Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing "age" appropriate.

Dressing "age" appropriate.

Hello my friends!
    It has been a very long time since I posted anything here. But this afternoon, as I am working around my house, dressed, and doing chores. It occurred to me that most of the time I dress in fashion, much younger then my age.
    I know GGs tend to "dress their age," (you don't see many 50 year olds dressed like a teenager with mini skirts, etc.) So I am just curious how many of you dress your age? Or do you dress younger or older for that matter?
    I guess for me, I just dress how I feel. If I feel like a teenage girl at some moment, then so be it. If I feel like the 50 year old I am, well thats fine too.

I'm not quite sure what "age appropriate" is. I dress "Abigail appropriate" myself. Then I can never go wrong.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

For me, dressing age appropriate is important. When I see some CD/TG's out, the first thing that outs them for me is age inappropriate dress.

Unfortunately for me, this means I'm much closer to Ms. Doubtfire than Kim Kardashian..
    Hugs and Kisses,

Vanessa Jane

Funny I never dressed my age. When I was young I dressed like my mother. And now that I'm older I dress younger... Ish. I will never ever dress like a granny. Lol. EVER!! And isn't that what makeup and wigs are all about. Making you look younger...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Funny I never dressed my age. When I was young I dressed like my mother. And now that I'm older I dress younger... Ish. I will never ever dress like a granny. Lol. EVER!! And isn't that what makeup and wigs are all about. Making you look younger...
    Well, A Coal Miner's Daughter (so to speak) would know that, right Karr?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I try to dress age appropriate, but the dresses the younger generation is wearing are so cute!! I do wear a lot of skirt and pant suits, which is appropriate for a forty-something businesswoman.

Really I don't get it - for most CDers (I think) it is the illusion of women they try to create. If it is an illusion then why dress like an old lady? Don't get me wrong I'm old (ish) and like to be more modern. It's just an observation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail Evans View Post
    Well, A Coal Miner's Daughter (so to speak) would know that, right Karr?
    I retired my Loretta Lynn wig years ago! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by *Vanessa* View Post
    Really I don't get it - for most CDers (I think) it is the illusion of women they try to create. If it is an illusion then why dress like an old lady? Don't get me wrong I'm old (ish) and like to be more modern. It's just an observation on my part.
    Wonder if they make wrinkly old looking granny breast forms?
    Last edited by Karren H; 11-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

All my dresses are from the 70s and 80s....so that's as "age appropriate" as I intend to get! Besides, my hair takes lots of years off of me, so I'm perpetually in my late 30s to early 40s. So I can wear whatever I want to.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Banned Read only
    I dress age appropriate for my 60+ years, including grey wig. When young my clothing choices were younger and my wigs were brunette and blond. I never wear anything but a dress and appropriate undergarments. My dresses range from 2-3 inches above the knee to mid calf length. My legs are still in nice shape. If I were as committed to cross dressing when I was in my 20's, I'd be wearing short mini dresses. I want to blend in and not stand out. to me there's nothing more startling than seeing from behind a really great figure in a dress made for a teenage turn around and see a wrinkled face of a 70 years old, GG or cross dresser.

At 61 years of age I suppose I dress age appropriate for the Cougar I represent

Aspiring Member
    Most often I prefer pretty over sexy which says a good bit about my age. I still have a short, casual, skirt are two for working around the house during the summer. i do like wearing younger things but the pink fog just doesn't last long when standing in front of a mirror.

One thing I try to make sure I don't go the other way which is more egregious than dressing too young .

Kitty
    Last edited by Kittyagain; 11-02-2011 at 03:28 PM.

If you are in your own home you may certainly "dress" in any way that you wish. "Age appropriate" becomes applicable if you are out in public. Even then, you may dress younger than you really are as long as your appearance is appropriate for where you will be and with whom you will be. Dressing so that you are "age and situation appropriate" makes it less likely that you will be given more attention than you may want.
    Hugs, Carole

I feel I dress more "appearance appropriate" than age appropriate. Sorry, but being 62 I just don't feel like an "old lady" and I refuse to dress the part.
    Then too, I don't try to dress like I'm 25 either. Since I feel and appear (according to my spouse anyway) about 45, that is the style I feel comfortable in. I like to dress nice, be it casual or dressy, but I'm not a slave to fashion nor do I try to look like something I'm not.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member
    Age appropriate means neither granny nor frumpy for 40+ CDers. There are women walking around in their 70s and 80s that are stunning without remotely dressing like kids. Think fashion rather than mom or grandma and you'll be better for it. On the other hand, if you can't pass - really pass - for a reasonably well put together 20-something GG, then take a pass (pun intended) on the down-to-here tops and up-to-there skirts. It's not a whole lot more complicated than that.

Lea
    Last edited by LeaP; 11-02-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: punctuation

Exactly Lea! Look at the majority of the GG's in the late 30s + range and the majority will dress differently from the 25 - 35 year old ladies. I dress as a 40 year old businesswoman would dress. I refuse to dress like an old granny, but on the other side I also refuse to dress like a 21 year old girl. Besides, its hard to wear 4" stilettos with a granny dress!! ;-)

Banned Read only
    I dress based on what I see as appropriate for a woman my age. Age, is always in a range. For me that is 35 to 45. The reason I choose this is 1) I do want to pass and 2) I ALWAYS notice the older lady dressing too young. It just screams "something is amiss." I do like younger styles but in the same way I don't wear my hair a la Justin Bieber as a man, I don't wear micro-mini skirts as a woman.

A wonderful example:
    When I am out with my wife (as John, unfortunately) and we see an older woman trying to dress like a much younger woman, it is not me that notices and makes a comment. It is my wife. GGs notice these things.

I always dress my age: 29. For (at least) the 20th time! (30th, 40th? I forget!)

Platinum Member
    I tend to dress the way women my age dress. Its easier for me to blend in and frankly I can better accomodate and compensate for my physical limitations by doing so. I just don't have the body to dress like a 20-something.

Aspiring Member
    I think generation appropriate would be a better term

If you are old(er) and dress too young (teen/20something), you are going to stand out. I'm 38 tomorrow and if I dress this way, I'd look like a tart, but I don't need to dress like a 40 year old soccer mom (which I have). If you don't care about passing, then this doesn't matter. If you are dressing for fetish reasons, this also doesn't matter.

This also goes true the other way. If you look young due to makeup/complexion/wig and dress too old (even if it is your real age), you'll stand out, too. That's why some of our older, more vivacious members here don't deserve to look like stereotypical grannies.
    —Mikaela

I dress the age that I feel I am! And a lady never tells her age! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Wonder if they make wrinkly old looking granny breast forms?
    Ewwwww! Karren, you know that we don't always allow "Anatomical Correctness" here on this site! LoL!!

I'm 60 and I enjoy dressing in younger styles. I'm pleasing only myself - I understand that - but I have my limits. I really think that if I had been born a GG and retained my same personality and other traits.... and they would be similar, I think because I have a lot of feminine attitudes and sometimes I believe I think like a woman, I would want to dress much younger than my age. Especially if, at age 60, I still had the figure to do it!!

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I am told that crossdressing quite literally takes 10-15 years off of one's age. So maybe not dress like a teenager, but i think you can basically dress how you want.

There's no way that I'm dressing my age (mid-seventies); what's the point. I was at a mall today and I saw scores of older women dressed much younger than their physical features portrayed, so if they can do i, then why can't we? Also, I saw a lot of younger females who looked like they didn't get any lessons from mom on how to dress and look nice.