Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's change the name Cross Dresser given to us by someone we don't know

Aspiring Member

Let's change the name Cross Dresser given to us by someone we don't know

The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing. Why don't we come up with a name for us that says who we are inside, not just outside?

With the creative minds here I bet we can bet the coldness of Cross Dresser.

Kitty

How about Freestyler - meaning that we have thrown off the narrow restrictions of dress and grooming that are imposed on men.

Johanna
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyagain View Post
    The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing.
    I'm sorry, I cannot agree with your basic premise, Cross-dresser describes what you do just as photographer, actor, teacher, firefighter and many others describe what those people do. You don't say that the word "photographer" describes that person as if they were a thiing, so why should it be true of the word that describes what you do?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I agree with Rianna. Also, you're assuming that the term "crossdresser" is pejorative. When I say that someone is a CD, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's just a way to describe a person who is crossing gender norms by dressing. You can also say your are bigender, or dualgender, and all three of these terms do fall within the "transgender" umbrella which you can also use to describe yourself.

... or, you can go ahead and define yourself any way you want! But if eventually you'll want to communicate who you are to someone you care about, you might find it easier to use the better known terms.
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-10-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Reine

I agree with Rianna. Crossdresser is an ideal term specifically because it describes an activity, and is not a label for a type of person.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

It seems a fitting name to me. I don't think it describes us as a "thing" at all. I think it describes an activity.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD
    Also, you're assuming that the term "crossdresser" is pejorative. When I say that someone is a CD, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's just a way to describe a person who is crossing gender norms by dressing. You can also say your are bigender, or dualgender, and all three of these terms do fall within the "transgender" umbrella which you can also use to describe yourself.
    [SIZE="2"]Describing yourself as a “crossdresser” is a convenient handle for unenlightened individuals to grasp, and, since it has a history, I assume that this term has achieved a record of success. I don’t feel any coldness emanating from it, indeed the very word “crossdresser” means something really interesting is going on, and the person doing the dressing is anything but COLD, if you know what I mean...

Pejorative – nice word, Reine! I think if you described yourself to a friend or loved one as a fetishist, a transvestite, a deviant, or simply “I like to dress-up,” pejoration is sure to follow. However, when you say “I’m a crossdresser,” there is at least a pause between what you said and the process of it “sinking in.” Unless your audience is open-minded, crossdresser will also conjure up all sorts of pejorative connotations, and saying transgendered may not apply (in this case). Since the author of the OP is displaying bras and panties as an avatar, “crossdresser” is all you need to say, IMHO...

In lieu of crossdresser, I prefer “human being.” [/SIZE]

How bout we don't. If it was good enough for GrandPa..... Grandma.... its good enough for me!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Why do you have a need for a LABEL?

If you must have one, whats wrong with "Human"? I have actually used this, some teens being smart, asked.. "what are you supposed to be?", my reply "I'm Human, what are you supposed to be?"

I agree for different reasons, I don't like the term at all "cross-dresser", I prefer the term "Androgyne"...
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

I can think of a lot worse things to be called! Sorry that's all I can come up with! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"]
    Unless your audience is open-minded, crossdresser will also conjure up all sorts of pejorative connotations, and saying transgendered may not apply (in this case).[/SIZE]
    True, there are close-minded people. It's getting better though. You can see a huge difference just in the last two generations.

And to the OP, it doesn't really matter to the close-minded people what it's called. You could say, "fashion individualist", or "freedom artist", and after the initial, "huh?" followed by an explanation, if someone believes it is wrong they won't think any differently just because of the new label.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    .....Also, you're assuming that the term "crossdresser" is pejorative. When I say that someone is a CD, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's just a way to describe a person who is crossing gender norms by dressing. You can also say your are bigender, or dualgender, and all three of these terms do fall within the "transgender" umbrella which you can also use to describe yourself.

... or, you can go ahead and define yourself any way you want! But if eventually you'll want to communicate who you are to someone you care about, you might find it easier to use the better known terms.
    It's interesting, over time, how the different names we use to define a group change, possible out of respect of "that" group or a better understanding of the group. I like other Crossdressers find this term pejorative because little has been done to make it any less. As long as we as a group, continue to fly under the radar, there is little hope of changing society perception

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Cross Dresser... yes, I can see how that could put people off.

Okay, how about... Jolly Dresser? Or Happy Dresser? Or Smiling Dresser?

Wait.. I think I've got it this time: Gay Dresser!

I vote for "chick-clothes wearin' dude".

But, in all seriousness. I used to be taken aback by the terms "Tranny", or even "Transvestite", and even didn't think they applied to me, after all I was "just" a cross-dresser! Despite "Transvestite" being the technical terminology, it seemed quite cold; and the "ite" on the end, seemed like a harsh syllable I guess..

But in all honesty I've grown used to it, maybe? Gotta call me something I guess, since I'm so different than the other people ("normal-freaks") out there. So no harm done to me. I only take offence to hurtful and negative adjectives attached before or after any of the terminology.

The FW side of DFW, TX, but New Orleans is my adopted home town
    Interesting though process as therm does bang off the wall of "politically correct," but what the heck. If it can't just be "human," as Frederique said so eloquently, then so be it for me. If I did have to pick something, though, it would just be "me."

Hugs,
    Torrey
    Torrey

"Never laugh, and you will live to regret it.
    That's what living is to me..." - Jimmy Buffett

https://www.facebook.com/torrey.stephens

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Sorry, Kitty, I think you are way off base here. A crossdresser is a "Person" who wears the clothing of the opposite sex!! I have never considered a person to just be a "thing,: and I don't think many other people do! There are enough labels out there already, we don't need any more!!

Natalee, a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!! Most of us on this forum do not fit that category!
    Last edited by sissystephanie; 09-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    Natalee, a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!! Most of us on this forum do not fit that category!
    HUH!!! News to me! I definitely don't fit that by any means! I thought it was some Psych-101 lingo for a crossdresser. Thanks for the clarity on THAT!

Natalee, a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!!
    Ummm.....what? I'm pretty sure the terms "crossdresser" and "transvestite" are synonymous.

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!! Most of us on this forum do not fit that category!
    I've done a lot of work with gender terminology, and that's the first time I've EVER seen that definition. When I was involved in editing trans related articles on wikipedia, I read a lot of reference materials including books, journals and web sites and nothing even vaguely like that was even suggested by any of the multitude of editors who expressed strong opinions on this and related subjects, let alone referenced.

Transvestite is simply a clinical term for a crossdresser. It attaches no value judgement or sexual orientation implications to the subject.

Personally, I much prefer the verb femulate, and the noun femulator in describing what I do and who I am.

That's news to me too! Stephanie, I think you're the only person who believes this. Where did you ever see such a definition?

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Transvestite

You might also want to read the whole article.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    True, there are close-minded people. It's getting better though. You can see a huge difference just in the last two generations.

And to the OP, it doesn't really matter to the close-minded people what it's called. You could say, "fashion individualist", or "freedom artist", and after the initial, "huh?" followed by an explanation, if someone believes it is wrong they won't think any differently just because of the new label.
    Hmmm, do you really think things are getting better for us? Perhaps this may be true with older, more mature people. They may be a bit more accepting of us. But the younger generation, (those under the age of 30), seem to still have a problem with not only cd,s, but also gays, minorities, older people in general, and anyone who is in any way different from them. Mind you, this is the very group that is always saying "dont be a hater", yet they display more "hate" than any other generation i can recall in my 60 yrs. of life. Just look at how they treat each other in these "social networks". Constantly attacking anyone who is different in any little way.
    several yrs. ago, when I used AOL as my internet service, I would try to chat with other crossdressers on their chat rooms that were specifically for cd's. What a disaster that was. the name calling, and the hatred was just too much, and it didnt stop. It did not take me very long to just give up and stop going there.
    I guess my point is, I think we have a very long way to go for total acceptance. and i personally dont expect to see it in my lifetime.

Aspiring Member
    I have enjoyed reading all the post both supportive and non supportive. Some good thoughts from all.

When I think about some of the recent thread that suggested they are two people inside of them or they are moving more female than male or the person that perceived they had hit a wall, the word Cross Dresser is a clothing term that falls short of what we are searching for everyday. If Cross Dresser is so right why so many "Why" questions.

I just think we have a chance here to do something special.

Kitty

Hi,

In our groups we just get dressed up or we dress in a style or dress for a outing , now how do you see this .

My friends some 200 dress in 1400 to 1700 dress ware would you saythey or im a dresser. i dress as a Chateline Lady of the Castle, = mistriss,

& as a wench or in the field as Archer. im dressing in different styles of a by gone time, how do people perceve or see me .

The last two weekends i dressed i dressed in those two outfits seen by some 200 people both my friends & others liveing in our Waimate community & other 's from out side our borders , & i was given some nice comments.

so the ? is am i a dresser. even tho im a woman,

i tryed to get a pic up of one of my outfits . tho not sure now,

...noeleena...

Aspiring Member
    You can call it what ever you want but the duck is still the duck to use an old refrain and I will always be Dianne.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceJaneInNewcastle View Post
    Transvestite is simply a clinical term for a crossdresser. It attaches no value judgement or sexual orientation implications to the subject
    There is a difference. A transvestite feels compelled to crossdress. The term crossdresser includes those who do it voluntarily, just for fun. (Of course, I have no idea why anyone would want to stop. How any men worry about being compelled to watch football?)

The clinical definition of transvestite states that it MAY have a sexual fetish component. That is where the confusions comes from thinking that transvestite only defines transvestitic fetishism.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".