Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking Numbers!

Talking Numbers!

I know it's been done a thousand times and figures like 1 in 100 men cross dress come up all the time. I've come to the conclusion that the true figure is SOOOOOO much higher?

Simply based on the fact that upbringing, family, religion, society etc, prevents so many men from openly confirming their CD'ing desires.

I wonder if the true figure is more like 2-3 times higher?

My only hope is if that is the case then maybe one day a large minority will become so integrated within society that labels such as cross-dresser, transvestite and so on, become meaningless.

Where we are all just people going about our everyday business in clothing we choose!

If that where to ever happen I'd hardly ever be hiding inside for fear of embarrassment and ridicule.........maybe one day

Hang onto that dream, It probably won't happen in our lifetime but it would be soooo nice if we wern't judged for what we wear.
    Forever in Lace

Platinum Member
    I don't know where 1 in 100 comes from...probably its just made up. Does anyone remember data from the Kinsey study or any other reputable survey?

But to the other point - I've seen your pictures, and honestly, if I can move comfortably about my everyday business, then you can too.

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    I read the percentage of male to female crossdressers is between 2 to 3 percent of the population. Give a US population of 315 million, and the male portion being about 48 % then there is about 3.8 million of us.

Numbers! Who knows! In my encounters I have found the number to be one in three have crossdressed! They may not dress often but have done so at least once in there life! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    Hi Sally, When the Goverment makes us all register then we will have a good count .

Orchid

Well according to Dilbert.... "Studys show that 85% of all information on the internet is made up....". How many studys? Ahhh.. 8!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Lets figure it out...

Suppose there are 100 members in each local support group, 52 support groups total and only 1% join groups. This gives 520,000 of 310,000,000 in the USA which is a ratio of 1 in 600.

Another estimate:
    The total number of CDers in USA might be:
    Take this site's data, for example:
    Members 32,190 Active Members 6,957
    Assume that the 32,000 are all the CDers on the internet who found this site from USA (it is probably a lot less because the site is international). We know memberships are not removed, so 32,000 is the number of CDers who joined at least once...and assuming good advertising, this would include all the people who left to join other sites and the ones who are members of all sites.

Assuming the USA population of

Assuming 50% of all people in the USA have internet and 10% of those people who are CDers seek out an online membership.

This gives a 1 in 500 ratio.

So, I think the number is more like less than 0.1%, but that's still a huge total.
    Chickie

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    Since we are talking numbers, note there are about 400 +/- people on the site of which about a quarter are members. So what are the majority of the people doing, lurking?

There are very few of us in the world. That’s what makes us so nice, so blessed, so special!!!!!

SUZY

It's a well known fact that crossdressing is a leading cause of statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie_in_Mt View Post
    Hang onto that dream, It probably won't happen in our lifetime but it would be soooo nice if we wern't judged for what we wear.
    Being someone who has dressed for ages I can remember when the only person you ever heard about was Christine Jorgensen.
    Now TS women are everywhere and obvious to all. We have come so far in just 40 or 50 years.
    No, we may not see that acceptance in our lifetime, but then those that brought us to where we are didn't see it in theirs either. It's a long road and each of us has a part to play. If we all join in then those that follow us will see that day when it's ok to be who we are without fear and reprisal.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'd bet about 40% of men have at least tried on female underwear.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Well according to Dilbert.... "Studys show that 85% of all information on the internet is made up....". How many studys? Ahhh.. 8!
    Thank You Karren I agree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Of course it depends on your threshold definition. Are you talking about the Full Monty—wig & heels, etc.—or are panties sufficient, or socks, or moisturizer? If you make the net wide enough, you could probably include the majority of men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn cd View Post
    Of course it depends on your threshold definition. Are you talking about the Full Monty—wig & heels, etc.—or are panties sufficient, or socks, or moisturizer? If you make the net wide enough, you could probably include the majority of men.
    True. I've seen guys browsing through the bras at Wal*Mart, I've been asked my opinion on hand creme and moisturizer in Health & Beauty, all by very rugged looking guys who 'keep a bottle in their pickup truck'. Some of them use it for aftershave, as the alcohol based ones burn.

Used to teach Sex Ed on the college level, the stat I remember is from 2-3%. Can't remeber the study Kim perhaps it was Kinsey.
    Dana Fleming

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Figures don't lie, but lier's figure!!! I go with more than a few, but not enough to influence the next election. Different studies I have read peg it at between 2% and 5%. They also claim that in some countries it is higher. Maybe the macho boys don't want you to know about their panties hiden in the closet.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Aspiring Member
    I can easly belive hard core/fulltime crossdressers 1/1200 dress at home for fun 1/300 dress to some point to destress 1/100

Quote Originally Posted by Meg East View Post
    Since we are talking numbers, note there are about 400 +/- people on the site of which about a quarter are members. So what are the majority of the people doing, lurking?
    I suspect that the majority of those non-members are people who arrived here from Google searches for certain words like "breast." Lots of people looking for pr0n on the 'net.

The forum software can be set up to show who has visited in a specified time period. Each of those 400 non-members could be a single pageview several hour ago.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

i think the numbers are much higher. think about some of these things.
    1. Even Amazon.com sells breast forms. Think of all the online retailers that cater to cross dressers, transgender, transsexual, and the like. Demographics will drive the need for a business venture, but remember that's only the tip of the iceberg. Granted a lot of women who have had mastectomies, but still a lot of people are buying breast forms.
    2. There are loads of doctors who do SRS and facial feminization surgery. Even if people don't go that far, they're getting somethings done, electrolysis, hair removal and so on.
    3. Think of how many people cross dress for fetish reason. A man can hire a dominatrix who will make them dress up like women. Look at all the ads on Craigslist and people who are on Adult Friend Finder.

Including my SO, I don't now of ANY women that wear dress, skirt or blouses. Most of them wear jeans. Just look at what women are wearing the next time you're out in public. Just briefly, count jean and shirts, versus, skirts and dresses. Someone is buying all this stuff, some people are talking about it and some are very open about it. But i would say that for every one person who is open about cross-dressing, being transgender, transsexual and so on, there are many, many more that we don't know about.

If you created a bell curve, with say 5% of men who cross dress on a regular basis, just for the enjoyment on it, place the fetishists on the left side and the ones who become transgender or even have SRS on the right side, I think the number could easily be as high as 25% when all is said and done.
    man, i feel like a woman

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    I hope the ones that want to do.... the ones that do not, stay out of the way... I will let them make their choices as I make mine.
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator):
    What we do in this life, echoes in eternity..

You can fine me here on Facebook!

I am pretty sure the exact number is 142 gazillion, but only 38,168 "real" ones ...

...give or take a couple hundred thousand.

but I could be wrong...

Ah, You are referring to Earth, right?

If not...subtract 12...that should be close enough...

Statistics are like pick-up-sticks to me...it seems people are always cheating because of some personal agenda...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra54 View Post
    ............Including my SO, I don't now of ANY women that wear dress, skirt or blouses. Most of them wear jeans.......
    Too true! I probably wear a skirt more than my wife does....in fact I own MORE skirts than she does

Gold Member
    There is no way that you can gauge sales of skirts and dresses and use that to assume that there are many crossdressers. Just look at the quantity of stores that carry crossdressers only items (extremely few and only in certain cities) and compare that to the stores that carry skirts and dresses (almost all clothing stores).

If you aren't seeing women wearing dresses and skirts, I am astounded as it is very common here so I can't see it being none elsewhere.

There are too many things that keep us from knowing the percentages. The definition of a crossdresser changes with each person and most crossdressers seem to be closeted. Those two by themselves make it completely impossible.