Thread: Joining a group

Joining a group

I recently applied for membership to our local Tri-Beta. I finially recognized the fact that I need to socialize with other folks like me. My therapist is in complete agreement. I'm looking forward to this new experience.
    I believe I was a lesbian in a previous lifetime.

Wendae, You will find this one of the most important things you do in your life.

The friendships that develop will last you for eternity.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

I don’t know what Tri-beta is Wendae. It sounds interesting and I have goggled it but I am still not certain what it is.
    Can you give me a bit more info please? It sounds interesting.

Thank you, SUZY

Exclamation Re: Joining a group

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I don’t know what Tri-beta is Wendae. It sounds interesting and I have goggled it but I am still not certain what it is.
    Can you give me a bit more info please? It sounds interesting.

Thank you, SUZY
    Found Tri-beta on Goggle fourth link on my search: http://www.tri-beta.com/

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I think that groups are a great idea. The only negative is be careful about the politics, if there is any.
    Dana Ryan

There is no groups like that in my area, the way to meet folks like myself is to go to emerald city which is pretty much the only LGBT thing in my part of florida.

I strongly recommend finding a group and become active in it. Nothings beats personal interaction and meeting those like yourself. It is the best and safest way to meet others. You don't have to like everyone and everything about the group, but even making a single friend who you like and trust is well worth any negatives.

Great for you, it can help. I recently started to attend a local group myself for much the same reason. Have only been to a few meetings as yet but I am excited for the new year.

AnitaH

I think CD/TG groups fill a huge need. I am sure a few groups have flaws, but any group is only as effective as its members are activeif a group needs change you don't help by staying away. So give any group you attend several chances. Most groups bring in guest speakers. If nothing else your group gives you a safr sane place to go dressed as youg preferred gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Rose View Post
    I strongly recommend finding a group and become active in it. Nothings beats personal interaction and meeting those like yourself. It is the best and safest way to meet others. You don't have to like everyone and everything about the group, but even making a single friend who you like and trust is well worth any negatives.
    I can only add my personal experience to this. I was absolutely terrified to even establish an account on this site and thanks to wonderful friends like my sis Melissa, I not only go to group events but actually venture out in the mainstream. I have made friends with some absolutely wonderful women! Kind, fun, and just plain crazy but all accepting! This includes the wonderful GG's in the group as well. I just love them! It also includes a number of girls on this site who are even nicer in-person than they are here!

This is the stuff I used to dream about when I was 8 years old and “stuck” on the boy’s side of the classroom!

It WILL be a great experience Wendae!

Have fun!
    Debby

Gold Member
    One more echo that says you will find some friendly smiles when you attend a group. For me, it helped my socializing and I learned a lot from others. And it appears that Tri-Beta already has one of our members in their group, so you might see a friendly name or two.

Until I read this thread, it never occurred to me to think of joining a group. Now, though, it sounds like it might be a nice idea.

The problem is that I'm not sure where I would find a group of people who are like me. Even though I wear skirts, dresses, and the like most of the time, I don't feel like I'd fit in with a group of CD'ers; at least, most of what people here talk about simply isn't my cup of tea, so I suspect I'd find the same in a CDing group. I looked at the Tri-Beta website, and I don't think I fit their definition of trangender. I'm having a hard time imagining how I would find a group that I would fit into. I've had a hard time even finding individuals like me.

I've run into some guys who dress sort of like I do at events where there is contra dancing, but I have the impression that they only dress up for dance events, not in everyday life. I have so far met two men who wear skirts or dresses in everyday life through another website. One is in the DC area, but I haven't been able to keep up contact with him. The other is in Boston, and I do end up getting together for lunch once a year or so with him, which is really nice. (We're both "quirky" and love to talk, we both are more or less liberal politically, we both like long skirts and petticoats but also wear short ones at times. We also both have beards, but, unlike me, he has enough hair to make a nice long ponytail -- I am so envious!)

But sometimes I think maybe I'm just too much of a crank to fit in with any group. Maybe it's just my fate to spend my old age on a front porch in a rocking chair (in a granny dress, of course!) pounding my cane on the floor and fulminating about how the world is going to the dogs.... (I know, world's tiniest violin and all.)