Thread: where is the best place to start?

where is the best place to start?

Only new to cd and wondering where I should start. I have dressed in family members clothes before but have never used make up or a wig. I still live at home and no one knows I cd so how do I go about starting my journey ?

You have started, you are here.

You start by getting your own things. Wearing those of your family members will likely lead to you being discovered eventually, and it is frequently the case that such family members will be angry at having their clothes worn without their knowledge.

The best way to start is to let your own feelings guide you.

Some people enjoy going out fully dressed, while other long time CDers simply enjoy under dressing.

You need to find out what direction your feelings are going to do take you, and move slowly - sometimes moving to quickly can get you caught before you a ready to come out.

There are many "steps" people take. I personally am only comfortable going to stores that have self checkouts, and I under dress (no bra). I have not learned to do makeup yet. I personally don't think I will get to the stage of dressing outside, but one never knows where things take you.

It can be very scary to start doing things that can risk getting caught. I know how long it took me to get the courage to simply wear a pair of panties under my regular cloths without a pair of boxers over them. That was nothing compared to the stress of going to the store the first time to buy my own cloths.
    Last edited by Linzy; 11-22-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    If you aren't who you are, then who are you?

I have to agree with Julie. People remember where they put their things and the condition of them. They can't remember where you put your things or the condition of them.

Yes do buy your own things. Whatever you like. You can start slowly by under dressing. Now that its getting colder (depending on where you live).. most people wouldnt notice a bra under a bulky sweatshirt. You could wear panties as well. Paint your toes.. I used to be nervous when buying womens clothing. If your going to a big store like walmart or something similar. The people that work there have seen it all. They really could care less about what your buying. Whatever you decide you just have to make sure you are comfortable with it.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

I started with a pack of bikini panties and went from there. You can buy a thing here and a thing there along with other things like oil filters (did that one), dollar stores, second hand stores, etc. are good places to start and aren't very expensive. After you find out your sizes and your tastes in clothes you can get into some better quality things. The more you shop the more confidence you will get and soon you'll be asking sales ladies for help. Just getting to that level myself.
    Pam

"I am a stronger woman than I ever was a man." Living full time since Oct 14th 2012.

Your ship has sailed and you'll never want to go back to port. The first thing I bought for myself was a pair of pantyhose. Billie Jean

You've dressed in other peoples clothing, so you are not starting, you are progressing. I think almost everyone starts in other peoples clothing, especially us that started early in life. As far as what to buy, that depends, where do you have to hide it, and what kind of budget you have to work with. Any clothing store on line will help you learn your sizes, on the order page, there is generally a link to a size chart, all you have to do is measure yourself with a cloth tape, and follow the charts. Then when you go shopping, you at least know what sizes to be looking for. Walmart and Kmart, stores of that type can be a cheap place to start with under things, for skirts dresses and blouses, thrift stores are a good place to learn what looks good on you, and what styles you are going to like, without spending a bunch. End of season sales are some great bargains at many stores, wigs are a specialty item and you can go on line, or to a wig shop, and tell them it's for yo, they will usually help you find what works best for you. make up, try a neighborhood drugstore. Also make up company's like Mac, put out some great tutorials on line. Have fun, and remember store clerks don't care what you buy, they just need you to buy!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I would say that the first step would be that you need privacy and your own space Hon. Without a measure of freedom it's kinda hard doing what we do.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Just bought my first pair of panties online really excited cant wait till they arrive so I can start my new adventure

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail Evans View Post
    I would say that the first step would be that you need privacy and your own space Hon. Without a measure of freedom it's kinda hard doing what we do.
    I don't know how old you are, or how far you may be from striking out on your own, but it certainly is easier to to start building a wardrobe, practicing with make up and so on, if you are earning your own living, have your own place and a modicum of privacy.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    Now is the perfect time to buy some things for yourself. Everyone is shopping for Christmas, so you will not look at all out of place in the Women's or Juniors department. The SA's will eagerly assist you, just tell them you are buying gifts for a family member or girlfriend. Buy whatever you want....nail polish, panties, tights, skirts...have fun with it!! Nobody will know but you!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

I have to agree with Abigail and Kim. Above all you need privacy to experiment with clothing and discover feelings in yourself. If you have been dressing in family members clothing you should now be able to determine what sizes work for you. When you know your sizes .. K-Mart or Walmart, any large department store is fine for a few initial items . . . undies and skirts. Believe me, those stores don't care what you buy, they just take your money.

In the beginning, I felt more comfortable making purchase when a store first opened and there weren't many people around. It felt weird at first buying stuff with other people behind me in line. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    You start by getting your own things. Wearing those of your family members will likely lead to you being discovered eventually, and it is frequently the case that such family members will be angry at having their clothes worn without their knowledge.
    I agree with Julie...
    For one thing, it's a recurring theme that the female relative/SO gets as offended by having their belongings pilfered as they do by whatever social or moral line we cross by wearing the 'wrong' gendered garments.
    BUT- what I was so surprised at was when I first put on something that I'd picked out and purchased for myself. For myself, wearing my own garments for the first time took me a great step forward in my frame of mind and understanding a broader sweep of what I was trying to achieve.
    The older I get, the more real I feel. And what I feel is not all that I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please visit me on Facebook - Dina Walker http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003166749185

Seems to me you already started or you would't be here. Having said that, start shopping for your own stuff. Biggest mistake you can make is buying things you fall in love with that do not fit you! Only buy what fits you. Probably best to buy used stuff first. You will soon come to realize what looks totally perfect on the rack looks better on the rack, so just because you love it does not mean it will look good on you. Study women you think look fantastic and write down what you like about their look. Then buy something similar and see if it what you feel is you or not. If not, move to something else. Eventually you will strike a balance that is all you.

Christi Sparks
    No matter what you decide to buy make sure that the items fit. Nothing is worse than buying wrong sized stuff.

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefelchris View Post
    No matter what you decide to buy make sure that the items fit. Nothing is worse than buying wrong sized stuff.
    Been down that road!
    >>..................................<<

I shop thrift stores as I was just starting out... Wed was half price day.
    Now I just shop like anyone .. Old Navy, Dress Barn, Kohls... i have learn from the wrong size stuff to try it on before you buy
    Last edited by Beth Mays; 12-11-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Online shopping at Zappos and Nordstroms are great. The both have free shipping both ways, so if something doesn't fit, you just send it back for a refund. Nordstroms can be a little pricey, but they have lots of sales. You can put something in your shopping cart to "save for later" and check to see if the price falls.

Aspiring Member
    You have a huge advantage starting out these days: online shopping. By all means, study the size charts and be realistic; too big is a lot more acceptable than too darned small. Assuming you have money and a way to receive packages without family members asking what you got, anything your CD heart could desire is out there online, some of it amazingly cheap compared to in-store prices. eBay alone could connect you to any number of sellers of inexpensive women's clothing. Once you're a customer in their files, getting more stuff is easy. The know all about customers like us, and they often tout that they ship in the traditional plain brown wrapper.

One note on wigs: you won't find anything that looks nice for less than about $50, so be prepared to shop around and choose carefully. Virtually any cosmetics counter has makeup kits with a good assortment of products. I bought a set of brushes years ago by asking the clerk to recommend a set for a fictional niece who had a brush set on her list. It doesn't take a screenwriter's creativity to make up harmless stories that remove suspicion and let you relax. Ask for gift boxes and receipts, ask if "she" can return it if it's the wrong size. I once took a garment back to exchange it for a larger one and lightheartedly explained that I had been accused of suggesting that "she" go on a diet. After a while, as you get older, more experienced, and more confident, you'll probably end up like a lot of us here, walking into stores en femme and acting like you belong there.

Enjoy the journey, and welcome.

that is a big true...wrong sized stuff don't look nice and than you can't feel comfortable...

Go slow with the makeup. Less is more.
    I am not who you think I am

Thrift stores are an inexpense way to start. Also after the holidays there are many sales to choose from as well.