Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Painted nails

Quote Originally Posted by missyatl View Post
    What do you girls do about painting your nails and work? Do you paint them on Friday afternoon and remove it Monday morning? I would have them painted all the time but my wife thinks it would make people at work uncomfortable and perhaps lead to me losing my job.

Should I test the waters and stop if my boss says anything? Should I mention it before hand? Or should I just stick with weekends? I personally think I should make a name for myself and perhaps down the road bring it up. Oh and I'm new at this job!

Thanks girls!!
    Nails, question 1: i would love to paint my nails at work. Actually, I guess I did... but only with a sheer color-

I wear pink/white acrylics 24/7 no comments for the most part. I own the business so work isn't an issue. I meet with many customers every day and have had no problem with the exception of one , they weren't someone I would like for a customer anyway. It seems to not matter to most people ,most of our fears are in our minds. Toers are the same finish go for pedi and new acrilics monthly.

I will put on a coat of the base coat and then 2 coats of a red color and then a coat of the top coat polish. Usually when I polish my nails like this I will leave them polished for a week or 2. I do notice some peope in the stores that will really look at them and a few have commented on how nice they look. I especially have to polish them like this when I am going out on a date. I don't have to worry about how they look for work as I am retired.

I will just give you the advice that I gave my SO (who is also going through the same issues)...

If you haven't been doing regular manicures, chances are you need some nail therapy. Taking care of your nails is pretty easy to hide, but I think every man should be doing this anyway. Get some tools to give yourself manicures (files, buffers, cuticle remover, cuticle sticks, nail polish remover, etc.) and start taking care of your nails. Also, buy Nail Envy by OPI in MATTE. The matte version will not be shiny and you will be able to wear it out and about. Follow the directions of Nail Envy to grow out your nails to a desired length. (Obviously, not too long...but, long enough that they can be nicely shaped).

You can also do regular pedicures on yourself and have them in any color you want. Keeping up with painted nails usually requires me to repaint my nails every 3 days. So, after doing your Nail Envy process all week, you can paint your nails a color on Friday and remove the color Sunday night. On Sunday night, restart the Nail Envy process.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 01-10-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

I go and get a pedicure and manicure about every 5 to 6 weeks. They polish my toe nails a red color then. They usually polish my finger nails a clear pinkish color. I do try to take care of my nails in between. I will file them and keep a clear Opi polish on them. I am trying to let them grow out but I notice a lot of times I will do something and break a nail and it is very frustrating to break a nail.

I am going to go look for nail envy as it sounds like it is what I need for my nails. Can you put on the nail envy and then put a colored polish on top of it?

I forgot to ask you something.

The edges of my fingers around the finger nails get dry or cracked or something like that. They peel, etc. I notice it especially at the edges under the nails. What can be done to help that?

I always wear nail polish with black or nearly black colours. I never paint my toes; why bother when you always wear boots? If anyone has any issue with my appearance it is more often that the majority of my clothing is black. Among the people I meet and generally associate with though, few people care about my public crossdressing. Most people are already aware that gothic males crossdress to some degree and just accept that it is part of the aesthetic.

Sometimes I let my facial hair and body hair grow but usually I am clean shaven and I have fairly thin eyebrows, long hair and pierced ears. I used to wear floor length skirts quite often but these days I am more inclined to wear band t-shirts and jeans because it is just more efficient. Some guys wear eyeliner or more makeup; I generally don't bother unless I am going out to a show or something because makeup takes time.

My wife could care less about having painted nails herself but she met me when I was wearing nail polish and all of the rest and we fell in love so there is no issue there. She was really upset when I shaved my head to cut off the black dye to grow my hair out again my natural colour.

I am an active member at a right wing Christian church and the people there are more concerned with the condition of the heart rather than the appearance of the body. Actions speak louder than words.

My workplace has no issue with my appearance but I think that has a lot to do with working in information technology. Geeks care more about your skill with technology than your appearance. The ladies where I work are more inclined to talk about nails and style rather than take issue with my appearance. I just present as a guy with a good handle on esthetics. Nail polish is a great conversation starter with ladies.

Keep in mind also that I am 32 and men my age and younger are painting their nails with greater frequency. At least in my age group, I have found that if I behave decently and with kindness, I get along with people and my style is a non-issue.

All that said, I never wear nail polish around my parents, my sister's family or my extended family because they don't like it and I love them too much to start such a trivial argument that is so easily avoided. I can always paint my nails again when I get home. And if my boss ever told me to take off my nail polish (unlikely), I would do so and start looking for a new job in my free time.

sadly for now mine are "open" as in nothing on the toes, need to clear up a problem. but my nails (hand) have clear on then all the time. and trying to grow them past the finger tips. they keep breaking, cracking, etc.

Breaking nails is badness. I broke a thumbnail today well below the tip. My other nails are a few mm beyond the tip. Thumb hurts and it'll take a month to grow back >. Pretty nails cannot be used as tools for anything or breaks happen. Oh why are they just so convenient for doing things?

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    Shouldn't matter if you do your job well. I've gotten many compliments on my usually pink or french tip acrylic nails.

Yep, nail envy can be put on like a base coat/under colored polish. Just let the Nail Envy dry before you put on the color.

For the dryness, I would try cuticle oil. If that doesn't help, try heavy hand cremes throughout the day and parafin dip treatments. You can get your own paraffin dip system for pretty cheap online. I have only and I notice thaty hands are extremely soft...but, I also use hand creams throughout the day out of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnysis View Post
    I forgot to ask you something.

The edges of my fingers around the finger nails get dry or cracked or something like that. They peel, etc. I notice it especially at the edges under the nails. What can be done to help that?
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck