Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance of a lifetime

Chance of a lifetime

As a part time CD’er, I have always wanted to venture into public. But my wife and I have an agreement that; 1) all dressing takes place in the bedroom, nowhere else. 2) she will not participate. Well a week ago I was asked to join in an event at a mall for our church whereby 5th & 6th graders have to find their leaders who are in disguise. Our program director and I were talking about how a 6’2” middle ager would hide; she looked me in the eye and said “We’re going to make you a woman.” My mind said “Stay cool here” while my heart was about to start singing. She said “We’ll get you a dress and a wig and you’ll be great. Just have your wife make you up.”Since this was her idea, I suggested she e-mail my wife for support. (Insert deep breath here.) Later my wife and I are talking about this, and although she was not thrilled about the idea to say the least, she’s not saying “no.” Yeeeeessssss!!!!

My work schedule is hell right now, and I had two weeks to get ready for this. Now comes the hard part. I didn’t have the luxury of hiding behind the internet for the right outfit, so I had to screw on my courage and visit brick and mortars to get an outfit to “blend in.” Since this is not Halloween, and the event is in prime Christmas shopping season, the mall will be packed on a Friday night. I want the experience of dressing, having fun with kids trying to find me, but not to have the evening ruined with stares and ridicule. I started with Ross, going in and took a lap around the store and left with zero confidence. I have to do this I reminded myself, so I went to a Beauty supply store and told the clerk I need to become a woman for a night and needed some press on nails. She assisted, and my courage level went up to 25%. From there I went Kohls and browsed around, but still not ready to encounter defeat, so I went to Dress Barn, thinking “I can do this.” I walked in and told them my mission, and they were great. The manager helped me find a knee length skirt and a tee sweater, a belt and hose. She gave me some coupons, and told me “You may like it and decide to come back.” (Insert future returning customer here.) My confidence is now about 60%.

I went to the mall today to scope it out and get some clip on earrings, a necklace, a bracelet, etc. I went into the first store and the sales lady was super. I explained the circumstances, she helped me get accessorized, and even asked that I stop by on when dressed to let her see me. Courage level is now about 75%. The second store (Claire’s) was also terrific. I’m ready except for a few make up items and it’s 8 days away.

I’m not sleeping much, but I’m eating right. I just don’t want to miss this opportunity. Sorry for the long post. Updates will follow.

Hugs to all,

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

I don't suppose you'd care to trade places for a few days would you. I mean i'll pretend to be you and do the dressup part and all, and you can sit back and watch from your seat in the main concoarse. heeheeeheee

SarahLynn
    Great leaders are not great because of their words or deeds but because of the greatness they inspire from others."
    (Legends of the StarDancer)

Aspiring Member Longing2be-Trisha's Avatar
    Colleen you will be GREAT! Just be yourself and have fun! Besides you look Fabulous!

Hugs
    Trisha

Sounds like a great opportunity Colleen. Might be a good reason to get to the mall a little early and get a makeover at one of the cosmetics counters before the church event. If this is something you have always wanted to do then take advatage of the gift. If your wife see's that you can pass without to much trouble then maybe she will flex a little on your current boundries. Enjoy yourself and have a ball.
    Pam

"I am a stronger woman than I ever was a man." Living full time since Oct 14th 2012.

Keep it up. Your courage will reach 100%. Don't worry about a thing including the busy mall on the day of the event. You have the perfect reason to be doing this, everybody from your church is there and behind you. Fun, fun, fun!

There's a thread out there about this sort of thing.....
    "Missed opportunities"....Don't MISS IT! A great opportunity.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    How could it get better than this? Keep us informed on how this shakes out.
    Dana Ryan

Hi,

Advice , Have fun enjoy your self, play it to the hilt, have a one fun night. & with the others & ......THOSE Kids ......, & just be you . enjoy,

...noeleena...

Not trying to be a bobby-buzz-kill here...but

Since most parents are trying to teach children at that age the concept of staying away from "strangers" (particularly at malls)...
    I am just trying to imagine you trying to explain this exercise to security personnel when somebody sees you dressed as a woman, playing hide-n-seek with little kids at a shopping mall.

I completely understand the innocent nature intended here, but it sounds like a pretty strange "game" to be playing with little kids at a shopping mall. Maybe I am missing something here.

Last edited by eluuzion; 11-24-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenCD View Post
    Our program director and I were talking about how a 6’2” middle ager would hide; she looked me in the eye and said “We’re going to make you a woman.” My mind said “Stay cool here” while my heart was about to start singing. She said “We’ll get you a dress and a wig and you’ll be great. Just have your wife make you up.”Since this was her idea, I suggested she e-mail my wife for support. (Insert deep breath here.) Later my wife and I are talking about this, and although she was not thrilled about the idea to say the least, she’s not saying “no.”
    Have you found an innovative way to thank your wife for agreeing to this? Whether it is her favourite flowers, you cooking dinner when she expected to, a romantic night in, a romantic night out or just an unexpected box of chocolates, the possibilities are endless and you know your wife well enough to work out which would give her most pleasure.

In your place, I would try to fit this in before the event, then thank her in a different way afterwards.

You can also ask your wife to help to make sure you don't embarrass her by your presentation.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Now that's what I'm talking about! You go and have fun girl! Your courage level will be 101% after this!!!!!!!!! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Quote Originally Posted by eluuzion View Post
    Not trying to be a bobby-buzz-kill here...but...
    I'll see your Bobby-buzz-kill and raise you another Debbie-downer with a different perspective.

All I could think when I read your post Colleen is what will you do when this is all over. Don't get me wrong, the experience should be a dream come true as you describe but are you prepared to put the girl back in the box when the event concludes? You have an agreement with your spouse, an untenable one IMHO regardless of this upcoming outing, but upon return you will have to cope with the fact that you have tasted the sweet fruits that are found in this wonderful world of ours. I think you are in for a difficult situation afterwards.

Regardless of how you feel, and how you manage it, be sure to communicate with your wife. Good luck.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColleenCD View Post
    so I went to Dress Barn, thinking “I can do this.” I walked in and told them my mission, and they were great. The manager helped me find a knee length skirt and a tee sweater, a belt and hose. She gave me some coupons, and told me “You may like it and decide to come back.”
    Hah! Obviously you aren't the first cross-dresser the manager has dealt with ;-)

hit a second hand store and get along winter coat. Your clothes are not warm enough to stand the cold for more than 3 minutes, AND you will blend better.

Hi friends,

Thank you all for the support and advice, I need your experience and wisdom, and it is appreciated.

For Bobbi Buzz Kill, I found out Monday that one of the security officers at the mall also works security at our church, and I will make sure he is aware of the event and my role.

For Debbie Downer, I am always looking forward to the future, and maybe I will be back in the tower, but for this event, and I’m eagerly waiting making a great memory, yet keeping my future expectations under control to prevent disappointment.

Penny Lee, you make a great point with the coat. I need to find something, maybe a poncho or waistcoat, if I can find a good deal.

Rianna, thank you for the reminder to care for my wife. Here is the cool part. She is planning on using the time at the mall to go Christmas shopping….in her new heels. About a month ago she called me at work and begged for permission to get a pair of Christian Louboutins. I wisely relented, we just cut back on dining out for while.

Last night I bought her favorite perfume for her. But when this is over, she will have a big thank you headed her way.
    Sandra-Leigh, I think you’re right, the Manager at Dress Barn was way too cool with me, and clearly dealt with some of us before. She is a pro, and I want to go back.

Thank you all for your letting me share, my palms are still sweaty. More to come.

Colleen

Hi Girls,

I promised to give you all an update as I prepare to venture out of the closet. My outfit is ready except for a coat, some new foundation, and new lipstick. I hope to get these tomorrow. It’s still a gut check to go in and get assistance in drab, but I’m getting better.

Well here’s some fun stuff: The Program Director was at my work for business with our company this week, and was discussing the event and my dressing up. So a few people know at work, but are being discreet about it. One of the ladies I work with has told me she has had experience with dressing up men in the past. As we talked she offered to help me with mannerisms and voice. Next week we’ll spend a little time together teaching me the nuances of being feminine. I have visions in my mind about this and they need to be a lot prettier.
    I’m working through the balance of my deep desire to be in public dressed pretty, and the light hearted fun of the event itself. As I’d thought at the time I heard the plan to dress me up, “just be cool here.”

More updates to come,

Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by eluuzion View Post
    Since most parents are trying to teach children at that age the concept of staying away from "strangers" (particularly at malls)...
    I am just trying to imagine you trying to explain this exercise to security personnel when somebody sees you dressed as a woman, playing hide-n-seek with little kids at a shopping mall.

I completely understand the innocent nature intended here, but it sounds like a pretty strange "game" to be playing with little kids at a shopping mall. Maybe I am missing something here.

One thing I like about this forum is we can all have fun saying go for it, but there are good words of caution to weigh up everything we wish to do.

What's the name of the church you belong to?

Colleen, this sounds like a wonderful experience! I bet most of us here would love to be in your shoes (as long as they are heels!)!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Very intriguing story.. I'm all anxious for you over here. I hope it goes very well with all of that, and maybe your wife will open up to moving outside the bedroom after this.. Maybe the living room lol. But good luck with this, and I'll be waiting for updates on this fantastic story..

PS, try and get some sleep!!

Peace & Love
    :::~Melody-Renee-Shaw~:::

The busier the mall, the less attention anyone will pay to you!
    Have a lovely time sweetie, but don't let the fog descend between you and your wife.
    hugs for everyone!
    Rachel x

Glamerous Granny carolinewalker_2000's Avatar
    Wow! What an opportunity. Good for your wife for agreeing that you can take part, particularly as it sounds as though she has some issues with you dressing. Will she be going along to see you performing on the night? Enjoy your evening........who knows where it may lead!!!
    [SIZE="3"]Caroline

Tranny Granny
    [/SIZE]

Careful being to good at it, or you could let the cat out of the bag, and I doubt that would please the Mrs. Remember, the wife may have gone along with it, because there was no graceful way to say no without raising suspicions, I would walk light around her till it's over. other than that, have a great time. You just can't beat saying, but I did it for my pastor!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Sounds Great. I am so excited for you.

What an exciting experience wow even with the support of your church! Have fun it sounds like you have the right attitude to make this fun for all! I see you attending church events in the future.