Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do when the doorbell rings??

I have a peephole so I can measure up the "competition". If it a religious group, JW or the like, I'll answer the door and scare them off.
    The other morning i was sitting with my morning cuppa and someone knocked. I was in sober clothes, leggings and a sweater, no make-up, so I answered it. It was just a delivery guy so I took the package and thanked him. As i turned to go inside i looked down and realised I was in bare feet with fushia pink toenails...whoops!
    [SIZE="3"]Marcella
    [/SIZE]

Star sign Taurus
    Bull on the outside Belle on the inside

I'd say open it...

The Girl in a blue dress. Jennifer B's Avatar
    I would say answer it if you feel comfortable, ignore it if you don't. Being British I'm firmly of the opinion that, 'an Englishman/Woman's house is his/her castle.'
    You are perfectly entitled to slam down the portcullis and raise the drawbridge any time that you feel like it. If you can't expect absolute privacy in your own home then where can you expect it?
    It might be common courtesy to answer the door but it should never be an expectation. And the discerning caller should recognise this fact. It's perfectly acceptable to knock or ring a second time, but after this, they should realise that you have a reason for not answering and leave it at that. If it's important they can leave a note under the door or call on the phone. Either way they should respect your right to privacy. And you should never feel a compulsion to answer if you have reason to not want to. I think people should respect that, but with the advent of mobile phones now, people have got used to you being available all the time, which didn't use to be the case.

Chewies sister-moulted!
    Jennifer - spot on .
    It seems we now live in an age where its ok to question almost demand - where were you - why didn't you answear ?? Privacey has almost flown out of the window - it even crosses into the work place .
    I never ask , nor pry into a persons behaviour , but has anyone noticed how defensive people get when asked any questions ?
    Perhaps we live in an age of useless information , built on foundations of consumerism and greed .
    And it seems in SOME cases to have overspilled into bad manners .

Don't answer if you don't want to. Even if the music is going just tell anyone next time you see them is that you were not in the mood to talk to anybody and didn't answer the door. Anyway, after 3 knocks they will get the hint that you don't want any company.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahLynn View Post
    Knock on my door without calling first just might get you shot. I've been known to carry a gun to the door just because i have it in hand. Your guess, are you feeling lucky, then open the door and walk in. Come to the house without calling first, when the lights are off at night and you will spend time with the undertaker. During the day, take your chances.

SarahLynn
    So I'm not crazy for answering the door with a mossberg 500c ?
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    I answer the door because I am not certain someone isn't casing my house. If it is the middle of the day and someone knocks on the door I will usually answer with my S&W revolver hidden behind me. We live in a nice neighborhood but next door neighbor had a home invasion robbery a few months ago. Better safe than sorry.

Look out the window and see who it is. If it's the UPS man then answer it and get your package. If it's the neighbor then, darn....I must have been in the bathroom when you rang.
    The music is no problem...enjoy yourself, you'll still hear the bell and you can still be asleep in the chair and didn't hear the bell for the tunes.

Lots of reasons not to answer if it's someone you don't want to know. Lots of reasons to answer if you want to move a bit farther in this journey.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I recall those days. Well, to tell you the truth, at least one time I got caught I kow for sue but nothing came of it. Another time I got caught outside at the front door in a sultry outfit by the wife next door. Many times I almost got caught and I just layed low until they left. One thing you can do is put a note on the door stating you have gone somewhere and will be back around such and such a time. The neighbor will see it and assume you are not home, and IF you are not home, leave the damn stereo turned down! lol

Quote Originally Posted by eluuzion View Post
    I have a motion sensor on front porch that sets off a chime in my upstairs office. I have 3 surveillance cams on front of house (3 in back) with the monitor feed in my upstairs office, so I know who is out there. I have 2 way audio on one camera but as a rule, I do not acknowledge anyone at the door. I have the front door bell disconnected.

All of the louvers are closed across the front of the house. The back of my house faces south, so tons of sun through back windows. My car is always in the garage and windows are tinted so it is impossible to know if anyone is home. I have a sticker on the front door that says:
    We only answer the door to people we know.
    (That will keep a potential burglar guessing).

I have a killer audio system and blast music all times of day and night. It is mostly on below ground level and office on third floor, both on backside of house. So nobody can hear it outside. (I block my fireplace flue which would otherwise be a “speaker” directly to the outside). Access to back of house by car is impossible, since it is a valley.

I do not have a house landline phone on purpose. If somebody on front porch “calls me”, I can be “anywhere” I choose to tell them. Entering my property at night from back or front will light you up like a prison yard (if you manage to get over the fence, which is unlikely) lol. My friends all know to call before coming over. UPS/FedEx/Postal all know the drill with packages. All windows in back are treated with thermo tint. I can see out, nobody can see in so I can stand in front of windows dressed/naked, whatever.

Oh, I live alone. (except nights when I get “lucky”, lol).
    Life is good…

That's a nice setup - was it installed due to need or by preference?

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Bobbie View Post
    I'd say open it...
    Not a good idea! You need to be more aware of security issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer B View Post
    I would say answer it if you feel comfortable, ignore it if you don't. Being British I'm firmly of the opinion that, 'an Englishman/Woman's house is his/her castle.'
    You are perfectly entitled to slam down the portcullis and raise the drawbridge any time that you feel like it. If you can't expect absolute privacy in your own home then where can you expect it?
    It might be common courtesy to answer the door but it should never be an expectation. And the discerning caller should recognise this fact. It's perfectly acceptable to knock or ring a second time, but after this, they should realise that you have a reason for not answering and leave it at that. If it's important they can leave a note under the door or call on the phone. Either way they should respect your right to privacy. And you should never feel a compulsion to answer if you have reason to not want to. I think people should respect that, but with the advent of mobile phones now, people have got used to you being available all the time, which didn't use to be the case.
    Well said! No one has the right to enter your domicile without your permission, apart from police with a court order or a warrant, and firemen if the place is burning.

Quote Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    So I'm not crazy for answering the door with a mossberg 500c ?
    Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    I recall those days. Well, to tell you the truth, at least one time I got caught I kow for sue but nothing came of it. Another time I got caught outside at the front door in a sultry outfit by the wife next door. Many times I almost got caught and I just layed low until they left. One thing you can do is put a note on the door stating you have gone somewhere and will be back around such and such a time. The neighbor will see it and assume you are not home, and IF you are not home, leave the damn stereo turned down! lol
    So will a burglar. A note like that is like saying "Free stuff! Come and get it!"
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Now here is a twist to opening the door. I had a day off because the gas company was coming to put in a new line, so I decided to let Noel handle it. There were about four guys out there working and each of them took turns coming in to "have a look". Did that bother me? Not at all as i did this to build my confidence dealing with the public while "en femme". However I didn't expect my neighbor to come up to repay me the money he borrowed. It was quick change, say hi, grab the money, say good bye, change back and finish with the workers. Pandora, you did that on purpose,
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

Well I try not to let the Nabs see me when i go out but they have seen Denise going a few times and they are getting use to it.
    and Im getting to the point I dont cear if they do anymore. What the hell I go every where when im out any ways.

If I don't have my "face" on I am surely not going to answer - might scare them to death

I cringe if I am fully dressed and then try to sneak a peek on who is there. Otherwise total silence until they go away. Most of the times though I can just take off my garments quickly and redress and say hi. But if I have on make etc in full femme I ignore them.
    The shorter the skirt and higher the heel makes this girl happy.

I will normally just ignore it. The older I get the less I care weather people like it or not. Its rare though that someone will be knocking or ringing the doorbell and i am not expecting it. I dont know that many people except the people I work with. I am not that close with them so they wouldnt show up.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Banned Read only
    DUH!!!!! Answer the door silly!

i hide in another room till they leave lol

I answer the door only if I know who it is really. Lucky enough, most people who come over know. I did have my cable installed enfemme though. Had friends coming over at 6, he got there at 5.... A girl has to get ready lol

My therapist asked me this question -- and I admitted that I might be relieved at being caught that way...so come visit me, girls, and see who answers!

I always make sure that the doors are locked when I'm preparing to dress up. I will never answer the front door while in my bedroom primping. If a neighbor is trying to visit, I'll make an excuse for my absense.

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    I work for Big Brown
    Trust me I have see it all... signherepleasehaveaniceday.