Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive EKG

Offensive EKG

I had my bi-annual physical today and I was sent to the local hospital for an EKG just to double check my heart. I have never had an EKG before so I was a little nervious. I finally made it into the exam room at the hospital and the nurse came in and told me that I needed to remove my coat and shirt and lay down on the exam table. I did as instructed and exposed my freshly shaved chest and piercings. She looked at me and said "honey did you shave your chest? I was going to warn you about the tape and your chest hair but it looks like you took care of it?" I turned red and replied "my wife likes it like this" Her reply was "Oh geez do you make her shave her muff too?" I couldn't believe it and didn't say another word. I knew that she would notice my shaved chest, but I didn't think that by law they could say anything? Wow! My wife was steaming mad when I told her and wants me to report her actions to the hospital. The EKG came out fine but it was a first for me as a CDer.

I wouldn't worry. Just like us, the real world is made up of all types of characters and people. She was probably just being friendly in her extroverted and in your face way.

Not sure they are not allowed to comment and ask questions. But hey try going on hormones for a year and being called in for an EKG... That's when the eyebrows really hit the ceiling! Actually, every time I've had to do it, everyone was very professional.
    Glad the EKG was all right.

CAT

I have had many but never anything said about my shaved body,also I've had the sensors put on my ankles for the test and nothing said about my legs being free of hair.My test were routine for awhile because of my hypertension and the thickening of the arterial wall and the technicians were both male and female.And also the sonagram with the gel,good thing I was shaved.Bye-Bye,Lisa.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

All she said was good you shaved your chest and made a joke. She was trying to put you at ease as you said you were nervous. I have had several ekg's and at times the nurse will say to me that she was glad I shaved my chest. No biggie.

I suspect that she was pleased that you were shaved and was commenting positively from a technical perspective. You escalated it by saying your wife likes it like this.. and she responded trying to capture your response... So your wife wants you to shave your chest... therefore do you want her to shave her 'muff'... The appropriate answer would have been... "of course", with a wink... or "I would not dare"... with a bigger wink! Or if you were really daring... "Do you?"... but then they just may have called in the dream police!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Simple slip, no harm no foul. If it is that important for your wife to get the poor woman written up then call. Next time you may get someone who looks like they sucked a lemon and only talks to you from a script. I would have been more upset she called me "honey".
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    LOL, you opened the door to friendly banter, a simple 'yes' might have been in order. As to telling your wife, gasoline and fire never mix, 'slap' what were you thinking ?!?!?!?
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I get an EKG about once a year, because I had by-pass surgery twenty years ago. Seems without fail, The Nurse or Tech will say something about having my chest shaved. If it's not derogatory, I'd let it pass. It really doesn't matter what she/he thinks, and it is absolutely my business whether or not I choose to shave off my body hair. DON'T come up with some lame excuse, say nothing and if your tech is professional, that should be the end of it! If you get badgered, or they say something negative; by all means start looking for The Administrator's Office and demand attention. I guarantee if you raise a ruckus, no more comments will be forthcoming, and somebody's job is probably in danger.

However, I would think most personnel are starting to get used to males removing hair from their bodies. These days, most of the younger generation of males being ultra body-conscious, is doing that exact thing. Maybe they just haven't worked with that many young people yet, so it's a bit unusual. In the future, (because we all know that once you start shaving, you don't stop) they are going to see many, many males who are hair-free. Next time, you will probably get a different response.

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 01-06-2012 at 11:46 AM.

I was not offended as much as my wife was and I am just kind of letting it go. I guess that I was expecting no comment from the nurse and then there it was. It's all part of the learning curve to me and I am just relieved that there was nothing wrong with my ticker. The nurse also put sensors on my ankles and I am sure noticed my shaved legs also but nothing more was said. I have yet to go out in public en-femm so exposing my bare chest and piercings to a total stranger was well...a first.
    "Tear down the wall!"

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    i wonder why your wife took such an offense to that exchange. mine wouldn't have

Rochelle, getting out can be made up of a lot of little steps as one builds up their confidence and self assurance, or one or two very large steps. You do what is best for you and enjoy the process. I think that all of us here are just voicing our opinion of what we understood from your original post. I personally, think that the nurse might have been a bit to forward and direct. But like I said, that may just be the way she is to everyone. So, don;t let it bother you and keep on your path.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have gone in for an EKG dressed completely enfemme. Since I wear a bra every day, and underdress even if I am in drab, my doctors know that I am a CD and so do their nurses. The nurse do comment on my panties and camisoles sometimes, but that is not a problem to me! I dress to please myself, and if other people like what I am wearing that is good.
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I think it's fun to have those kind of quasi-flirting conversations with the medical technicians, and I try to make the best of the situation every chance I get. I'm pretty shy and quiet naturally and it's a real pleasure when someone extroverted can draw me into a conversation, even a slightly racy one. I'm kind of disappointed when I go in and they don't comment on my nails, piercings, tattoos, lack of body hair and so forth. I'm not sure I would have reported the conversation to my wife, though.

- Diane

Not so new of a girl Missy Tanya's Avatar
    Wow Rochelle, I'm glad all turned out OK. Funnier part would have been for you to have to explain the bra marks!! As your mommy always said, not leave home with out clean underwear.

Once I have some cute panties on and had to make a quick stop in for a shot. The doctor asked me to come in and drop my pants, she need to check something. Boy was a awful careful to pull both the pants and panties down at the same time while her back was turned. Never did know if she notice them or not. But my blood pressure was up I'm sure.

Hey girl, Thanks for the words of encouragement. Funny how two strangers can meet somewhere like this and have so much in common.

Hugs Tanya

I have to have a mammogram taken every two years. I've done this going on 12 years now. Most have gone real well with nobody saying anything. About six years ago when I went The nurse in radiology came out to a well populated waiting room and announced "Mr.______? We're ready to give you your mammogram now", in an above normal voice. I could've died on the spot I was so embarrassed. And yes there were grins and snide remarks were being made. I could've choked that nurse.

I more am irate about a trained medical professional using an offensive nickname for a portion of female anatomy. Now, if she had asked if you made your wife shave her pubic mound...

Seems to me that her responses were very unprofessional. No one at my Dr has ever made any comment about me being shaved. Even when I went in the hospital for a cardiac catheterization and they were preparing to insert it in the artery in the groin area (that being shaved completely also) the only thing the nurse said was, "Oh, you're shaved already, good". And that was that.

I don't think I would say anything to her superiors, but it was uncalled for.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by BillieJoEllen View Post
    I have to have a mammogram taken every two years. I've done this going on 12 years now. Most have gone real well with nobody saying anything. About six years ago when I went The nurse in radiology came out to a well populated waiting room and announced "Mr.______? We're ready to give you your mammogram now", in an above normal voice.
    That's totally unprofessional. They should simply call your name and not reveal any information about your medical procedures or condition.

You should at least have mentioned this to the nurse. It was probably an innocent mistake, but it's still potentially embarrassing and illegal.

- Diane

Same book, different page...or...same body...different area...

A couple minutes prior to having hernia repair surgery...I was shuffled into the little changing room outside of the operating room. The OR assistant handed me the traditional open back gown, booties, a hair cap. Right on top of the clothes she handed me sits an electric shaver. She proceeded to tell me I needed to shave my groin area as close as possible prior to dressing in my surgery gear.

I just smiled and said..."Been there/done that"...my body is as smooth as a Baby's butt." She just smiled and said "Great, then I guess you get to skip that part!"

I would love to have heard all of the comments when they removed that gown on the operating table...

Hey, it was in Las Vegas...."What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"...right? lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess. No chest hair, never had any. Really light arm hair (I've been asked if I shave my arms more than once, never have). No back hair (thank god). Really thin leg hair, easy to shave. I can grow a goatee but it's kind of straggly, so I usually don't. Not able to grow a beard.

Although I don't in any way appear as a Native American, I have some Algonquin Indian heritage (New England area, researched and proved by my uncle several years ago, I'm 1/16th), which may account for my lack of body hair. I'm not complaining, the less shaving the better!!!

I could wish my hair on top was thicker, but I'll take what I can get.

As far as hospital visits go, I guess it's obvious by looking that I'm generally not hairy anyway, and I haven't gone to the hospital with shaved legs yet. No one has ever said anything to me at all.
    Last edited by Crysten; 01-07-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

As far as I know, medical people can not talk about it with others and out you, but can't comment, never herd that one. I've been told to pull off my pantyhose for leg exams, (was not wearing anything fem mine, never have, she just thought it was a funny thing to say to a guy. I've also had my toenail paint job complimented on while in ER, that one I know he talked, because I saw two little candy striper's watching me, and giggling across the room as I was leaving, neither time did it wind up in the newspaper or get back to anyone, so that's all you can really ask. Rules be damned, people talk.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Sence having knee surgrie in 2001 and related physical therapy (TINS therapy also) I have a sticky phobia lol they use some really big and sticky pads for that. And sence I have an abundance of chest hair, I shave my chest before I have my annual physical. The first time I let them shave me they burnt me with the clipper's !!! Damm that hurt !! And on the next time ( different tech) they cut me so now I save my self the pain and do it my self .

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Smith View Post
    You should at least have mentioned this to the nurse. It was probably an innocent mistake, but it's still potentially embarrassing and illegal.
    This is so true. HIPPA laws are very strict. I know a person in the insurance industry opened a file on a person that she was not working a claim on. First time offense and fired. It is probably the way it should be, but I did find it surprising that there wasn't any form of wrist slaps or punishment.

Should have told her about the rubber sheets and the cooking oil!! lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos