Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: style confusion?

style confusion?

So, I was at work tonight and noticed this girl about 20ish wearing a day dress, jeans, flip flops and a long sleeve shirt under the dress. I thought it a little tacky to be wearing a dress over her other clothes. What are your thoughts when you see things like this?

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I see this all of the time.
    Dana Ryan

Women and girls have the freedom and liberty to dress however they want. ......that's what makes me sickenly jealous.
    La la, I'll wear this dress today, la la that outfit tomorrow, so on and so forth. So I made the decision to join the club.

Its not really a fashion statement that I like. It would not be anything that I would wear but then again-to each their own.

I have seen that before. The big casual style now is layering, from multiple tops to shirts, leggings and even slacks under dresses. It will last as long as enough people enjoy it. Then it will quietly fade away. I live in a glass house and try not to throw stones, also my kettle and pot are black so I try not to criticize others, and I do like my personal freedom to wear what I want.

My thoughts are to smile at the cute girl in the mirror! :-) That is pretty much how I like to dress every day, except my footwear is more weather appropriate to where I live. Would it shock you to know that one of my favourite looks right now is wearing a short grey and black minidress overtop a long black and white woolen fringed skirt? I especially love it with a flared-at-the-hips turquoise cardigan that ties reminiscent of a blazer, a long strand of faux bronzy rosy pearls tied in a knot hanging past my navel, and a CUTE little black cloche hat! It makes me want to put on super dark lipstick, big smoky eyes, and dance like Josephine Baker.

"You cannot wear a skirt and pants at the same time" is pretty much the same sort of silly rule as "you cannot wear a skirt with a penis unless you call it a kilt and press a gadjillion pleats into it." Stick it to 'the man', man! Make up your own rules! :-)

Also - wearing a short dress in that style turns it into a tunic, which is a style influence nod to not just crazy 1960s catsuit knits but also to very old European styles, very current East Indian styles (love, love love those punjabi pantsuits!) and Renfaires the Western World over. (I love it when these dresses also have big pockets at front, too - herro, cute indie smock loveliness!

OK Babeda, now that you have described an intriguing outfit, I think that a nice pic would be appropriate. It sounds wonderful.

I guess its just not my kinda style. I think its a silly style, but I have the same thought on the dress and skirt as babeba, I have actually tried it! I prefer the vintage style looking dresses with lots of ruffles and lace, which use petticoats and I am a huge fan of petticoats. I don't own any, but I will! I guess my style is a little older than my age. I have 2 vintage style dresses, so sewing something like a dress over jeans and a tshirt baffles me. I think it ruins the look of a pretty dress and wearing it like that points out to me that things are turning to casual. Maybe I'm to shallow minded to see how this is a fun and exciting style.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I see so many tacky fem looks these days. And, NOT just at my daughter's high school! When I ask her about some of the worst, she usually think they look fine. The fem dressing rules HAVE CHANGED!

I'm just thrilled that muffin top jeans r out! I can't tell u how many lunches they ruined for me! Urp!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Krew View Post
    So, I was at work tonight and noticed this girl about 20ish wearing a day dress, jeans, flip flops and a long sleeve shirt under the dress. I thought it a little tacky to be wearing a dress over her other clothes. What are your thoughts when you see things like this?
    its no worse than the men in wrinkled ill-fitted clothes, ties (if they can find one)with short sleeve shirts, no pocket square, snap front shirts, dockers, no cufflinks, etc,.

I saw this guy yesterday that couldn't be bothered to wear a vest. just rolled out of bed and was out in public
    Last edited by Miranda-E; 01-06-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Hi,

So the clothes Police are about again quick youd better hide.... OR ... youll be fined ,

so who says what we can or cant wear. In our groups if you did not know us youd more than likely think what ...the..... we dress differently & Yes i have worn my Renaissance clothes down the road. with about 100 peoople see me. on different days. yea yea i know a show off..... love it. ya well im weird so whats new.

...noeleena...

I see lots of women (mostly young women) in their pajamas and house shoes and little tiny spaghetti strap tops that go to just above the muffin. Just go to your local Wal-Mart and you will see plenty of this. To be fair there are a few men out in their pajamas as well but mostly young girls. This is not fashion, this is a statement that says you don't give a damn how you present yourself in public.

I have to admit I'm pretty reluctant to post pics, because I'm a fairly young GG and I don't know how fair it is to take attention on this site from the ladies who have to work a hell of a lot harder on their figures and faces.

I think dress tastes have changed - I find a dress over skirt more shocking than over pants, IMO!

Certainly not my taste or style, but it seems to be prevalent these days as the layering trend continues. I also don't see the style in layering multiple t-shirts or tops and having one hem displayed below the other. Just seems sloppy to me...but then what do I know?
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Haven't you ever watched what not to wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Krew View Post
    Haven't you ever watched what not to wear?
    All the time...and I shop at WalMart....enough said???
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    I am too far removed from that age group to really know what is in style. Our oldest daughter tends to be a bit more upscale in her fashion sense, while the younger and her friends are far more casual, and more likely to mix and match, seemingly at random. I have to go my own way, which is more reserved.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    No, I have never watched What Not to Wear, because I don't want anyone telling me what not to wear! I get enough of that in life, thank you very much!

Seriously, you need to develop your own sense of style. If your sense of style is rocker chick, go for it! If your sense of style is boring librarian (Guilty! ), go for it! If your sense of style includes the long over lean look (a dress or tunic over skinnies or tights, and one of my faves), go for it!

Wear what's comfortable. Wear what's shocking. Wear what's in fashion. Wear what's not in fashion. Basically, wear what's stylish to you.

Kathi

Silver Member
    I think that 20 year olds, like 65 year olds, can wear whatever they darn well please.

S

Ah, the benefit of dressing "home alone": no style rules

fashion is such an interesting thing. And it has gotten very casual, for sure. A bad thing? I don't know, and no one asked me. The interesting part to me is the variety these days. Well, once most get past the high school years.

I would like to know when it became OK for some younger and some older gg's to be showing plumbers crack? I have a daughter and would not like that fasion statement. Somethings are best left for the imagination.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    While certainly not my age related style, I firmly support the wear what makes you feel good philosophy, and others opinions be damned. Otherwise I would not be longing for 6 inch stilettos, mini skirt, with fishnet, and 44DD. If that doesnt make me feel good then I will change, but I am going for it at least once.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I'm sorry, did I miss it? Can someone tell me where to find the rule book that says what can and can't be worn?

It's cold out there in the north east. Let me tell you, if I felt like wearing a day dress today, I probably would have worn a long sleeve shirt under it too. Damn! it is cold out.

Although I might be more included to wear a sweater dress and boots.

Did I mention it was cold out?
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Being a redneck country girl I know all about wearin' jeans under my dress! Cus' what was good enough fer' my mother is good 'nough fer' me! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone: