Thread: If there were no mirrors in the world...

Mary Tyler Moore wannabe MarinaKirax's Avatar

If there were no mirrors in the world...

would you still dress? My wife is out today, and I have some Marina time. As much as I like to get 'girled-up" when the opportunity arises, I was thinking how little fun it would be if i was deprived of seeing how I present. The full length mirror is as big a part of the rush for me as the long, silky nylon-clad leg, the cleavage, the heels, or the hairdo. I need the visuals, people! If there were no mirrors in the world, I don't know how much I'd dress. What about you? MK

PS does that make me vain?
    God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. Farrah Fawcett

No doubt thatit would not be as much fun without mirrors, but yes I would still dress.

Talking I can't pass up a mirror while I'm dressing or when dressed

Quote Originally Posted by MarinaKirax View Post
    If there were no mirrors in the world...would you still dress?
    PS does that make me vain?
    Good question, Marina?
    For me, I can't pass up a mirror while I'm dressing, or when dressed, so I'm personally going "no farther" than Freud's arguement in On Narcissism that primary narcissism is a natural and necessary investment of one's sexual energy in oneself, a sexual version of ordinary self-interest.
    Note. The term "narcissism" was introduced in 1887 by Alfred Binet but its usage today stems from Freud's 1914 essay, On Narcissism. In Greek myth, Narcissus was a beautiful young man who ... tragically fell in love with his own reflection in a pool. (Source: Wikipedia)
    See Narcissus by Caravaggio (Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica, Rome)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would indeed continue to dress w/o mirrors, but my make up would be attrocious! Nice to see you again, Mirina!

I wouldn’t mind there being no mirrors but Suzy would. She is sooooooo vain!

SUZY

Of course I would..It's more than the reflection..It's the sensual feeling I get from the touch of the feminine clothes I wear...The way it makes me walk like a woman...
    You're not vain Marina...Just appreciative of a stunning woman's visage...If that's you in your avatar, you're gorgeous..smooches Jackie
    Jackie

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'm not really sure how I would respond to a world with no mirrors. I'd probably still dress, I don't see how that part of me would change, but I would be starved for feedback. So maybe I'd be more frustrated by not knowing how I was presenting myself. Yes, my makeup would be terrible. I think we would end up relying on someone else to apply our makeup and my wife doesn't need much, so she never developed the skills that would translate to transform me to something acceptable.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Gold Member
    I think most of us are vain and therefore like the mirrors to see how good looking we are. For me, I need to add some smoke to the mix. But I don't believe the lack of mirrors would change how we feel. Would the absence of any one item stop us from dressing? I doubt it. Even the lack of a camera doesn't stop many who dress but don't own one.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I might still dress ... a better question for me is: if there were mirrors, but no cameras, would you dress? The answer to which would be, emphatically, yes! It's the look I get at myself in the photos I take that bring me down; if I only look in the mirror, I tend to focus on one aspect of my appearance; when I look at photos, I see the "whole enchilada" and get depressed.

the happy camper
    I suspect that I wouldn't have progressed the way I did. Seeing myself in the mirror was a big part of the positive feedback loop that encouraged and developed my crossdressing.

I assume that this alternative world would not have cameras either, right? *sigh* Yeah, I'd probably give it up....

If there were no mirrors, I would still certainly dress and paint my nails. I feel that applying my makeup is a big part of the satisfaction of it, although my girlfriend would still want me to wear it, so she would have to do it for me.

Mary Tyler Moore wannabe MarinaKirax's Avatar
    Yes, its me in my avatar, channeling my Erin Burnett come Mary Tyler Moore look. I can rustle up more cleavage, though! MK
    Quote Originally Posted by drag n fly View Post
    Of course I would..It's more than the reflection..It's the sensual feeling I get from the touch of the feminine clothes I wear...The way it makes me walk like a woman...
    You're not vain Marina...Just appreciative of a stunning woman's visage...If that's you in your avatar, you're gorgeous..smooches Jackie
    God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. Farrah Fawcett

I have two mirrors in my house. The one on the back of my bedroom door faces the closet, so I rarely see it. The tiny one on the bathroom mirror has a picture of a very pretty girl on it, who somewhat resembles how I used to look when I was in high school, so should I for some reason look that way, I see how I would have liked to have looked back then (Same hair color and style, the girl in the pic simply has a slightly more feminine facial bone structure, also with what I believe is a tiny amount of make up). I never see myself in a mirror. So yeah. Mirrors have no effect on my life.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

If there were no mirrors I would invent one! Of course I would still dress! Unless there were no clothes! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Hi Marina, I would definately miss the mirror, but I think it might also make me tune in even more to my other senses. The texture of the clothing, the feel of the dress against freshly shaved skin, the smell of the cosmetics, the sound of heels on hard surfaced floors. I enjoy the "process" of the transformation even though the mirror is the big payoff.

Suzanne
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

I would certainly still dress. For me there is so much more than sight. The feel of the clothing, the sound of the heels on the floor, and the calmness I feel would more than make up for the lack of mirrors. Besides, how good would the makeup be on our SO if they had no mirrors either?
    "When you come to a fork in the road, Take it!" - Yogi Berra
    I guess I did!

Sure I would dress, without mirrors, it would be more like under dressing, and I still do that. My make up is bad with a magnifying mirror, I have no idea what it would look like without one at all, but I would still try, after all, I could feel it, and not have to see how bad I look.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I can't imagine dressing and making up and not being to see myself in the mirror. Some dress for the feel of it and don't need mirrors. I like the feel, too, (and the smell and sounds) but the visual image is what overwhelmingly does it for me.

If there were no mirrors in the life would be even more enjoyable.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud