Thread: What is with dogs and wigs?

What is with dogs and wigs?

My dog always goes crazy when he see's me in a new wig. He doesn't seem to recognize me the first few times he see's a new one. Anyone else notice this?
    "I am the beginning and the end. I bring order into chaos. "
    "I never tell the truth, because I do not believe such a thing exists. Truth, is in the eye of the beholder."
    "Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self serving, I shall simply say, good luck."
    "We give no crap, and we take very little."

Accepted by me and mine Andrea's Lynne's Avatar
    Hee-hee!! Mine is the same way but with high heels! When I'm practicing walking in heels (in guy mode) my dog goes whacko!
    Love

Lynne

My dogs stole one and made a nest out of it

Temporarily 600 miles north of my San Diego
    I can relate...when I see a wig I adore, I get so excited I don't know whether I should chew on the couch or pee on the carpet.
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

http://www.facebook.com/maxinesnotdead

LOL!!! Maxine, THat is some first rate com-o-dy!

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Girl View Post
    LOL!!! Maxine, THat is some first rate com-o-dy!
    Thank you, thank you! I'll be here, all week! Try the Purina!
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

The FW side of DFW, TX, but New Orleans is my adopted home town
    I swear my dog AND cat prefer Torrey to the boy side...
    Torrey

"Never laugh, and you will live to regret it.
    That's what living is to me..." - Jimmy Buffett

https://www.facebook.com/torrey.stephens

Gold Member
    when I saw the title of this I thought it was gonna be about really non-passable CD's who wear Hannah Montana wigs.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    when I saw the title of this I thought it was gonna be about really non-passable CD's who wear Hannah Montana wigs.
    Ya know! Mylie Cyrus isn't fooling me! That's a man, baby!

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Maxine View Post
    Thank you, thank you! I'll be here, all week! Try the Purina!

My dog doesn't get upset. She's part beagle and part hound, so she's got these big brown eyes. She'll hang her head down and just stare up at me with an accusatory look. I caught her looking at me like that once when I was dressed, and I yelled at her: "Stop judging me!"

She looked away, but I could tell she was still thinkin' it.

When I crossdressed for a school function, my cats were the first one to see me.
    They ran out of the room as fast as they could.
    "Move along people, there's nothing to see here."

i had a wig drying on a styrofoam head outside on the patio table. my dog walked up to the table, looked at it like she was scared and started barking at it. it was pretty funny.
    man, i feel like a woman

My dog is way too smart to be fooled by a wig and heels. He knows it's still me and acts just the same.

Or maybe it's that he's just too dumb to notice.

- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie86 View Post

My dog doesn't get upset. She's part beagle and part hound, so she's got these big brown eyes. She'll hang her head down and just stare up at me with an accusatory look. I caught her looking at me like that once when I was dressed, and I yelled at her: "Stop judging me!"

She looked away, but I could tell she was still thinkin' it.
    thats a beagle for ya.....

I think the whole thing just goes to show that dogs may be more intelligent than we give them credit for. Mine is a German Shepard/Chow. Just a run down of my dog's reaction. Initial visual inspection, results in a bark. Further exploration after hearing and smelling me normally result in a less suspicious attitude, and finally after I talk to him by name and pet him, he lets go of the suspicion completely and knows that it is me. Deductive reasoning on the canine level. The scary thing is, cats are several times smarter than dogs, so I wonder what a cat is capable of, beyond what we've seen as being documented (which is pretty amazing). Yes, the average cat has the finger painting skills of a 5 year old human child.
    "I am the beginning and the end. I bring order into chaos. "
    "I never tell the truth, because I do not believe such a thing exists. Truth, is in the eye of the beholder."
    "Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self serving, I shall simply say, good luck."
    "We give no crap, and we take very little."

Hi,

A different smell you dont smell right, or your trying to be some one else so let him / her smell what ever you have first before you try that on
    other wise she stand next to ya & pee on ya to make sure your who you should be, he he ,marking it to be sure others know or sussing you out , did her hackles go up & tail stop wagging ears back....

...noeleena...

Mine hate wigs or any hat other than a baseball cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Maxine View Post
    I can relate...when I see a wig I adore, I get so excited I don't know whether I should chew on the couch or pee on the carpet.
    You are too funny!
    Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in HEELS!

I don't have a dog, but one morning after I got home late...dropped my wig on my way upstairs and my cat took a nice nap on it! The wig was kind of ruined after that....lol

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    My dog is way too smart to be fooled by a wig and heels. He knows it's still me and acts just the same.
    Or maybe it's that he's just too dumb to notice.
    - Diane
    Dogs don't know people by their looks, dogs know people by the smell of their crotch.
    So since we now know how dogs identify people -

A dog's ONLY worldky concern is - is there anything to eat, like maybe a neglected morsel from the master's dinner?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Platinum Member
    My dog is not about to bite the hand that feeds her.

Orchid

My Buddy, [sorry I can't call him a dog] went for help when I fell and couldn't get up! Wigs don't bother him, but he enjoyed his T-bone steak while I ate a salad and baked patatoe! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Actually, Temple Grandin's book Animals in Translation talks about this sort of thing (though not in connection with CD-ing ). Her take on it is that animals (like autistic people) are "hyperspecific." They are very aware of the details and if something that has (in their experience) always been constant suddenly changes, they get anxious. To get an idea of what animals go through, imagine if you went out to your car one day and it was inexplicably a completely different color. You'd be pretty weirded out. Especially if there were no other differences (same stains, same trash on the floor, etc.)

If she's right, then if you wore a different wig every day, your dog would probably not be bothered by a new one. But if the old ones were similar in some respect, and you got one that differed in that respect (say, all the old ones were straight and the new one was curly), (s)he would flip out.