Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painted nails

My fingernails are always clear glossed nowadays. Like many of you, I find that people just don't notice or don't want to comment, although I have had one or two compliments at supermarket checkouts. I suppose the girls notice people's hands more when they're taking payments. Toenails vary according to my feelings, currently a very deep, dark berry colour called 'Psycho'. The only person who has commented on my tootsies is my GP and he just said 'Nice colour'.

Married to "Loving wife" IamToni's Avatar
    I keep my toenails painted all the time, usually in a vibrant glossy pink. I'd love to paint my fingernails with a clear polish, but it would have to be pretty subtle - i.e. not glossy. I'm not quite sure why I want to do this, but I've given up trying to figure these things out!

Quite often clear polish on longish nails,then a color if necessary.
    The clear stops the color seeping in and staining the nails.
    If you need to have them clean there is nothing worse than waiting for the stain to grow out.

Quote Originally Posted by IamToni View Post
    I keep my toenails painted all the time, usually in a vibrant glossy pink. I'd love to paint my fingernails with a clear polish, but it would have to be pretty subtle - i.e. not glossy. I'm not quite sure why I want to do this, but I've given up trying to figure these things out!
    I've used OPI Envy Matte. It's not glossy and nearly invisible, but not cheap either. Make sure you get the matte. The regular is more glossy.

Or try Orly Nails for Males. Also matte, but the last time I got it, I found out it had bad stuff in it, toluene, etc. Sally's Beauty Supply carries it. The SA even recommended it to me when I asked for clear nail polish for me.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I keep my toe nails polished all of the time. I go and get a pedicure and manicure about every 5 to 6 weeks. When I go the nail technician polishes my toe nails. I usually get a red color put on them. I notice some people looking at me but I don't care. On my manicure, most of the time I have her put a clear polish on my finger nails. She puts on a base coat and then a polish from orly (I get it at CVS) that is called something like - natural pink and then she puts a lear coat on top of that. This just makes the nails look good with a slight shine and the natual pink color just looks like your normal pink nails. Most people don't notice that. And very few would even guess that you have a nail polish color on your finger nails. Every once in a while I will have the nail technician polish my finger nails the same color as my toe nails. That really gets some strange looks from the people but once again, I don't care. I love it when my toe nails and finger nails are matching colors. I will get some strange looks from people in the stores when I am buying thins and a few have actually said something like that I have very beautiful finger nails. I usually will keep the colored polish on for about 2 or 3 weeks before I remove it.

I wear clear Orly "Tough Cookie" on my fingers most of the time to strengthen them. It's glossy, but then again there are men who get regular manicures. I keep them slightly long, trimmed to the end of my fingers so they look good in either mode. I've only had one person comment on them, the manicurist at the salon where I go to get my drab haircut. She said "You have nice nails."

I wouldn't wear color in male mode because of my work environment. Clear is pushing things as far as I would want to go.

When I go out, I do the whole ridge filler/2 coats color/2 coats topcoat procedure. It's time consuming, but I love the look and feel of having fabulous nails. It's painful the next morning when 10 absolutely perfect nails that a GG would be showing off to her friends have to go into the acetone.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I guess I am lucky as I am retired and don't need to worry about my polished nails at work. I am not quite good enough at putting on my nail polish. I am right handed and so my right hand suffers from using my left hand to polish my right nails.

During the week I just use a clear polish, but come friday night the sparkly colours come out and stay on till Sunday evening. Whilst I don't mind having them coloured during the weekend and going out in either mode and having people see, I'm not confident to have them coloured at work yet.

My nails, those that haven't broken, are normally 4 - 5 mm over the end of my finger when viewed from the reverse of my hand, which I guess is unusual for a man. Most people don't notice, though I just spent all of Christmas afternoon having my sister tease me about them. She noticed them as I was giving her a present (they've been like this for the past two years so why she noticed today I have no idea) and exclaimed they were "creepy".

Then, over christmas dinner, went on and on about how they made me look like a girly boy, which whilst hurtful (I don't esnt to be creepy), is really funny since she has no idea how close to the truth she really is.
    Running, jumping, climbing trees, putting on makeup when you're up there, just like the army, except for the talking squirrels.

Facebook

First, I have to comment on how nice your legs and high heels look in your picture.

Your description is a lot like mine in that most of te time my finger nails are polished a clear likecolor from orly that is called something like natural pink? It actually just brings out the natural color of your finger nails. When I go out dressed up I will always polish my finger nails. I use a base coat, red polish, silver glitter and then a clear top coat. When I have my finger nails polished red and I go to different stores I do notice a lot of people looking at them nd a few have actually said how nice that they look. Some just give me a weird look. I hate it when I know someone is coming over to the house or I have to go to the doctor or something like that and I have to remove the colored polish.

Like you, I do try to let my finger nails grow out a little bit so that they will look more feminine and lady like. I am really wanting to get a set of those false nails and put them on. I am going to try to find one of those cross dresser conventions to go to in the next month or so and I WILL get a set of the false finger nails for that get together.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    In male mode I use (daily) OPI Nail Envy Matte finish because I need a nail strengthener (long story of skin fungal infections). Tina uses the Nail Envy as a base coat and then uses color as she needs/wants it. Under the Nail Envy my nails are buffed to a shine.

The buffing is essential for a smooth nail, and a buffed nail (in my experience) dries much faster than a non-buffed nail. The Nail Envy goes on and dries in less than 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn B View Post
    ...She noticed them as I was giving her a present (they've been like this for the past two years so why she noticed today I have no idea) and exclaimed they were "creepy".

Then, over christmas dinner, went on and on about how they made me look like a girly boy, which whilst hurtful (I don't esnt to be creepy), is really funny since she has no idea how close to the truth she really is.
    That was really nasty of her.

I'd ask her "I know you didn't realize what you were saying, but would you like it if I said equally hurtful things to you about some of your little peccadillos?"

Leave *which* peccadillos to her imagination. Everybody has a few thing that they don't want anyone else to notice!

The nice thing about being in our position is that we're actually more confident about our sexuality than most. Yep, I'm a girly man, but that concept no longer frightens me. It's much better to be girly than insecure!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I agree about the buffing. When I get my manicure done the technician also buffs my finger nails before she polishes them.

Over the years I have had my nails done by my hairstylist, my wife, my granddaughter, a female housekeeper, and myself. I always like them bright. But they rearly last long I always chip them right away or I remove them after one day. I tried clear polish when I was still working. I do not take the trouble much anymore. My fingures shake too much to do them my self. But when someone does my toes the polish does not come off until they grow out. Toenail polish once applied stays on even during medical procedures where the toe nails are exposed.

a beautiful metalhead JessicaM1985's Avatar
    Well for nails, I'd gladly keep my toenails painted. It's easy to keep those hidden. As for my fingernails, I don't want to hassle with them much and certainly wouldn't want to wear them to my classes like that. I'd just give them a good buff, paint them, go about my business at home, then remove them before class. I'd go through polish and polish remover faster this way certainly, but awkward question would be avoided. Since I'm semi well known in the music department, avoiding those questions would be greatly appreciated.

I have also had several people do my nails but 98% of the time it is my nail technician that polishes them. She makes them so nice and pretty without any mess like I do some times. From what several people have told me the reason the finger nails chip a lot is because you are using them compared to just walking with the toe nails. What I mean about using yourfinger nails is that you do various daily tasks such as use the computer keyboard, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    That was really nasty of her.

I'd ask her "I know you didn't realize what you were saying, but would you like it if I said equally hurtful things to you about some of your little peccadillos?"

Leave *which* peccadillos to her imagination. Everybody has a few thing that they don't want anyone else to notice!

The nice thing about being in our position is that we're actually more confident about our sexuality than most. Yep, I'm a girly man, but that concept no longer frightens me. It's much better to be girly than insecure!
    The part about it that bothered me was she went to creepy straight away, not weird, or girly, or funny, but creepy, which sugests she sees any gender variance out side what she considers normal as deeply unpleasent and to be feared. Which is, alas, another dent in my confidence of ever comming out to my close fmaily.

In general though, I've found that even being out in the world as a man with sparkly purple nails doesn't draw any comment, even though to begin with you feel like everyone is staring at your hands.
    Running, jumping, climbing trees, putting on makeup when you're up there, just like the army, except for the talking squirrels.

Facebook

Need to finsd a better place.

I have manis and pedis done on a regular basis(a small Vietnamese shop). The tech who does my pedis,trys every time to get me to do a full set of acrylics. She's even told me that guitar players will come in and get sets for playing,cause their nail don't hold up. Even had her tell me I needed a brighter color. They buff the nails,base coat,color and then a top coat. I wear sandals most of the time with my toes painted and have only received good comments.

I keep my toenails permanently painted red or pink and finger nails always painted when not at work. I have on a couple of occasions worn clear polish at work. Don't forget that during the 20 s and 30 s it was common for an elegantly dressed man about town to polish his nails.

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    I love my pedi! In the summer I always wear french tips, I ask for a very fine tip and as you can see thats what I get.. in the cooler months any color I feel I want!

My winter toes.. the color looks dark in the photo but its is a deep red.

Hi have been getting my nails done at a salon for some time now .

Quote Originally Posted by missyatl View Post
    That's a good idea, I just had mine done at a salon and chose a very light cream color. You could still see my skin underneath and the white tips. It was nice but not noticeable, so I almost don't see the point. I thought about a light pink, something close to my natural skin color you see under my nails.
    Hi have been getting my nails done at a salon for some time now and no problem at work my nails are the acrylic UV Gel pink & white i also get my brows waxed .
    I do get some kidding from the guys at work but it's all good i do my job well and my boss is cool and so are my coworkers.

Can you get acrylic nails that come of easy. Or is it as I have read a lot of hassle?

I have done the weekend thing, that works. I do wear clear during the week.

Toes are always painted!

Married to "Loving wife" IamToni's Avatar
    As I don't need to leave the house today I've just taken the plunge and painted my finger nails for the first time. I picked a very pale pink nail varnish and I love how it looks (and more importantly, how it feels). I didn't realise quite how difficult it would be, particularly when it came to doing my right hand - my wife makes it look so easy.

Where I get my pedicure and manicure done it is also a Vietnamese shop. Sometimes it is a bit hard to understand them when they talk tho. I always go with a bright red color. The last time she put on a coat of glitter and that really makes the nails look nice. One day I will go with the acrylics but not now.