Thread: I just came upon this statement on a web site about crossdressing.

I just came upon this statement on a web site about crossdressing.

“It appears that for many the clothing serves as a “lens” to facilitate focusing upon and developing personality elements society has assigned to the opposite gender”

I thought this was a nice way of putting it.
    I feel it applies to me anyway.

SUZY

Kinda like the shorter the skirt the better the economy perhaps. 'Tis like a full length dress with a 15 meter train here.. yikes !
    <humor>

edit: maybe too abstract.
    Last edited by *Vanessa*; 11-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    “It appears that for many the clothing serves as a “lens” to facilitate focusing upon and developing personality elements society has assigned to the opposite gender”

I thought this was a nice way of putting it.
    I feel it applies to me anyway.

SUZY
    It is nice, though I don't see any personality difference in myself ... but maybe that says something about identity, as the notion would account for the need to dress. Development seems more straightforward and makes sense. Where is the reference from?

Doesn't sound right to me personally. I don't put any kind of significance on my CDing... I just do it because it's fun, what need is there to analyze that?

I think you could be right.

Just a light hearted, spontaneous sort of a thread. Or I thought so.
    No deep meaning.
    Please don’t get heavy with this one girls. I have had enough of the heavy threads for a bit.

A well meaning Suzy

If my clothing is my lens, then I need a different prescription because I'm still blind as a bat without my glasses.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Suzy I like the way that statement was worded. Especially the fact it was kept simple. Works for me!

I have been using crossdressing wrong all this time I have been trying to use it as a lens to get everyone else to focus on me. Damn always late and ass backwards, story of my life.

This works for me; Rachel embodies many aspects of my personality that I need to suppress in order to avoid criticism or judgement of my male persona. The key word here is "many" which could be anything between 99% and hardly any!
    hugs for everyone!
    Rachel x

Sound like they over think things!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

i like:

i dress because it is Me.

Very well said, that statement. I often felt that myself.... the clothes take us to that new personality and femme way of being...
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Sound like they over think things!
    I agree!

Sounds like it was written by someone who NEVER crossdressed!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I like that analogy a lot. thanks for sharing that.
    Mary

Some people just have a need to seek complicated answers to simple questions.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I like simple answers to complicated questions myself.

Why do we dress? What happens when we do?

There are two separate issues here.
    1. Why would someone Choose to dress - Motivation
      There are numerous answers, they could include:
      • Sexual pleasure - fetish, dressing for pleasure.
      • Entertainment - Drag shows, theatrical purposes.
      • Desire to LOOK like a woman - Crossdressers.
      • Desire to feel like a woman
      • Desire to BE a woman.
    2. What are the effects of cross dressing on the dresser?
      • Physiology -
        • Different sensations,
        • more flesh exposed,
        • more body shape exposed.
        • more body awareness
        • less "Hidden"
      • Sensory -
        • Lighter and thinner fabrics improve perception of touch.
        • Often enhanced with perfume,
        • Preparation - bubble baths, shaving body, hair removal.
        • Aware of gentle touch, wind blowing, movement of clothes...
      • Emotional -
        Feel more vulnerable,
        more aware,
        mildly aroused for extended periods,
        less aggressive,
        more patient

The interesting thing is that these changes have even been observed in men who were required to wear dresses. Several years ago, treatment program for domestic abuse included a requirement to spend one week dressed as a girl, and his wife got to choose the wardrobe each day. Furthermore, they were not allowed to joke, or in other ways make light of what they were doing.

By the end of the week, most of the men in the class had learned to "pass", and their entire attitude toward women, especially their own wives, had shifted dramatically. In most cases, the wives, who had often been forced to wear short skirts and tight tops as well as heels, made their husbands wear similar clothing.

In about 80% of those taking the course, the results of this particular exercise was dramatic, and lasted far beyond the end of the course.

This was reported on Television several years ago, but I was unable to find a link reporting the practice and the results. It may be that religious fundamentalists demanded that the program be stopped.

In Sweden, kindergarten boys were required to cross-dress for a week or more.

In one school boys were required to cross-dress for a "fashion show" during Women's awareness month, but was canceled due to right wing morality.

The teacher tried to explain the purpose.

Kind of like the book about the android, I dress therfore I AM!

Is there any way to print something like this off this site. My wife really does not like me CD but after reading this it I could show her and ask her to read this it might help her to understand me and why I have to do what I do. I feel trapped in a man body and always have.
    I also have a ? to any CD. When you go out as the person you want to be (a woman) like to a movie, dinner or etc. and get the call to go to the rest room th me CDhow do you? After all there are on heck of a lot of people out there who love to call the police if they are in the rest room and a man dressed as a woman would go in. Their husbands would probably be a problem too. I know I would understand now but making my wife who has a hard time with me CD would not and being from SW Kansas most women would not. Any one who can answers my ? please. Bonnie Sue