Thread: music and you

Smile music and you

my first memories are assigned to music. mum feeding me as a baby with "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the radio; running crying to her and scaring her, only for me to point at the radio (that was playing a violin concerto) and blub, "it's pretty." music has been a massive part of my life and remains so. i have many great loves across multiple genres and i've easily maintained my passion for it.

but there is one album that will forever affect me like no other. it echoes my sad, it reinforces my joys, it's philosophical when i need leveling, trite when i need to shrug my shoulders. it tells me that everything's going to be ok.

do you have a record that will always be there for you?

Sure do .....Tom Petty's " Learning to fly". Says it all for me ............
    " I'm learning to fly"..............(Tom Petty).

Nope. Don't have a theme song except maybe "I want to drive the Zamboni" by the Zambonis! Lol.

"I went down to the local arena...... Asked to see the manager man...... I want to drive the zamboni.... I want to drive the Zam bon I.... "

I do remember going on the bus all by myself down to the shopping center and going to the record store and buying the 45 of "I want to hold your hand"...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Yes I do.
    I was ill and depressed about 12 years ago.
    Without thinking I turned on the radio. What came out was Beethoven’s Romances no 2. in F major [Op50]

It put me on the road to discovering Classical music. Like finding treasure!
    Last edited by suzy1; 11-14-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Just an observation....this probably should be in Media

Quote Originally Posted by marlaNYC View Post
    do you have a record that will always be there for you?
    Yes. Mine is "Sweet Transvestite" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Sorry Marla - J/K - I know you're looking for serious responses.....

Probably a lot of the early Beatles songs really do it for me, too. Music for me, is a form of time travel. I'll hear a song, and I will be transported in my mind to a time and a place that I associated that particular song with. Sometimes it's so intense, it's like an out-of-body experience.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Banned Read only
    Anything Pink Floyd , anything Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music and anything Joy Division.

Julia

The soundtrack of my life wouldn't fit here. Music's always playing in my heart.

and what was the b-side of "i wanna hold your hand"?........"i saw her standing there". what a 1-2 punch

My earliest memory is related to food. I remember being outside, toddling my way down the steps, seeing my dad eating a cookie, and reaching and squeezing my hand to ask for a cookie. He have me a cookie, but it was a ginger snap instead of a vanilla wafer. It burned my new mouth, so I started to cry and spit it out. Mom gave me a vanilla wafer. To this day, the entire episode comes back every time I eat either a ginger snap or vanilla wafer. I like both these days.

My earliest memories of music was my mom playing "Surrey with the Fringe on top" from Oklahoma on the piano. The movie had come out the same year I was born, and back in those days, you didn't get records, you got the sheet music to play on the piano. Mom wasn't a great pianist, but she was pretty good and we often gathered around the piano and sang together later.

It's "Ruby" The words describe how I feel. Also is why I picked the name. Ruby

Silver Member
    My musical tastes are all over the map. For a pick-me-up, the 1993 World Pipe Band Championships or maybe Roy Buchanan. Linda Rondstadt ripping on Telling me Lies. Pavarotti with Pieta Signore. Francisco Aguabella's version of Watermelon Man. Silly Wizard's The Queen of Argyle. Earl Scruggs. Buena Vista Social Club's De Camino a la Vereda. Most classical organ. Thing is, I have to stop to listen to music. I stopped it when I started typing just now. I rarely listen to music in the car. I don't like it in the background. It's all or nothing at all (!)

Lea

Roy Orbison - Pretty woman (me?)
    Poison - Something to Believe in (I hope he finds it)
    Eagles - Heartache tonight (all the hookups that never were)
    Linda Rondstadt singing anything (she holds my heart)

I be COUNTRY all the way! Charlie Daniels song ''Long Haired Country Boy'' does it for me!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

some great music in here! thanks for all your contributions. i feel it's turning into a 'greatest hits' thread, though, when i was trying to find out if you have music - or art, or a book, or a movie (or food! @DebbieL, lol) - that always settles and centers you, that takes you on an emotional journey and delivers you safely back into a rewarded state.

@gabimartini, yeah me too, which is why i tried to keep it simple

@Piora, no wasn't specifically looking for serious, just curious to hear how others think

In the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and The Dominoes, the title song and the whole album just make me happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is too short dress whenever you can!

My musical tastes are all over the map but I'm particularly fond of German Baroque vocal music. My most recent purchace is Dieterich Buxtehude Vocal Works 5, Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir. But the one song that defines me as a person is "Johnny Are You Queer?" by Josie Cotton.

It would be The Beatles for me, their first album when I was younger. It always seemed to be playing at our house when I was young.

When I'm in a dark mood Early Black Sabbath is my go to.

Friends welcome
    Have a couple songs that have meaning to me. "Rag Doll" by Frankie Vallee and four seasons takes me back to my early days of dressing. "Angel of the Morning" by Juice Newton reminds me of when I finally found a good understanding friend.
    A little bit of powder and paint,
    can make me look like what I ain't

I have a couple of albums that make me take a trip inside myself. "Serenades" from Anathema, "Icon" from Paradise Lost and "The Angel and the Dark River" from My Dying Bride — yep, the glorious days of UK doom/death. heavy, but melodic as hell. listening to them now, 15 years later, they keep their qualities, even tho they sound a bit dated. but when I listen to any of those albums, I go back to the worst part of my early teen years, feel alone, vulnerable and miserable. then as the album goes (and metal works its magic) I start to feel powerful, stronger, and at the end of the record I'm a new person — but emotionally exhausted, like the end of an intense therapy session. I'm terribly sensitive to music. and I love it above all other things. <3
    [SIZE="1"]It is fatal to be a man or woman pure and simple: one must be a woman manly, or a man womanly. — Virginia Woolf[/SIZE]

Gone cottin choppin.
    Last edited by MarcyHunter; 01-11-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Gone cottin choppin.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    There are songs, and general genre that have found touchpoints throughout my life. Some of them make me think about why i only realized cross dressing so much later in life, How could I not notice the little things in my life earlier.

early Franki valle songs. Big girls dont cry. Roy Orbison, Pretty Woman. etc.

Listening to the Zak Brown Band during my coming out period, so his music is close to me right now. the song We're Both Trying to Drive (not title which I think is just Driving) really addresses the two people who make me up, and are driving my life.

Music is the element that brings us all back to those moments. Great thread topic

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Jazz, first and foremost. My earliest memories of music are the Saturday nights of my father listening to WRVR (and them playing John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Dizzy Gillespie, and of course Louis Armstrong). My own tastes go even further back. When I'm depressed I'll listen to a lot of 1920's jazz recordings (King Oliver, Bix Beiderbecke, Fletcher Henderson for example). The music is peppy and soulful. Picks me right up!
    -Audrey

I like jazz and blues. Jazz because it is complicated and rarely fits in the box the world builds around music. Blues because life is hard and real.

Marla, I thought of you when I was in NY the other day.
    This time of year, Pretty Paper By Roy Orbison breaks me up.
    Most stores have it on their background music at the moment.
    I think of NY and roasted chestnuts sold by the street vendors. (They tasted horrible, never again.)
    Other tunes, Last Date by Stanley Kramer and Velvet Waters an instrumental by The Megatrons.
    This last tune I use on my cellphone as a ringtone.
    This and Last Date will live with me forever.
    Jazz does not interest me and Here I am In New Orleans.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 12-12-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Answering Marla's question.