Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to walk and act like a girl?

If only you could see me sarahcsc's Avatar

How to walk and act like a girl?

Can somebody teach me how to walk and act like a girl? Is there a video I could watch? I tried youtube but there weren't any proper instructional videos...

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Dana Ryan

One thing i do is never walk in big steps.
    I walk like i am wearing a tight skirt.
    I also always keep my legs together.

Keep your shoulders back, with your elbows in. Lead with your hips when you walk.
    Most importantly is relax.
    Katie

Ugh... its hard... >_< I guess it definitely helps if you have hips.

Im not Alicia Sliverstone Clueless's Avatar
    I've heard that wearing heels helps, as it changes your posture. I've never tried wearing heels though, so I don't know if that's true or not.

even without heels, concentrating on one foot in front/almost in front of the other helps the hips sway naturally. relaxed shoulders and arms, the arm swinging with the hip all help to feel that fluid motion. i spent a few months being really conscious of batting my inner forearm with my hip on every step to try and get/feel that sway.

@Alisa, that's a fantastic find, thanks for sharing!

Should have paid more attention when your mother was explaining that to your sister!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Wow, the biomotionlab things is really cool! thanks!

Try going to a public place (the nearest mall, etc.) where a lot of GG's of all ages tend to congregate, and casually observe these lovely creatures in their habitat. You can learn a lot...not to mention get a lot of style and fashion tips for free.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Walk with a book on your head, to help your posture.
    Dana Ryan

that Biomotion thing is really cool. But the others are right posture is the most important thing in my IMHO.
    Sara

Pretend a thread is attached to the top of your head and it is pulling you upright and you are not allowed to break it. This will force you to hold the correct posture.
    Chickie

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahcsc View Post
    Can somebody teach me how to walk and act like a girl? Is there a video I could watch? I tried youtube but there weren't any proper instructional videos...
    Sarah, that's a tall order. It takes GGs years to develop their own styles and personalities, and learning it (while un-learning the giveaway guy stuff) as one would take a college course just isn't the same. We were, after all, trained from early childhood to excise all traces of femininity from ourselves, and undoing that training takes time and effort. Observe critically, especially girls and women you see as attractive and what you want to emulate. The rest is practice and feedback. Our house has a long hallway with a full-length mirror at one end; perfect practice area.

Prene's advice of shorter steps, definitely, and be prepared to walk more slowly rather than speeding up short steps to move at the same pace as you do with longer, more typically male steps. Marla's also onto something with a narrower step pattern. Watch fashion models do an extreme version on the runway. It encourages that subtle hip sway. That biomotion gadget is a real eye-opener. Few things give a CD away faster than plodding along with toes splayed out (10 & 2 o'clock) and arms just hanging like a linebacker's.

Then there's sitting properly. Males tend to occupy more space, spreading their legs and arms out, while women tend to be more compact and tidy. One subtlety is smoothing one's skirt with a swipe of one hand just before taking a seat; it should become second nature. The most feminine way to cross legs is at the ankles; next is knee-over-knee. You would think that nobody needs to be told not to rest one ankle on the other knee or splay one's knees out while wearing a skirt, but...even in pants, it's macho and un-ladylike.

Women tend to be more deferential and less assertive. Feminists would give you an argument here, but we're trying to pass, right? Women smile more for no particular reason, especially at children and puppies. Try to learn a soft little grin that says the opposite of threatening.

In the end, there is just no substitute for practice and critical feedback. Posture is key, and Katie's advice to relax is also important. Everybody in sight really isn't studying you; keep telling yourself that and think of how little attention you pay to most passersby.

Having lived-full-time for nearly a decade back in the 1980s, I was pretty much compelled to develop the whole thing, and now it's automatic to change modes. My wife used to comment often back when we first got together, that my whole affect and some of my personality changed noticeably. Lucky for me she fell in love with the girl first and got the boy as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    Sarah, that's a tall order. . .
    Awesome!!! reply Acastina! Great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by erickka View Post
    Try going to a public place (the nearest mall, etc.) where a lot of GG's of all ages tend to congregate, and casually observe these lovely creatures in their habitat. You can learn a lot...not to mention get a lot of style and fashion tips for free.
    This is what I would do ( I do it). Just watch the GG's.

Good luck,
    Debby

Trying to find balance wishing2bali's Avatar
    Not sure if it's for everyone, but I picked up a pair of 2 1/2" loafer pumps recently, and I can say without question that they helped with my posture right away. They force you to walk more feminine, I feel. Also as previously said, find a long hallway, and a full length mirror, then it's practice, practice, practice!! Good luck.

Sure Sarah just take this little pill and poof you're a girl. Geez I wish it was that easy...

Walking is a constant thought process while scanning the field of view for obstacles... cracks, grass, uneven sidewalk, air grates, etc. At the same time, while you've managed to scrunch your waist down to 0.7 of your hips, your hips tend to move differently. Walking in heels can best be practiced by picking up a pair of kitchen chairs one in each hand then outstretch your arms and walk. You'll see. One foot in front of the other almost like a tightrope, but short steps....

Once you got the walking mastered then you get to try stairs. Up isn't that bad, but down is downright scarry. One slip and you've got a broken ankle...

The rest comes from watching GGs.... not the ones at the Wa*Mrt, the ones at the real department stores.... Take millions of mental notes and when you think you've got it, take a video of yourself and you'll say, OMG I forgot the arms which sway from the outside in around the hips and th.....

Just watch the GGs... and practice, practice, practice.....

Renne.....

Makeup addict!
    From what I've seen from girls, a lot of times walking involves putting one foot directly in front of the other. As for acting like a girl, think of a female friend of yours and base girl self off her

Thumbs up "Never make the same mistake twice! That's what's called: Learning!"

Quote Originally Posted by sarahcsc;2693799 How to walk and act like a girl?
    Can somebody teach me how to walk and act like a girl?
    Sara, no single response can possibly cover such a broad and very important thread as this one is for us CD/TS novices, I feel. Yes, there are others like it scattered throughout the forum, on YouTube, et al., to help us, but this is the one I choose to follow, thank you very much. Two (2) "Positive" thoughts immediately came to mind as I read through the myriad posts:

1) Somehow, by hook, crook and/or miracle I walked perfectly in my very first 4" high 'RED' heels during my first makeover as Misti; which BTW elicited a simultaneous chorus of "Holy S#1t" gushing out of those first five (5) persons ever to meet/see Misti out in the waiting room of Glamour Boutique 2 "My own initial response was: "Houston, I think we have a problem?";

2) Ever since then, I have been practicing virtually 24/7 at home wearing 2" high heels working to "perfect the walk." I feel that it has worked because my SO has commented, without any thought what-so-ever, on two (2) separate occasions recently, about my "Bum (her words) swaying and looking beautiful!" YES!

3) And added this one after watching the Biomotionlab URL
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
    Thanks for that one Alasa;

4) And added this one when I “timed out” and couldn’t find the thread again when I logged back in? (I bookmarked it this time and See my title here).

MORAL TO THIS STORY (and one that I used to teach to my Nationally Ranked Girl's Amateur Softball teams, as well): "Practice doesn't make perfect, only 'perfect practice' makes perfect!" Plus, "Never be afraid to make mistakes; JUST LEARN from those mistakes; and NEVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE! THAT'S WHAT'S CALLED: LEARNING!"

L&R
    M.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Misti; 12-22-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Forgot the Wonder Woman Pic. Eeeeu, If Only we looked like that?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post

"Never be afraid to make mistakes; JUST LEARN from those mistakes; and NEVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE! THAT'S WHAT'S CALLED: LEARNING!"

L&R
    M.
    Wow. Quote of the night. Thanks. My late father was still enrolled in university courses when he died suddenly, one month short of 88, nearly nine years ago. Stop learning, and soon stop living. I've been CDing for nearly 60 years, and I learn something about it every day.

I've quoted my songs here before; another sample:

"I've lost track of my regrets
    They're many more than few
    And the days I would forget
    Are many more than blue"

Lessons learned lie ahead.

Happy Holidays (no War on Christmas intended ;-))

–Annie

The BioMotionLab is Great!!! @Alisa

I have a few tips that help me.

1. Walk with your feet placing in front of each other (like walking on tightrope). Point the toes even in flats. Small and slower steps.

2. Keep the knees close together, imagine there tied together with a small rope.

3. Wiggle the hips (rotating from lower neck), like a pendulum.

4. Tuck in the elbows close to the waist and pull back slightly.

5. Try not to sway the shoulders to much.

6. Keep that head high!!!

Relax!!!

And remember practice and practice well. Practice makes permanent, not always perfect.

x

Silver Member
    Get a vision of how you should walk then practice a lot! We have two things to overcome to do this well. first we have to suppress the way we usually walk and secondly, but a bigger challenge is overcoming our anatomy. GG's have wider hips so their walk isn't just learned it is biomechanical. We need to fake that part without overdoing it. I found that keeping your elbows in by your sides and sort of sauntering helps!

Thumbs up Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    Wow. Quote of the night. Thanks. My late father was still enrolled in university courses when he died suddenly, one month short of 88, nearly nine years ago. Stop learning, and soon stop living. I've been CDing for nearly 60 years, and I learn something about it every day.

I've quoted my songs here before; another sample:

"I've lost track of my regrets
    They're many more than few
    And the days I would forget
    Are many more than blue"

Lessons learned lie ahead.

Happy Holidays (no War on Christmas intended ;-))

–Annie
    No, thank you, Anne. I like you father's quote equally, as well. Plus, your songs have the same knowledge power, too! Happy Holidays to you and yours!
    L&R
    M.

All this year I have been closely watching how GG's walk, particularly the ones that are the same height as I am. Several GG's seem to be struggling with their walk. To me it appeared that many are not used to wearing heels and are having difficulty, many exhibit poor posture...slumping shoulders, lower back out, chest in, several swing their arms like a GM, etc...
    I realized that my walk is my walk. I'm not prancing down the runway at a fashion show, but I'm walking casually and carefully, feet in line, lower back in, shoulders back, head up, making eye contact with those that glance ini my direction and smiling.
    Yes there are many GG's that always walk the ideal walk, and many that dont.

Personally, if you tuck as I do, I will need to walk in a careful manner, always mindful of those certain sensitive items that have been carefully secured and 'locked away'. Tucking also requires me to sit carefully and not just plop myself down on the seat...ouch!

From the moment that I finish dressing and flip my long hair back over my shoulders, everything changes, my persona, attitude, poise, approach, identity, everything shifts and I abandon all of those GM traits learned over a lifetime. The world feels very different to me. Because to the world I am a girl and that is my role from that point on.

It just feels sooooo good!
    Last edited by Carmen; 12-23-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    "Missed it by that much!"