Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing and depression

Complex Lolita...

Crossdressing and depression

[SIZE="2"]Melancholy – at the bottom of everything…forever” (title of an art exhibition)

Since I’ve been an active participant on crossdressing forums (like this one), I keep coming in contact with individuals who have experienced depression. I’ll meet somebody, and sooner or later I will learn that the other person is either dealing with depression, has dealt with depression, or is feeling the onslaught of another bout with depression. There is depression in the family, in the past, on the horizon, or firmly entrenched in one’s psychological make-up, and, I assume, its presence needs to be mentioned, if I am to understand the person thoroughly...

After the umpteenth encounter with a MtF crossdresser who suffers (or who has suffered) from depression, I began to wonder about a possible connection between the need to crossdress and depression – is there something there? The question is not “Are you now, or have you ever been, depressed?” That may be redundant, or unnecessary, under the circumstances. The question IS do you think there is a greater likelihood for crossdressing to emerge amidst a background where depression is extant to some degree? In other words, are depression and crossdressing linked in some inexplicable way – is it more likely that crossdressers have a “relationship” with depression, as opposed to non-crossdressers? I wonder...

Let’s assume that you have suffered from depression at some point in your life – was your depression caused by gender confusion, or the lack of expression you so desperately needed to achieve? Does your crossdressing somehow alleviate or side-step depression, or does it cause or exacerbate depression by its effect on you, or on those around you? Perhaps guilt and/or shame about one’s need to crossdress is a problem, leading to that feeling of “self-loathing” I have seen discussed around these parts lately. Many questions, I know, but depression, either painfully evident or just under the surface one maintains (at high cost), may be part and parcel of a CD/TG lifestyle...

I’m just asking, for the purposes of discussion, and it may already be evident to those reading these questioning paragraphs that the author does not suffer from depression, at least clinical or “major” depression by definition. My sister and I were talking about this just last night – for some reason, we cannot define ourselves as depressive, even though our family, like most families, has been touched by depression. Of course, you must realize that depression was not on everyone’s mind (pun unintended), nor was it mentioned or appreciated, when I was growing up. Nowadays you can’t get through a day without encountering some reference to depression or its treatment, so people today are more likely to disclose their own bouts with depression in mixed company...

I have an ex-girlfriend who deals with melancholia, and she always told me that it “runs in the family.” She represents my contact with the wonderful world of depression, in fact I haven’t heard from her in over a year – she will drop out of my life, only to re-appear and try to explain where she’s been. Key word: depression. Her enthusiasm for life comes and goes, but she sees me as a kind of constant. Her melancholia is familial and not circumstantial, but she is artistic, and thus concerned with expression. Since I am very much on the outside, I can only speculate about depression in a peripheral way. I cannot say that depression is gender-related, and thus connected to crossdressing in that way, but I see it more as the unwanted “partner” of expression, itself a characteristic of turbulent minds. How does this fit in with my grandmother, who, as far as I know, suffered from depression? I’m tempted to say that females can feel imprisoned by their “roles,” leading to depression, but what do I know? Ditto males, I suppose...

I’m just wondering if crossdressers (MtF or otherwise) are more or less likely to be familiar with depression. According to a recent U.S. survey, nine percent of adults surveyed met the criteria for “current” depression, and 3.4 percent met the criteria for “major” depression. Judging by the number of people I meet on this site who TELL me about their depression, I would surmise that the figures are higher for crossdressers. Perhaps we’re just more open with our feelings, or happy (how’s that for a conundrum?) about being here, so we tell all to the kindred spirits we meet. It can be a blessing or a curse to be a crossdresser, but, for many, depression is woven into the fabric of our gender-confused lives. The very fact that I am NOT female is a constant reminder that all is not well, and it’s not going to get any better. Life as tragedy. Rinse and repeat. Despite this, I get up in the morning (well, late afternoon is more like it), make my way past the black curtains that cover my windows, and navigate the numerous shadows that inhabit my dark world. For me, crossdressing does provide some much-needed light, color, happiness, and... dare I say...enthusiasm...

I mean, maybe I’m more depressed than I let on. I maintain a certain social isolation, I spend a lot of my time alone, and I cry for no reason now and then. Plenty of people have told me that I’m not “good enough,” which has caused me to shut out more of the world year after year. I mean, I have a lot to be depressed about, but I haven’t lost any enthusiasm for life, or crossdressing, even though I’m contemplating the entrance to a LONG dark tunnel. I don’t know what keeps me going, but I still believe in myself. Needless to say, being able to communicate with other MtF crossdressers (some of them very much like me), and write these essentially pointless essays, has been useful, to say the least. True sufferers of depression would laugh at me, as well they should, but that’s OK – I’m used to it...

Do you think there may be a connection between crossdressing and depression? I apologize for this depressing, somewhat discursive, subject...

Depression: A scary enough place to visit and I hate having to live there.” (from the Urban Dictionary)
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Frédérique; 12-02-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: I missed an "is."

I think in your case,you are way too solo!! I don't think Kansas is right for you.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Well I have battled depression caused by two factors. One) Loss of Parents and #1 wife during the holidays, but not all at the same time. That was more easily dealt with. Meds for a while and good old counseling trying to understand and work through some un-resolved conflicts. Two) GID. I was raised for my first five years as a girl. My Mom wanted a girl and Dad did not oppose her partly because he traveled a lot. When my brother was born blind, they both felt that what they were doing with me might have had an effect (religious crap) on his condition. So my Dad and I had some serious problems over the next 20 yrs. Any way I always felt that my Mom would have lavished more love and affection if I had stayed a girl. So I CD'd in secret for a long time. So I still have problems with this longing to be a girl. I might be working toward transition but I have some medical conditions that makes that a probable death sentence. I also really love wife #2 and would have a hard time putting her through that agony and crisis. So I have this conflict and mostly solve it with a lot of crossdressing and some medications.

I do feel for your situation. But we do have this forum to discuss these feelings and problems. It almost as if we can have 24 hr counseling. I enjoy your posts. But please can you use a larger font! I am getting too old I guess.

Hugs Edy

Could be that depression causes crossdressing which causes more depression. I don't really get depressed... I've never been depressed for more than a short period. Day. Days. More just sad than depressed. Typically when I get upset over something rather than let it get me down I try to figure out how to fix it. . So I just can't relate to depressed people.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I didn't know I was depressed until my doctor told me I was. I just thought I had a really suckee life that was way too much work, and not much to smile about at the end of the day! I'm not a great deal happier now but at least I have something to blame it on rather than accept the responsiblity myself. Think about it.
    Sarah M..,
    Women's clothes? I don't put them on, I just grew into them.
    http://sarahjanus.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/sarah.m.janus

This thread interests me Freddy because only those that have suffered from clinical depression can possibly understand or have empathy with sufferers of this debilitating condition.
    I have to wonder why you, if as you say have never suffered from clinical depression are asking this question.
    But I am in no doubt that your motives are good.

I can speak with some authority on this subject as I suffered from clinical depression for a number of years.
    It’s the worst thing imaginable. A living nightmare. You would not wish it on your worst enemy!
    However linking it with crossdressing may be wrong.
    In my case and in many others it’s an imbalance of chemicals in the brain such as a lack of serotonin.
    Feeling low because of life events is not the same as clinical depression.
    In the first case you are just a bit miserable or are feeling sorry for yourself.
    In the second case you are seriously ill. [I came as close to suicide as you can get without doing it!]
    But having said that, can the problems and pressures that some face in there lives from crossdressing lead to depression? This is a very difficult if not imposable question to answer.

SUZY

Thanks for addressing this Freerique. Depression is a constant battle for me, since early childhood. I often wish to be dead, and done with it, or healed. Round after round with it, i go, and dressing guilt and self loathing add to it. It is a great escape, but depression always hits back. My toxic parents , siblings and religious shaming all added to it. IMy cats are my only friends now.

I too have suffered long and hard with depression. I have finally been able to break away form it by coming out to my wife. No longer keeping my dressing secret. Just by doing that my guilt and shame went partially away. Then I was diagnosed with bipolar and got the meds to control my mood/energy. Now I still feel depressed at times but no longer wish to be dead.

F.

After my daughters mother left me for another man I fell into a long funk that I guess one could call depression. It was a mental state that, while
    on this earth, I never want to ever revisit. I fought like hell to get out of that feeling.All the self hatred and blame and all the confusing, emotional baggage
    was a tortuous weight to have to carry around.But hey guys! This is not a story with a sad ending.I got over it and her and each hour, every day
    the weight became lighter and lighter.Crossdressing, that intensely personal dandle, did help.But trouble and confusion or heartbreak DOES NOT
    make for a better transvestite. My makeup skills still suck.
    I dont know if there is any relationship between crossdressing and depression but crossdessing and depression are both paranormal phenomenon...dana

"after great pain, a formal feeling comes
    the nerves sit ceremonious, like tombs
    the stiff heart questions was it he, that bore,
    and yesterday, or centuries before? emily dickinson

I think people can be genetically predisposed to depression. How you get it and deal with it is biological for sure. I mean, the brain works by chemical reactions and firing neurons. So genetics kind of dictate how your brain responds to stimulus. But I am far from an expert in this matter.

Anyway, I have never been depressed before. I never even knew what it was like. I used to laugh when I saw commercials about depression medicines "just go out and have a good time." I thought "what's the big deal?". God in his infinite wisdom must of said "You think it's funny do you? Well, let's see how funny you find this."

Huh, ignorance is bliss. Mid-life hit, GID hit and I thought; Oh, so this is depression. Okay, I can manage this. I was always good at managing my emotions. I'll just dress up more. I'll do more "fun" things. Well, it worked for a couple of years.

But that was nothing. About 6 months ago - BANG! Now that was depression - all purely driven by gender dysphoria. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I still am shaking from it. While lying in bed one night I couldn't sleep and the constant thoughts of gender just got to be too much. I swear I thought I was going to have a stroke right there. I knew if I didn't do something soon I would degrade into a pile of goo. So, I decided to start hormones and transition. I told my wife that next morning.

Never again will I take for granted something I am unfamiliar with.

Do I think there is a relationship between TG and depression. Oh, yes, I do. One definitely caused the other.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation Thank u, Freddie!

For keeping this thread short enuff for me to finish! I think this is a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE!

If u feel sad, unhappy, withdrawn, fearful, or just withdrawing from everyone into your home, u MAY be suffering from clinical depression! If so, u MUST SEEK HELP IMMEDIATELY! Please contact someone, a close friend, relative, or someone u trust!
    Maybe just some here! Feeling bad is NOT NATURAL and u shouldn't feel that way!
    DO IT NOW! Before u feel worse! Please! People care about u! Let us help!

[3031]Could be that depression causes crossdressing which causes more depression. I don't really get depressed... I've never been depressed for more than a short period. Day. Days. More just sad than depressed. Typically when I get upset over something rather than let it get me down I try to figure out how to fix it. . So I just can't relate to depressed people.[/QUOTE]

U answered perfectly for me, Karren! The only thing that really gets me depressed is HEARING that others feel that way! It's JUST NOT RITE!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I , too, have suffered from depression for many years. I've discovered that antidepressant drugs do not make life any better. Since I have been crossdressing for more than fifty years, I have come to realize that crossdressing has been the only real relief that I have experienced from this insidious affliction.

I figure I'd throw my two cents in on a subject with which I have some experience. I have fought depression time and again since adolescence. I have been locked in mental institutions a couple of times to prevent suicides and then medicated beyond belief. All this occurred prior to my cross dressing, a recent phenomenon. I have seen the genetic component of depression in my mother periodic institutional stays. At one point when I was 16, my mother and I were locked in the same facility on different wards. For my mother, I doubt she was cross dressing.

I do think that cross dressing could intensify depression. The feelings of isolation, self-loathing and identity confusion (gender or otherwise) if fixated on can, from my experience start the descent down the depression spiral to perceived oblivion. I can remember sitting on a hospital ward with my mind being so wrapped inward that those attempting to communicate seemed a world away although in reality at arms length.

As I'm writing this, I've lost the point I was hoping to make. I've ended up starting to relive those unfortunate times. Let me get back. I believe from my experience that connection between cross dressing and depression maybe synergistic in nature. Emotions that surface from cross dressing may increase depression, but is not normally the cause of the condition.

I find myself hoping that my newly discovered, midlife crossdressing == and whatever secrets are unveiled from the lifting of what repressed it -- might alleviate the chronic but usually moderate depression I've had most of my adult life. Crossdressing lightens the load briefly, but depression is an imbalance of brain chemicals, as hard to wish away as CD'ing...Therapy helps, medication helps, but depression stays around. For me, I don't see the one causing the other. Apparently I have fewer dopamines (happy chemicals) in my brain than necessary and more girly hormones than a typical male. This is the brain I got. So it goes.

Depression and Crossdressing

I think there could be a link although it also could be just a coincidence. Good research topic for some psychologist out there. Not for me! I don't want to do research, my life is complicated enough. Although I have to admit I am doing much psycho-analyzing and soul searching on myself. I have to admit I have been depressed the last six months or so, but I feel it's circumstancial and will go away once my life circumstances improve. Crossdressing has helped me tremendously though.

I feel so uterly fantastic when I'm dressed enfemme it's hard for me to stay feeling down. Today would be a good example of that. I received some disappointing news this morning that mad me feel very angry. Although I'm a therapist myself, I have a tendency to lose my temper from time to time; and this was one of those times. However; I found myself crying and expressing deep hurt along with the anger. This emotional release through crying versus screaming and throwing a temper tantrum, was the direct result of being dressed.

A little while later I found myself singing, dancing, and accepting my days circumstances. I was just so overwhelmed with feelings of excitement at being a girl, feeling like a woman, etc.... I just couldn't help but express that as well. Am I Bipolar cause I had a sudden swing in emotions? No. As a professional counselor I can guarentee this is not the case. I recognize the symptoms of that disease and realize that I am using CD'ing to help release natural endorphines in the brain and naturally begin to feel better.

I could go on and on about this, but this is good for now.

Paulette

Perhaps depression is a natural reaction to an unnatural state of living and thrives only in certain minds whose soil is fertile.

These minds are at the pinnacle of evolution and farther removed from instinctual behaviors than their cousins who walk amoungst them.

Some of the traits of these minds... Creativity, Sensitivity, Imagination, Spiritual but not necessarily religous, Sense of being a part of Nature, Empathy, Nonviolent, Sexuality as a union first and orgasm second , Truth Seeker, ect...

Crossdressing is born from this soil. Depression is born from this soil. Much is born from this soil.

I highly doubt that depression causes crossdressing. It's far more likely that the circumstances that lead to crossdressing also lent themselves to the development of depression as well. They may even have come about at the same time, and for similar reasons. Certainly, gender dysphoria is something that can cause a deep, fundamental sadness in one's soul. To have to wake each day, and live your life, longing each waking hour to have been able to approach life from the viewpoint of the other gender, and to know that that life you dearly wish you'd had is denied to you always and forever, is a burden that none of us should have to endure. Even gender reassignment cannot make you the person you wish you'd been born as. Depressing.

For myself, I did deal with depression. Sometimes it was severe. At times, some of it may have been related to crossdressing, but I think I'd have dealt with it from time to time even if I'd not been a crossdresser. I still remember what I referred to as the glass wall that stood between me and the rest of the world. It held me inside, and kept me from being able to be a part of what went on around me. It was my isolation booth, inside of which I resided and steeped myself in the self-imposed solitude of my sad and miserable existence. I tried pills, and therapy, but nothing truly helped. I knew that part of my problem involved a choice to be happy or remain sad. But I held on to the belief that no one understood me, and that what was true for other people didn't apply to me and my own depression.

I remember the bleak and empty dark place, where cold wind blew, and the precipice before me fell away into a misty blackness. All road there were unkempt and decayed from long neglect and lack of care. Weeds grew and tossed in the gusty breeze. No stars shone in the blackness, and no one stood there to guide you in this place where hope did not visit. The chasm before me provided final answers to all problems ever encountered, but held no promise of any chance that I'd finally see light ever again. Only darkness and despair.

I vowed to myself to turn away from this place, forced myself to walk back to fairer realms and never look back again. Step after labored step, I journeyed back to where life is lived, sunlight shines, and people smile in genuing caring. I made the choice to be happy, and promised myself that I'd embrace the light, and never go back there again.

And I have not. I learned that happiness is truly a choice, and that one can control one's feelings without having to resort to drugs. I made peace with my gender dysphoria, and accepted myself as a crossdresser. I decided that I would remain male, and chose to live my life as my wife's husband. I'd made a vow to her when I married her, and I am determined to be the best husband to her that I can be.

I'll always crossdress, I think. But I won't let it take me down those dark roads again. There are times when I am still beset by melancholy, but I don't let it get to me much anymore. I now greatly enjoy my femme moments, and I no longer allow them to drag me into sadness and regret. Crossdressing should be a happy pursuit, and I will endeavor to do my very best to approach it that way.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Aspiring Member
    I'm with Karren on this one. I can't identify with chronic bouts of depression.
    I've had my sad times and share of depession but it was all short lived.
    I'm thankful I've been blessed with the strength to pull my panties up and just keep moving ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shari View Post
    I'm with Karren on this one. I can't identify with chronic bouts of depression.
    I've had my sad times and share of depession but it was all short lived.
    I'm thankful I've been blessed with the strength to pull my panties up and just keep moving ahead.
    You had the strength to pull your panties up because you never suffered from depression Shari!
    Please don’t get me wrong, I am not having a go at you, just pointing out that clinical depression is a very serious life threatening affliction. Not something you can just get over if you are strong.
    That’s like saying those that need help [like me when I suffered] are too weak to help themselves. Do you know how hurtful that is!

I know you did not try to hurt anyone by your remark Shari.

SUZY

Silver Member
    There is a strong association in psychological literature between depression and transgender behavior & issues, including crossdressing. Here are two articles from a psychologist that I've found helpful, along with some relevant quotes. Both touch on depression, especially at middle age and beyond.

The first is on how psychological issues play out over various life stages. Its focus is on transsexuality, but touches heavily on crossdressing:

http://www.avitale.com/developmentalreview.htm

"These individuals often show up in therapy offices with symptoms mimicking Depression or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. They complain of panic attacks, irritability, sleeping disorder, inability to concentrate, and recent weight loss. If they are married, there is often serious martial discord due to self-imposed disassociation from the family unit. Job performance may also be affected, it is not uncommon the hear reports of individuals experiencing negative performance revues or outright threats of being fired unless they seek help for whatever is bothering them. Pressed ever deeper into despair, suicidal thoughts begin to intrude into daily life. Even at this point the individual may be reluctant to discuss their gender issues lest the door be opened to a fear-laden real-world exploration of gender transition. They are consumed by feelings of being inexorably trapped."

The second is a commentary on the proposed DSM changes and doesn't mention crossdressing specifically, but does touch on depression. The quote I've included is actually an embedded quote within the article that I think apt.

http://www.avitale.com/hbigdatalkplus2005.htm

Karasic and Kohler (26) reported,“There are a lot of problems with the way psychiatry has viewed transgender folks. In labeling an identity as a mental disorder, as opposed to identifying symptoms in the same way we do for, say, major depression, anxiety disorder or other disorders in the DSM, the consequence of this is pathologizing and really hurting our clients.”

Lea

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    I mean, maybe I’m more depressed than I let on. I maintain a certain social isolation, I spend a lot of my time alone, and I cry for no reason now and then. Plenty of people have told me that I’m not “good enough,” which has caused me to shut out more of the world year after year. I mean, I have a lot to be depressed about, but I haven’t lost any enthusiasm for life, or crossdressing, even though I’m contemplating the entrance to a LONG dark tunnel. I don’t know what keeps me going, but I still believe in myself. Needless to say, being able to communicate with other MtF crossdressers (some of them very much like me), and write these essentially pointless essays, has been useful, to say the least. True sufferers of depression would laugh at me, as well they should, but that’s OK – I’m used to it...

Do you think there may be a connection between crossdressing and depression? I apologize for this depressing, somewhat discursive, subject...

Depression: A scary enough place to visit and I hate having to live there.” (from the Urban Dictionary)
    Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. What triggered this separate response was the bit about soldiering on. THAT may be the strongest indicator that you might be depressed, as it's a common way of expressing the coping mechanism among those who are clinically depressed. One can learn to live with even extraordinarily high levels of depression. It's not easy or pleasant, but it is possible.

Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Could be that depression causes crossdressing which causes more depression. I don't really get depressed... I've never been depressed for more than a short period. Day. Days. More just sad than depressed. Typically when I get upset over something rather than let it get me down I try to figure out how to fix it. . So I just can't relate to depressed people.
    You can’t relate to people with true clinical depression Karren because you have never suffered from it.
    You seem to be saying that you are too strong in character to “let depression” get to you.

Do you know how annoying and hurtful that is to people [including me] that have or are suffering from this life threatening condition.
    Do you actually believe that we who have suffered are weaker than you and can’t “pull ourselves together?” That we, unlike you “let things get us down?”

You did not mean to upset others by your comment Karren but it’s hard for people that have suffered from this not to be a bit hurt by your unthinking remarks.

SUZY

Maybe someday they will be able to take a serotonin count when they draw blood. I have chronic anemia and when my hemoglobin is low, I take iron pills or get a shot. When we finally can see depression in that light, we'll be able to even the playing field, so that biologically depressed people will have a fair shot at happiness. some of this is about technology and (as is obvious from the debate here) some is about attitudes.

The first 24 years of my life were basically one long depression. I spent 15 years under some type of psychiatric treatment or another. Nearly two years of that was in institutions. I know how to do the Thorazine Shuffle. I did a lot of self medicating, too. Did crossdressing have anything to do with it? Nah! Being somewhat confused about my gender and sexuality didn't help but they were just side issues. I wish I could tell people how to overcome depression or even how to cope with it. But I can't because it just left one day, August 18, 1978, the worst (and best) day of my life. I did nothing to help myself and deserve no credit for pulling myself out of the abyss. Since then, I've been anti-depressant and psychiatry free. My moods today are more or less appropriate to the situation I'm facing. So bad stuff makes me sad as it should. Most days I can't believe how good my life is. Why me?

a bit nutty
    Crossdressing certainly plays a role in my moods, and it has since I was a child. My crossdressing had brought about "self loathing", shame, guilt, anxiety and low self esteem. Compound these feelings by the fact that I couldn't talk about how I felt with anyone, and the self destructive feelings would fester and bloom into outright depression. It was bound to happen.
    Sadly, forums like this did not exist when I was growing up. I've been coming here to openly discuss theses issues and it has alleviated much of the pain I've inflicted on myself over the years. The depressive states I've felt long ago have not returned. The anxiety however still lingers from time to time.

Is there a link between the two? I think so.