Thread: T-blockers without estrogen

T-blockers without estrogen

Does anyone here have any experience taking T-blockers without taking estrogen or progesterone at the same time? My doctor said he's willing to put me on spironolactone now, but to wait for estrogen. He said it would succeed in making my testosterone and estrogen levels the same, thus allowing me to develop some minor female characteristics.

However, it seems to me that I'd just have low hormone levels. Obviously that could mean I'd have no sex drive, a lack of energy, etc. I'm a bit concerned about that

I want to know if anyone here has done it, and what your experience was. Or if you'd have any idea what being on T-blockers only would be like, even if you haven't done it.

Thanks everyone.

I am on spiro and finesteride now without estrogen. The main difference is not getting an erection. I still try to have an orgasm, but it happens only after a looong time working for an ejaculation. There is very little if any fliuid. The orgasm is very short and not very intense. My sex drive has been reduced, but I still get excited. I am a bit more emotional and my nipples hurt a little if I touch them. I have been on spiro about 4 months and finesteride about 18 months. Not much change anywhere else that I am aware.
    We cannot change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

Jannis your description of sexual functioning is the same as mine and I am on Estradiol and Progesterone. Sexually, estrogen has very little if any affect good or bad. I cycled my progesterone for awhile but it made me crazy so I stopped. I did notice a change in libido with the cycling of the P though. My libido is pretty health now but that doesn't change the fact that T is THE driver of erections and easy orgasms. Even GGs need T for healthy sexual functioning.
    Anyway, the short term affects are likely to be as Jannis describes but in the long run one runs the risk of developing Osteoporosis from a lack of sex hormones.
    just out of curiosity why take T blockers without the E? the E is what feminizes the body.

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I've heard of a lot of docs starting someone out with just Spironlactone. BUT normally this is just part of a "gentle" change over and the intention is to start Estrogen pretty soon ( a month or two ). Usually the Estrogen is started at a low level and then brought up slowly. Spiro by itself is not likely to cause much in the way of external feminization. I agree with your concerns, as low hormone levels are associated with problems (over a long period of time). Is your doctor an Endocriniologist or ?
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Remember that Spiro alone over time will in all probability kill your ability to get an erection, kill your sex drive, make you infertile, and change your physical package down below.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Jessica I did the same thing and the first thing I noticed was a calming effect. The testosterone levels went from 650 to 8.7 in a couple months and then I was prescribed the estrogen. The lack of energy and lack of sex drive is because of the diminished testosterone as but don't worry to much. That was 18 months ago and I am doing well as long as I get my afternoon nap in, LOL.

Teri

Banned Read only
    That is not,in general, a good idea. Your body requires a certain level of sex homones, either E or T, for many functions, such as maintaining skeletal integrity. Natal males have little E narurally, and spiro will dramatically reduce your T. I honetly see no rationale for that approach. It may be that your physician wants to "ease" you into this without permanent effects. However, IMHO you shouldnt start hrt if you dont want permanent effects

Thanks for the answers everyone. My long term goal would be to get on estrogen, but this would've been a temporary measure until then. I've think I'm not going to take spiro until going on estrogen though. Too many risks without many benefits, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica212 View Post
    Thanks for the answers everyone. My long term goal would be to get on estrogen, but this would've been a temporary measure until then. I've think I'm not going to take spiro until going on estrogen though. Too many risks without many benefits, it seems.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by long term but as long as the doctor is monitoring you you should be fine in the short term

I had also heard of this practice before, and the reasoning behind it is once the T is gone, and they start with E... they can start at lower levels and see better results ie: body isn't battling over which to follow E or T...

I could be wrong, but I do remember reading of it...

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    What's the point of taking only half of what is necessary? Sound the same as going to a crossdresser store and buying herbal hormones.

I was on finasteride for about three years after an experience of prostate cancer (cured, thank you). I would echo what Jannis said: My libido was not much affected but functioning was. I am off the drug now, thank God.