Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Shopping for pantyhose at a supermarket

HELP! Shopping for pantyhose at a supermarket

So, the other day, when me and my girlfriend were at my neighborhood, we stopped by the local supermarket so she could pick up a few stuff including a pair of pantyhose. She doesn't know of my wearing pantyhose, and two days ago, when she left some of her stuff at my place to head off to work, I sneaked inside and found her pantyhose, tried it on and loved it. So, I'd really love to get my own pairs of this sexy pantyhose as it's quite cheap too and I know exactly where to buy them at! So, my dilemma is:

If I showed up on my own at the supermarket, filled my cart with various stuff, groceries, food, shampoo etc, and of course 2-3 pairs of pantyhose, what do you think the girl at the counter think? Would she imagine that I'm buying them for myself and simply assume I'm buying them for my girlfriend/spouse/wife? It's just that I'm not ready yet to come out of the closet and not care if people knew about my crossdressing. Please answer honestly, what do you think the counter girl would assume about me buying some pantyhose?

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Yes, that's exactly what she'd assume. That's the one and only time I have no problem getting some femme items - when I have a cartload of groceries and other items! And who's to know that your girlfriend isn't somewhere else in the store getting something else, leaving you to pay for the groceries while she does that? I wouldn't give it another thought.

Oh, by the way, what is the brand of pantyhose?

I would say she isn't going to care, she'll just scan the items through and I'd imagine not really pay any attention to what it is you're buying exactly, especially if you chat to her whilst she does it. It isn't as if tights are age-restricted or need de-tagging (like condoms) so the till isn't going to throw up a reminder for that she needs to do something with them or check ID.

That said, whenever I'm buying things that don't exactly match my outward appearance I head straight for the self service checkouts.

Hope that helps a little bit

Over the years I've bought a number of "female only" items (hosiery, makeup, "feminine protection" etc.) at the supermarket for myself and my SOs. The fact is that guys buy women's items quite regularly and I'm willing to bet that most of the pantyhose purchased by males is destined for their wives' and girlfriends' legs, not their own. Clerks think nothing of it.

Calm your nerves and buy whatever you wish!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

As the others have said, she probably will never raise an eyebrow. But do be prepared if she asks if they are for you. If she does, it is probably just a nice way to start a conversation with a customer. Just answer, "Sure, do you think I have the right size?" and then laugh. Or, make up whatever excuse you want. The check out person if not too busy gets bored and conversations always help make the job more bearable. Just be ready, just in case. Otherwise, go for it and don't look back. It really is easy.

You'll be fine. Men buy such things in the grocery store for their wives/SO often. The check-out person will likely not even notice.

AnitaH

Aspiring Member
    I used to do the same thing when I bought panties or hose at Wal-Mart, you know fill the cart with guy stuff.

After I came out to my wife and after reading hundreds of posts on here I decided what do I have to hide. I just pick what I want and pay for it. Went to Sears and bought 6 pairs of panties and paid in the womens dept, no other items, no fake list. I figure I don't know her, she doesn't know me and my credit card isn't stolen.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I buy female items at supermarkets and other stores all the time and never think about it twice. The stores want your money and that is all they care about! There is not enough time for the SA to wonder about who is going to use this female stuff! And a lot of the time I do exactly what Renee does, buy female items only! Like panties, or bras, or whatever! Sure it is for me, but who else knows that?
    Last edited by sissystephanie; 10-30-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I used to have the same concerns. I found that the clerk never really cared. They don't have the slightest idea why you are buying the pantyhose.

I used to worry about that, but it has never been a problem for me except for once. I was buying a bra at a thrift store and the price tag fell off of it before I got to the counter. I didn't notice and so when the clerk was ringing it up he yelled at the top of his voice "I need a price on a bra"...

Well, as you can imagine, I turned beet red. Lesson learned: always have the price tag on the item you are purchasing on the item before heading to checkout!

Outside of that one incident, there has never been a problem. Incidentally, I saw the same clerk working at a different store--apparently he had moved his employment. I happened to be buying a bunch of panties. I just handed them to him and smiled and said "hi" as he rang them up. He recognized me and made small talk. He was quite friendly and there was no problem at all. I see him there fairly often now when I am shopping there; it is a great place to buy clothing because it is a discount outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee W View Post
    I used to do the same thing when I bought panties or hose at Wal-Mart, you know fill the cart with guy stuff....Went to Sears and bought 6 pairs of panties and paid in the womens dept, no other items, no fake list. I figure I don't know her, she doesn't know me and my credit card isn't stolen.
    Hmm, come to think of it, that is what I did today. My wife and I (en drab) went to JC Penney. We had two coupons, one for $20 off a $20+ dollar purchase and the other was for $10 off a $10+ purchase. The coupons had to be used separately. My wife went to one register with four pairs of pantyhose (2 pair in Average for her, two pair in Queen Tall for me). I went to another register with two pair of tights, one patterned and one velour, both for me.

We both pleasantly completed our purchases and left.

While I was reading this thread I considered this and realized that I hadn't worried at all about what "someone might think" of a male purchasing female items. I've come a long way!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    You are an early Christmas shopper ( if you are Jewish or Muslim or w/e then you are also a FIRST TIME Christmas Shopper lol )
    and you will go into that store and talk to the cashier or whoever (staff) saw you with your gf
    and you need help to remember the brand name of the hosiery she loves ..for stocking stuffers.

Or just walk in and buy 5 - 10 pairs ( 5 for you ...5 for your gf, legit xmas gifts lol )) and nothing else.
    Most would assume you were SENT for them.

Aspiring Member
    Her reaction to a few packages of pantyhose will be the same as her reaction to a few packages of cookies.

well for me, i always had to buy random female products cause my mom would make me go out and get them. at first i was self conscious about it, but after about the 4th time it just became a regular thing. i started to start mixing in stuff for myself like nail polish, mascara, eye liner with my everyday shopping. im pretty sure the cashier doesnt care whats going on.

I used to worry about it when I first started as well. When my dad was on his deathbed, I discovered he also was a CD most of his life, and of all things, as we chatted, your question was one thing I asked him about. He said, "Don't worry about it - they're there to take your money and that's all they care about!" I don't worry about it at all any more. Once I got past that, the next hurdle for me was trying on women's things at a store. That took me a bit longer, but eventually I got to where I don't worry about that either, but am simply careful how I approach it.

Ann

You can not, and should not really care. Cd'ing is so much fun anyway. But on the real..they are going to notice and it will be remembered and factored in to your identity. Do not underestimate people, ever. If you show up often with your GF that will throw them off your scent if that is what you are after. It is tough to get the mind around Cd'ing...Enjoy your Hose!!!
    polythene pam

Usually the cashiers don't ever look at what you are buying. They just zip it by the UPC reader and throw it to the bagger or chuck the item in a bag themselves. You have nothing to fret over. Just for the record, it's none of their business what or who you are buying whatever for anyway.

Thank you for the support girls, I'll definitely do it then and be confident and cool about it. You've convinced me that it's nothing to worry about. I will post here again in a few days as soon as I've purchased the pantyhose to tell you how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Piora View Post
    Oh, by the way, what is the brand of pantyhose?
    It is manufactured by a well known Greek hosiery company on behalf of (and under the brand of) a major chain of supermarkets in Greece.
    Last edited by heel_addict; 10-31-2011 at 06:21 AM.

I bought my own first pair of pantyhose 43 years ago... My girlfriend called me up and asked me to pick her up a pair. Before our date. So I stopped by the supermarket and bought her a pair. And a pair for me. 1968.... Yeah the clerk stared at me. But way back then I didn't care either. Just go buy them. No one cares but you.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Panty hose are no problem. Even panties, for that matter. Many times a wife or GF will ask a male to pick up things like this at the store. She just specifies the brand and size. Even jeans can be bought by brand and size.

Bras, skirts, tops, shoes, makeup, etc. are a little more personal and the average female wouldn't send a guy to get them.

But, as several people have already pointed out, who cares? Unless the clerk knows you or unless someone else in line knows you, it's just a business transaction, over and done with.

If you don't want your wife/girlfriend to know about it, consider paying cash, rather than using a credit card and get rid of the receipt on the way out of the store.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

They probably won't care...unless it's a fella on the till, in which case any questions would be so far out of his comfort zone he'll just blank any possibilities in his own mind. In any case, there are some femme items that would be perfectly logical for a guy to buy. Make-up and nail polish all make perfectly good art materials and pantyhose make great polishing cloths for getting that shine on the car..better than leather any day. Well that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

She will not care.I buy my hose at sears I love their brand gental touch and no one has ever said anything or even looked twice at me.

Guys buy things for their SO all the time. If you want to feel more reassured no one will ask any questions just draw up a shopping list that you can say your SO made and make a point of reading it as you shop. That is what I do if I feel a little uncomfortable being seen buying something (Pantyhose is something I have to buy, I can't live without panyhose on under my drab clothes).

Platinum Member
    It wouldn't mean a thing to the cashiers.

If you are very concerned about the reaction of the sales clerk and feel you will be embarrassed go to the self check out!!!!!