Thread: Gender Marker change/name change in South Carolina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar

Gender Marker change/name change in South Carolina

I will be moving to SC and I was disappointed and angered that I read that you cannot change your gender marker in South Carolina. Can anyone confirm this? I can't think that every TS in SC has a drivers license with an M on it. How about changing names there? Any help would be great. I still have my DL in PA. I know it is fairly easy to change in PA. I may delay changing my address and apply for a change in PA but I would prefer to do it in SC.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won

Hey hon all I can truly suggest, and this is not any educated resource but it is what I would do, get it changed as soon you can in the state which allows it! Once it is changed, I don't think it could be argued to be revoked in any other state, could it??????????????????????????????

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Some states can simply refuse to recognize the change

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Some states can simply refuse to recognize the change
    On what grounds? Seems to me a name / gender marker change ought to be a done deal unless the new state has probable cause to challenge it.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar
    Do you change your name at the same time? I would think you would have to.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    On what grounds? You think they need grounds to enact laws that get trans people both ways?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ri...r_reassignment

In the jurisdiction covered by the 4th Texas Court of Appeals, the 1999 case Littleton v. Prange defined that, for the purposes of determining the validity of a marriage, a person's sex is determined by birth. Though in the original case, the decision refused to reccognize the marriage of a male-to-female transgendered woman to a man, it cleared the way for transwomen attracted to women to marry legally in Texas.

In 2011, Texas state Senator Tommy Williams (R - The Woodlands) introduced S.B.723, an act which would remove the provision for a court order relating to an applicant's sex-change as qualification for a marriage licese from Texas Family Code ยง 2.005(b). This would effectviely deny marriage rights to transgender persons.

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    By all means do the document change in the easy state!!!! Then it becomes the basis for the other change in the new state.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis