Thread: Gender neutral pronoun

Gender neutral pronoun

I think The transgender community needs to create a genderless pronoun so that people who are genderless, transitioning, or simply a mix of the 2 genders can be referred to without using the binary gender system that english holds to from centuries ago. Many people complain society thinks in a binary gender system, well as George Carlin pointed out we think in language, if we want to change how people think about gender we need the language to change to accommodate us.

How about "It"? Can't get any more gender neutral than that, can we? Or we could just speak another language, a new one called, what can we call it?, "T Speak", or something like that.

I don't think it was George Carlin, I think it was George Orwell.
    Also, this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ze

Ze is a doubleplusgood pronoun.

Here are all the choices:

http://genderneutralpronoun.wordpres...g/transgender/

It's a choice between Ne, Ve, Ey, Ze & Xe (as a substitute for he or she).

Here's a quote from the site on the abundance of choices. Sounds just like the issues we face in this forum over certain terms.

One of the biggest problems facing the adoption of a new gender-neutral pronoun is the lack of unity and organization among supporters of the idea. People propose new pronouns without knowing about the scores of previous ones, and people interested in using gender-neutral pronouns can’t find any they like, or can’t figure out why they like or dislike certain forms.
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-22-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Reine

Maybe we can copyright a font color, lol

maybe we need a hanky code,

I always thought a great name for a dog would be "Damit"

Naa...nevermind...I got nothin'...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I usually prefer just using a person's name myself. Pronouns are mostly for the sake of convenience.What pronoun they use in connection with me is moot really, as long as they know my name.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi,

Im just different & the names dont bother me tho i have allways been a female that just happens to have male as well. tho every one accepts im different & just a woman , well 95 % what lets me down is my masculine facial looks or features ,

So as it stands im just a I S woman. & really i'v left it up to others to call me what they like, as im really not bothered . Oh for the record im really happy being the way i am it just saved a lot of problems long term,

...noeleena...

I can see your point up to a point as i have often thought that if i say to someone that i am transgendered there will be several ways that they could think of me (not that it really matters) as it covers a lot of things in the TG spectrum, am i a male that whats to be a female, am i a female that wants to be a male , am i half and half, am i nether male or female , to tell you the truth i am not sure as i do not particular feel like ether yet i am both so i am not quite sure how you could come up with a title to explain that so for now i will stick with TG and let them figure it out themselves or ask me to clarify my particular interpretation of it (if i can)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

May be some people in the TG comunity prefer a gender neutral pronoun, but other people don´t. I would like to be a woman. In that case and when I dress as a woman, I prefer the female pronoun.

Na, I would rather be a someone then a something.

I just like being called She,Her,Maam,dole face darling,chic,sweetheart etc.my kids call me dad.my ex mates and some people that known me as a guy call me it,thing,queer,homo and other.

Classic Lingerie Lover
    When I'm dressed I'm "she" and when I'm in drab I'm "he" and glad of it, either way. Huh?
    [SIZE=5]Cathy[/SIZE]

I think sometimes we worry too much about worrying too much about the wrong things. I prefer to worry about whether Macy's still have the top I saw last week or if some savy goddess snatched it up due to my hesitation in decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    I don't think it was George Carlin, I think it was George Orwell.
    Also, this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ze

Ze is a doubleplusgood pronoun.
    http://www.jslweb.com/blog/2008/06/2...n-on-language/

Aspiring Member
    How about "yo"? "Yo need any hep with that?" Thank yo, thank yo very much. Yo sure looks purdy today. Leanne

We could just use a mix of gender terms when talking about anyone. Use 'he' just as often for a female as a male. That way, everyone would get an equal mix of pronouns, and it would encourage people to stop worrying about stupid binary gender issues.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Can't we be like some kind of fish that is able to change their gender depending on what is needed most?
    I am more of a CROSSDREAMER than anything else.

NO thanks gender Binary pronouns for me thank you

LEARN CHINESE!!

In Chinese, there is no word like she or he and every one is referred by a word equivalent to "it". A sample conversation would be like this:

Bf: Why dint you pick my call yesterday?
    Gf: I was busy. Zing Hu came on a vacation, and I went with "it" to bar and then just for fun, we kissed each other and got all the guys crazy and
    Bf: Is Zing Hu a guy or gal?
    Gf: "It" is a girl.

This was attempted with the feminist movement oh who knows how many years ago... the problem? we don't speak a language like Japanese that can make up new pronouns we have a set of pronouns and we must work with what we've got.

Turns out we do actually have a singular third person pronoun that most people (at least in my generation in American English, can't attest to other dialects at the moment)
    We use "They" to be ambiguous about the gender when talking about one person, the use has become increasingly abundant. The reason we use "they" is because it already is ambiguous about a group, so native speakers just transferred that meaning to a singular use instead of a plural use.

(also whenever a community creates a word to use for something it seldom if ever sticks people prefer the language being used already)

sorry.... I'm a linguist had to jump in on this >.>