or lose their original meaning.

As for TV being more common overseas, now living in Portugal, "Crossdresser" is the most used term, despite having a Latin based language. The correct Portuguese term is "travesti" which also means travesty or parody. "Travesti" seems to be used more in respect those who prostitute themselves as the small ads in the tabloid press here clearly demonstrates.

Getting back to the origin of this thread, I too think the word "femulator" has promise. Who know's in years to come CD could be looked upon as derogatory just as some consider TV as derogatory now.

For now, call me what you like. I enjoy what I do and will continue to do so, whatever anyone chooses to call it.

However, when one closes up shop, does one put up a sign "Gone fishing" or "Gone angling", or in my case "Gone CD'ing" or "Gone TV'ing". What's in a word?
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slamddoger View Post
    This is a really good example of a different perspective. Something we haven't thought of yet. Marketing some might say. Like a bar of soap, you can market it with it gets you clean campaign or make the play that it is refreshing. Cross Dressing gets us there but it sure doesn't say what we expect from cross dressing.

Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by slamddoger View Post
    Well, it has the advantage of only upsetting rather than excluding the FtM's amongst us ...

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Platinum Member
    Hi Kitty, It's who I am It's what I do.

Orchid

Aspiring Member
    Orchid, Cheryl had said in another post, "Just call me Cheryl." I think you are both exactly right.

I think that is the best answer of all. I lot of others had posted that we don't need any special titles as well.

I was wrong on looking for another name to replace cross dresser. I just want use it very much since Kitty is the right name.

Thanks everyone.

Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyagain View Post
    I was wrong
    It takes a very big person to be able to say those words. Kudos to you, Kitty

Part time woman or female is good otherwise i also like the terms womyn and gurls. Crossdresser has a discriminating touch, at least subjectively.

I was wrong on looking for another name to replace cross dresser. I just want use it very much since Kitty is the right name.

Thanks everyone.

Kitty.
    Good job. Now you're getting it.
    "I am the beginning and the end. I bring order into chaos. "
    "I never tell the truth, because I do not believe such a thing exists. Truth, is in the eye of the beholder."
    "Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self serving, I shall simply say, good luck."
    "We give no crap, and we take very little."

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    That may indeed be a good term for what you do and who you are, but how would it apply to our FtM brethren?
    Given that this discussion is specifically in the M2F section of the site, I think that it is clear that there was no intention of applying it to F2Ms.

The large transgender umbrella term covers all of the gender variant members here (with the exception of transvestic fetishists according to the definition of that term). I see no reason why it would be any more insulting or exclusionary to F2Ms that M2Fs have a gender specific descriptive term than the other way around. After all, there are already transwomen and transmen, and I don't believe that either group takes exception to the other...

feeling good on heels Angela d'Evial's Avatar
    what about " FEMINDED " or " FEMINDERS "

Quote Originally Posted by AliceJaneInNewcastle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Given that this discussion is specifically in the M2F section of the site, I think that it is clear that there was no intention of applying it to F2Ms.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the gist of the reason given for wanting to change the term was that it was felt to be insulting, is your argument that the term cross-dresser is only insulting if you are MtF but not if you are FtM?

I agree with the idea that transvestite is a pejorative word, whereas crossdresser looks kinda neutral.
    Plus, crossdresser is cool. It's a dude that dresses with a X. Like a PIRATE FLAG ! Or a PIRATE MAP ! Hence, that's very cool.

However, if we were to change the word, I'd vote for this one :

Quote Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
    I vote for "chick-clothes wearin' dude".
    But hey, chickclotheswearindudes.com would be a hassle to type.

I have allways liked the abreviation "T GURLS" it takes the "t" from all the trans words and acts like the "x" or cross of "crossdressers .And "GURLS" is just another way to say girl for someone who wasn't exactly born as one... and it just sounds pretty

Quote Originally Posted by Amandyne View Post
    I agree with the idea that transvestite is a pejorative word, whereas crossdresser looks kinda neutral.
    Plus, crossdresser is cool. It's a dude that dresses with a X. Like a PIRATE FLAG ! Or a PIRATE MAP ! Hence, that's very cool.

However, if we were to change the word, I'd vote for this one :

But hey, chickclotheswearindudes.com would be a hassle to type.
    I don't like being called a tranvestite, I prefer crossdresser, but even then if I refer to my crossdressing, I normally refer to my female name, Lizzie. Whilst in male mode, I'd say, ask my girlfriend, 'Do you think I should buy Lizzie some... (thinks hard for an example) purple tights?'.

The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing. Why don't we come up with a name for us that says who we are inside, not just outside?

With the creative minds here I bet we can bet the coldness of Cross Dresser.

Kitty
    I did, years ago. " gender enhanced "

The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing. Why don't we come up with a name for us that says who we are inside, not just outside?

With the creative minds here I bet we can bet the coldness of Cross Dresser.

Kitty
    I like the sound of it tho, crossdresser (for me!) is the exact same thing as man or woman. Just a term used to describe a person.

Bloody bloody!!!!!
    Not another box to crawl out of!!!
    Uhh well actually yeah!
    Change the way people think of clothes, remove gender from clothes...
    Not clothes from gender..
    Or would that remove the turn on too much?!

What if tomorrow all clothes were unisex.. Hmmm..
    I..

My Yin is meeting my Yang..
    When people can only see the circle,
    Then I will be complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandra View Post
    What if tomorrow all clothes were unisex.. Hmmm..
    I would still wear women's clothes

It should be pronounced like aphrodite; transvestity lol

Transvestite - Trans=cross, vest=dress. I've never seen a definition that included homosexual, and I've looked it up in quite a few sources over the years. But for some reason, the word invokes images of Rocky Horror with the fishnet stockings, black hair, and black eye shadow. I prefer crossdresser as it sounds more like Phil Donahue wearing a skirt on his show. Is it one word yet or is it still cross dresser?

Banned Read only
    I have to stay with Cross-dresser. It describes Stephanie is general terms just as the term photographer describes a person who takes pictures. When the need arises Stephanie and Steve can have a discussion of who she and he are, just like a photographer can relate what area of photography he or she shoots.