Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning to tell my wife about CDing... Is it a good Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeCD View Post
    Hi Girls,
    I am thinking to tell my wife about CDing. I am not sure about the reaction from her but If she allows it then I can do CDing all the time and she can help me. I am not sure it can be back-fired also.

Need your advice.

Kendra
    Kendra,
    Although most of us who are transgendered and cross-dressers totally understand why you like to dress, and why you have kept it a secret from so many people for so many years, it's quite likely that you wife will understand none of it.

What's worse, if you have been dressing around the house, hiding your wardrobe, and hoping she wouldn't find it, or the activity on the computer, then she may already know and is afraid to let you know that she knows for fear that it might hurt you.

The reactions to the formal revelation are similar to the reactions to learning that a loved one has died. Shock, anger, sadness, acceptance, and resolution. And it's not a linear progression either. She may seem accepting one day, then angry about it another day. She may also see it as a potential bargaining chip.

The degree to which she will experience your revelation as a death of the man she knew and loved, will be largely a factor of who you have been prior to this revelation. If you are "Mr Macho" at home and in your social life, and what she loves about you is that your strong, masculine, aggressive, and a good "protector", then she might feel like everything about you is a lie, that the man she knew was an illusion, and she might even hate your femme self.

On the other hand, if you have always been kind, patient, gentle, supportive, loving, and "feminine", she may have been waiting for you to come out, and might have even been afraid to let you know that she was attracted to you because you were so feminine.

Simply put, the more you've lied, the harder it's going to be to make amends for all the lies. For a woman, it's not the cross-dressing that's the issue, it's the dishonesty, the betrayal.

You need to be ready to support her in any way she needs you through all of this. If you have never told any other living person, face-to-face, about your desires, then you need to tell her that. If you have tried to tell others and it has gone badly, you need to tell her that. You need to let her know how vulnerable you are, and how much you love her and how much you don't want to lose her. She needs to know that you love HER, and find HER sexy, beautiful, attractive, and wonderful in every way. She also needs to know that this is not a secret you kept lightly.

Next, you need to let her begin to set the terms. How does she want to deal with it? If you're lucky, she will be into it, maybe even have some bisexual tendencies and fantasies, and will want you to make love to her as a woman. On the other hand, she may insist that you not do it at home, around the kids, or anywhere else where others might find out. She might suggest that you go to a cheap motel and dress up and stay in the room. She might want to dress you up evey night or all week-end, or she might want you to limit yourself to once a month at the motel.

But she may also have some other demands. She might want you to stop smoking, start losing weight, quit drinking, or do more housework like cleaning the house and doing the laundry - especially if you've avoided the "women's work" in the past. Even if she says she wants you to scrub the toilets, you should seriously consider ANYTHING she suggests as not a "It would be nice if..." but as something as important to her as your cross-dressing is to you.

The one thing that you can count in that she will very quickly be aware of how important this is to you. It was important enough to keep it a secret for all these years, and important enough that you were too afraid to even tell her for fear of losing her. It's only natural that she will want to use that leverage in ways you may not be prepared for, and can't predict. You can probably already guess what it is she will want, but more than likely there will be some twist to make it more interesting.

If you listen, really listen, for what SHE really wants and needs, there is a good chance that you will work out a solution that works well for both of you. She may even moderate her demands. You may end up having a much closer relationship as a result. One based on honesty, integrity, and authenticity and mutual trust.

Don't do it. Don't "come out". That is a HUGE mistake. If she finds out that you've been hiding it all along and "living a lie all this time, your marriage is over. Period. There are VERY rare exceptions. My advice to you is to "discover" that part of yourself WITH her. Joke about trying on her pantie. Say something like "they feel so nice on the outside, how do they feel on the inside?" If she goes along then you can ask to try them on. If she shoots you down you know her feelings and need to decide if you want a marriage based on a lie or look for someone else that is accepting of someone who is a CDer. If you didn't tell her before you got married, you have a lot of nerve expecting her to accept it now. Start out with the panties, see how it goes. If that goes well, SLOWLY work to expand. Make it seem as though you're discovering this for the first time and she's there with you. Yes it is still a lie, but the truth will still eventually come out, and you may have a slim chance of saving your marriage. I told my wife well before we were married that I liked wearing women's lingerie and was told it was "fine" and she didn't "have a problem" with it. Then 10 years later she left me saying she never knew the extent of it, when I tried to be open about the progression as it happened. I am now with an accepting girlfriend but she knew BEFORE we got together and knew me from years before.
    All I can say is "good luck" ... You're going to need it
    Last edited by Ashliegh; 09-17-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: hit the post button by accident before I was finished

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    Think before you come out to here. You won't be able to un-ring the bell afterwards. Under the best circumstances be ready for the questions about your sexuality, honesty, etc.

Realize you can't control her response to your pronouncement.

There used to be a sticky at the top of this forum on how to tell your wife. Rachel Morley's wife used to be an active member on these boards, and she put out a detailed and thoughtful post on methods one can take to effectively let your wife in on your little secret. It looks like all the stickys have been taken down. You may want to take the time to write her a letter detailing your crossdressing desires. This way you can say what you want to without tripping over your tongue and saying something you may regret a whole lot later. You can also include your deep feelings for her while you tell her about this. Best of luck, though. Very few women are down with this, and even fewer will appreciate why you kept it from her for so long.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I think in alot of responses, the main point is being missed. Assuming we have a relationship whereby one participant is happy, the other is not, for whatever reason( it's immaterial), something needs to change in the relationship, period, if happiness by both parties is to achieved. Hiding something from your partner that makes you unhappy for the sake of retaining a supposedly happy relationship, is foolhardy and over time, will return with a vengence. It's much easier to pretent/hide something from a partner thinking it will magically go away on it's own, but it won't( out of site, out of mind). If you stay in the closet, sooner or later, someone you know will find out, usually your partner. Would you rather have your partner surprisingly walk in on you sprawled out on the chesterfield dressed en femme and throw them into shock, or would you rather sit with them and calmly try to explain to them who you are, have been, and will be in the future. The result may or not be positive, that's the chance you take. What are your options? You can continue to live a lie, unhappily and take your chances of never being caught, and hope your desire to be gender enhanced does not intensify over time because that will just increase the unhappiness for you and the relationship. We all want two things in life, whether we know it or not; happiness and health, ultimately, the other things don't matter. You've got the health now hopefully. Do whatever it takes to get happinesss in your life and in your relationships with others and let destiny lead you forward.

Hi Girls,

I am thinking to tell my wife about CDing... Need your advice.

Kendra
    Hey sweetie
    You know you should have had this talk prior to the I DOs right? I was going to ask how long have you been married but that doesn't matter a bit. You want to now come clean (so to speak) now that Kendra wants more attention. Your wife should have had that choice prior to the vows, remember (the honour and respect stuff). I hope she truly speaks her mind when you do, I hope she says, "Oh that's so cute sweetheart lets go shopping" but I don't think that's going to happen.

Not trying to be nasty about this Kendra, just being honest.

This is my advice. Tell your wife you need her complete attention to talk about a few personal things you have going on. Ask her to pick a day to spend solely with you so that the two of your can talk this through. Time to pull up your big girl panties now Kendra, hope it turns out the way you want.

With respect
    v.

Previously GraceAnne
    When you realize that it will be your job to remind you wife on a daily basis why she loves you, then its time to tell your wife. Telling your wife isn't a free ticket to freedom. If anything, it is a free ticket to hell for your wife and a free ticket to walking on glass for you. Because when you tell your wife, her emotions will be all over the map, all the time.

Yes, she may place unreasonable demands on you, to which you should say, okay dear. For you, because I love you. Then it won't be such a big deal, because you made her more important than the cding.

She may say shaving is okay one week, then the next week, have a change of heart, then the next week, it changes back. It will be very frustrating for you, but you need to go with the flow. IF its frustrating for you, imagine what its like for her. To have no control over her emotions and no reason why she feels the way she feels.

Find a counselor first, so if its needed, you have someone on stand by to go and discuss this with. Don't wait until things are unbearable, then decide to take that step.

Be prepared to be an open book. And when I mean an open book, I mean be prepared to tell her EVERYTHING you have done, do now, and plan/may plan to do in the future. My husband has an email account. I don't care if he checks it, but, for some reason, I have to know that he has checked it or plans to check it. Like I said I don't know why, but I do. He respects that.

Be prepared for her to walk out the door. Not every woman does, but some do. But, also be prepared for her to be hateful, vengeful, resentful. Even if for a short time. If you love her enough, you will understand and deal with all of this.

Honestly, I could go on and on. This all could go on for a couple of months or a couple of years. If you are not understanding, such as some men on this site, then you won't make it. She'll either leave you or stay and be miserable. Either way, not good for you. It's been a year (of actually facing this head on in our lives. I've actually known 16 years. In a don't ask, don't tell way) for us. We're still not at a place with it that I would like, nor is my husband. But we are at a compromise that both of us gets something we want and both of us have to deal with something we don't want. That's compromise, right?

Please keep in mind that this is MY point of view. Some may apply, some may not. Each GG is capable of different things, based on previous life experience and previous life hurts and baggage.

PS. Under no circumstance do you tell her it is just clothes. Because it is not. Never. Not only is she dealing with the cding, but also the lies, the secrecy, the betrayal, the feeling of being duped and also feeling unsecure in her marriage and her life has just spiraled out of her control. Imagine dealing with cding, the death of your mother, your best friend and your husband, all at once. Yeah. Many women mourn the marriage/life they thought they had. Hence all the crazy emotions.

Tara-mxy:

"look how unhappy MoMarie is with her husband"

Tara I know you demanded to know whether I was "lawfully married" in your pm to me, I chose not reply as I sensed the direction you wanted to go.
    To dismiss me and to punish.

No, I am not "lawfully married".
    Yes we struggle with this but after 34 years we still care very much for each other and try to UNDERSTAND each other.

Kendra,

Only you know what is in your heart.
    Only you know your wife.
    I believe in a loving relationship you have more options that just staying in the closet or losing her completely...those possibilities are endless if you are both willing and able to put the others need first.
    [SIZE="4"]Momarie[/SIZE]

Hi Kendra

I think you should read the link in my signature

TG Marla refered to it earlier It has a lot of useful advice and I would say it is essential reading before you do anything
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I can't say in favor of or not. I can say that is probably not a good idea to keep secrets from your wife.

I've tried since I was about 25 years old (I'm now 58) to share the secret with my girlfriends. I've only had one gf that was cool with it (when I was 25). What made me so at ease to tell her was early in the relationship she told me she was bi. So if your wife is bi, she may find it fascinating. I've shared the secret with a few other women over the years, because I figured if the relationship became serious it should be known. No other woman was for it, and some felt as though I had another gf on the side. So, I wouldn't recommend it once you're married unless you know your wife has a kinky side.

Telling the truth may be just to clear your conscience. Think of how she'll feel and be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashliegh View Post
    Don't do it. Don't "come out". That is a HUGE mistake. If she finds out that you've been hiding it all along and "living a lie all this time, your marriage is over. Period. There are VERY rare exceptions. My advice to you is to "discover" that part of yourself WITH her...

Start out with the panties, see how it goes. If that goes well, SLOWLY work to expand. Make it seem as though you're discovering this for the first time and she's there with you. Yes it is still a lie, but the truth will still eventually come out, and you may have a slim chance of saving your marriage. I told my wife well before we were married that I liked wearing women's lingerie and was told it was "fine" and she didn't "have a problem" with it. Then 10 years later she left me saying she never knew the extent of it, when I tried to be open about the progression as it happened. I am now with an accepting girlfriend but she knew BEFORE we got together and knew me from years before.
    All I can say is "good luck" ... You're going to need it

I can't say that I'm a fan of the 'pretending to discover' as a way of revealing this. How much lying do you want in your life? What happens if she needs extra support from someone else going through this and discovers this site (and your posts?) Even if she doesn't find them by accident, I really think that joining THIS site in particular is probably the best for the SOs and wives of crossdressers to sort out their feelings and get support from other women who are going through the same thing with as open a mind as possible. If you want your wife to have the best chance of seeing this as normal, finding other women like me, ReineD, Sandra and many others who are happy with their CDing (or TS!) SOs - and women like Grace Anne, CINDYO and Momarie who have a hell of a lot of courage in the paths they are attempting to keep their lives and their relationships together as possible - is probably something she will need. Do you want to sabotage her path in this by not being able to 'let' her find this website? Changing your girl name so she doesn't realise that you premeditated so many little lies?

The number one thing that any GG needs, at any stage of learning about her SO's cross dressing or transgenderism, is patience on behalf of their SO. Let them go through the stages they need to go through. Some of it may not be pleasant for you; certainly some of it is not going to be pleasant for her. That's okay, you guys NEED to go through it, and together. Also, let's face it - you've had umpteen years to figure out what this means to you and get to the level of acceptance you are at. How much time has your SO had?

The number two thing that any GG needs is respect and love. If you don't love your SO enough to respect her, her boundaries, and the choices she is entitled as a human being to make about her own life - if you don't value your relationship enough to compromise and work together to a place you can both live with - then I'm not sure you should mess her life up. I'm conflicted about this. I think everyone should have the right to the information they need to make big decisions about their lives; but as CINDYO pointed out, that can be absolutely devastating. It's best to tell before marriage and serious life changes... but afterwards? Big fuzzy grey area.

Also - if you DO tell, I think honesty is incredibly important. YOU CANNOT LIE ANYMORE. It will just make it worse. I'm not saying you have to say it in the harshest way, but you shouldn't outright lie or deceive any more at that point.

Yes it would be a good idea to tell your wife about the CDing but only you can judge what her reaction might be but (always that but) i think you should not be doing with the attitude that it will allow you to CD all the time once she knows about it , acceptance does not necessarily mean full acceptance so be wise with it .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Chewies sister-moulted!
    In regards to all the replies here , have you asked yourself one HUGE question ?
    In light of the obvious you wish to tell your partner , strike up a relationship of understanding and acceptance BUT if you decide NOT to come clean , then the only real quandry is this - how long do you think you can keep it up ?
    To be at a crossroads isn't easy , but to standing still gets everyone nowhere . And no one can do that forever.
    I think perhaps you've made your mind up already , but in simple terms are cautious of reaction . Maybe that needs to be dealt with first . Deception ( that is how our secret is jugded on first hearing ) hurts like mad .
    To unload such a sensative , misunderstood part of our lives is truely an enlightening moment in so many ways . We are asking to be understood , accepted in disbelief . Unless the person concerned has an inkling " something " is going on then its never going to be easy . To engage in such a disscusion , it has to be realised - there are going to be questions , tears even heated moments . This part of a crossdressers life , the raw fearful part , it has to be dealt with in maturity honesty , but more importantly we have to realise we are going to rock that boat and hurt the someone we love. Maybe that needs to be dealt with first - learn how to comfort properly .

Either way , in the end it'll always come out ....... the truth always does .
    We just have to realise we do have the ability to engage in trying to change everything . And to be brave enough to try .
    The most important of factors in life .......... we only wish to be accepted and supported in exactly the same way our opposites do .

Think of your partners reaction .
    The last thing you want to do is hurt the poor girl .
    Last edited by Shelly67; 09-18-2011 at 06:39 AM.

[SIZE="4"]Please just be carefull, as women have the perogitive of changing there minds, like mine did
    They might be fine after the initial confession & questions, but be prepared for a change of heart
    They are also like the Gestapo, they know when there is something amiss
    Still to this day my gf routes, rummages, call it what you want, through my things, I have nothing to hide nor do I wear her things.

Take it easy & be prepared to be interrigated
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"] Mandy xx[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Dont knock it, till youve tried it[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Qualified & Insured Waxing Therapist[/SIZE]

I am thinking to tell my wife about CDing. I am not sure about the reaction from her but If she allows it then I can do CDing all the time and she can help me. I am not sure it can be back-fired also.
    There's no telling how she'll take it. I guess it has to do with her age, her personality, how close you are, how open-minded she is, whether the CDing is something you like to do once in awhile for fun as opposed to a deeper level where you'd rather CD than doing anything else. You did say she is supportive of you in everything else and this is a good sign.

But I wouldn't approach it from the POV of telling her because you need help. You did say you don't want to hide it though, and this is a better way to approach this ... you want to tell her because this is something that she needs to know about you. She'll have a lot of questions and you'll need to be prepared to answer them all. The CDing might make her feel as if she is losing her husband, but you need to not run away from the questions and instead help her to understand what this means to you. She may feel insecure about this, or she may well get right on board with this depending on the slew of variables I mention above and there's no way to know until you actually go through with telling her. Just please read this (I know Shelly Preston already provided the link, but I can't emphasize reading this enough):

How To Tell Your Partner

Now I Like It, Now I Don't

But, just know that if you decide to not tell her, you will over time resent having to hide, and she will over time sense you are hiding something and she won't know what it is. This is when trust breaks down in relationships and once this happens it's very difficult to get the marriage back on track. Even if you do decide to tell her years from now because you can't hide anymore, it might well be too late to get her on board with you. It's better to do it now.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tara-mxy View Post
    Sister girl, be very wary of GG's, most cases they will let a man down, just as all the ex relationships I have had as well as you have and most men or males on this site, over 50+.
    Tara, what happened? Eight hours before you posted above, you said you and your wife were going together to the SCC. Did you and she have a fight?

You say your first wife blackmailed you for $20k and I understand feeling burned by this, especially if you are now experiencing difficulties with your current wife. But, I don't agree that most GGs will behave this way especially if the marriage is sound, although it's true that generally there will be difficulties depending on her age and if she wasn't told beforehand. We have a high divorce rate in this country, whether or not the husbands CDs. But, if he does CD and things aren't going well in the marriage (due to the tension that exists when the husband feels he needs to hide), this brings added complications and can bring the marriage to a whole other level of ugliness. It takes two people to sour a marriage. I am sorry that both you and your wife are going through this and believe me I am fully aware of how ugly it can be when marriages end even when there is no CDing. I hope for your sakes it was just a fight and not the end.

I'm just trying to put it in perspective. You haven't had positive experiences, but if you read through the forum you'll see more instances than not of marriages who do survive rather well when a husband CDs.
    Reine

It's interesting how some members here, that have had bad experineces in telling their wife about their Cding, how they can tell you "Don't do it" based on their experience with their wife or SO. It also puzzels me how we talk about telling and never do we see where the one that wants to tell gives us any idea how much their wife loves them or if she is otherwise happy in the relationship. They don' share how happy she is now, before telling. Every relationship is as different as all of us are fom each other. There is no way to know how she will take it without knowing more about the health of the relationship as it stands now. No way of telling without knowng how open-minded she is or how devoted to making the relationship work.
    We don't kow if the Cder that is asking has otherissues that make the wife unhappy. Perhaps he has a serious drinin problem. Maybe he spends to much time doing what he wants and ignores the needs and wants of his wife. he may be selfish, thoughtless and cares more about his wants and needs then he dooes his wifes. If any of those things are true, no doubt the odds of her understanding and acceptance are next to none. it could be the straw that broke the camel's back and the relationship goes into a tail spin. However if he is a thoughtful husband that spends time with his wife, does not abuse drugs or alcohol, is a good friend and shares in all household concerns, he's got more then a fighting chance IF... and I do mean IF, the communication is good, the trust up until this point has been good, and IF the love is strong and mutual, then I think most women can learn more about the what and why we Dress and can adjust to it and keep the relationship alive and perhaps grow even closer due to this shared secret now out in the open.

I guess I have been lucky or blessed. I have told two past wives (first one died in 1984), and our releationships survived. My second wife and I divorced after close to 19 years from just growing apart. My being a CD had nothing to do with it. Today we are still friends and respect each other. My current SO and I have been together fo over 4 years and she knew before we even met face to face. She happens to be more then accepting since she has had past experiences with CD's She enjoys this part of who I am and it was part of her attraction to me.
    The point is, only the CDer that knows himself and knows his partner and the strenght of the relationship can make the call as to tell or not to tell. He should already kow ho she feels about many things such as gays, and other alternate lifestyles. He should know how her religious views might effect her acceptance. Above all, he should know that she will stand by him through thick and thin out of love. If he knows these things, knows she does in fact love him and he loves her, then by all means TELL! And the sooner the better.

It is very difficult to accept. I first found out after 5 years of marriage, but we basically went on "dont ask dont tell" so it didn't really help his cause of being able to dress whenever. Ignorance is bliss. That being said I think I'm glad that I do know. He talked to me about it "again" this summer (now married 22 years, it was probably a long 17 years for him).

There have been some really good comments. I agree you will be disappointed if you are just telling her to be able to dress more frequently. Take it slow. VERY SLOW! Be prepared to answer questions but also don't be afraid to tell her if you don't have the answers. I recommend giving her some time to sort things out after you tell her and really try to be open about discussing it if she is willing. It may be hard, since you have lived with this secret so long, to talk about it but it is important.

The reason I am glad that he told me is I hate to think of us as every having any secrets from each other. This is the only secret we have had, and I do understand his reason for not telling me. He didn't want to accept it himself. It will not go away, so because he has always been so supportive of me and I like to really "share" our marriage together I am doing my best. It is different for all of us. My best seems "wonderful" to many CDs and my husband is very appreciative. I still however do have lots of restrictions, that many CDs think would be unreasonable or they could not live with it. I have become comfortable with expressing my feelings to him about this and don't feel guilty for not accepting the parts that I don't accept. I am always willing to talk about it again in the future to see if my views have changed. But if not, oh well.

Also, it is important for her to see that you are still your masculine self. The husband that she married. CDing is just a part of who you are. She may feel that your femininity makes her feel less feminine. Even though it is not about her, she may feel that it is. Just reassure her along the way. My husband let me set the pace. That helped me feel in control and less overwhelmed. But I did try to at least have a pace, and some GGs if allowed to set the pace my just ignore the whole issue and you are back at square one. So set a date perhaps to discuss issues, and maybe another date to re-evaluate how things are going. Good luck and keep us posted with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by angies GG; 09-20-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I am curious. What did you do?

Kitty

Hi Girls,

Need your advice.

Kendra

Hi Kendra,
    just caught up on a few of your posts.
    Don't let the wealth of sincere experience here confuse (or even disillusion) you.
    It's very important for each and every one of us to gain his/her own experience all by him/herself.
    You're doing very well... enjoy your time alone... and look forward to seeing and being with your wife when she returns.
    Gaby
    [SIZE="1"]When Irish Eyes Are Smiling... In the lilt of Irish laughter... When Irish hearts are happy... And When Irish Eyes Are Smiling... [/SIZE]