Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My local/state representative says he would stomp me

My local/state representative says he would stomp me

I live in Chattanooga, TN. Unfortunately. A state representative from my specific city and county introduced a bill to keep transgendered persons from using the bathrooms of their true/perceived genders. And on top of it, he went on record saying that, "I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry."

This guy represents the people where I live! Do I feel safe dressing femininely in public in my town? Absolutely not! I'm trying not to overreact, but I don't feel safe where I live. I was going out this weekend, but I think I will stay home, instead.

Here is the full article from this morning's paper:

Bathroom bill loses a sponsor --Transgendered must use facility of birth gender, legislation says

NASHVILLE — Sen. Bo Watson, RHixson, on Thursday withdrew the Senate version of a controversial House measure requiring transgender people to use public bathrooms and dressing rooms that match their birth gender.
    Watson, who is chairman of the Hamilton County legislative delegation, said he sponsored the bill as a standard courtesy to local House members. This bill was sponsored by Rep. Richard Floyd, R-Chattanooga.
    “I understand Rep. Floyd’s passion about the issue, but we have more pressing issues before us that we need to focus our attention on and we don’t need to get sidetracked,” Watson said.
    Floyd said earlier Thursday he introduced the bill after reading a news story about a Texas woman who said she was fired from Macy’s after stopping a male teen dressed as a woman from using a dressing room.
    “It could happen here,” Floyd said. “I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry.
    “Don’t ask me to adjust to their perverted way of thinking and put my family at risk,” he said. “We cannot continue to let these people dominate how society acts and reacts. Now if somebody thinks he’s a woman and he’s a man and wants to try on women’s clothes, let him take them into the men’s bathroom or dressing room.”

The bill would charge violators with a misdemeanor carrying a $50 fine.
    The bill drew swift condemnation on gay and liberal blogs.
    Jonathan Cole of the Tennessee Equality Project dubbed it the “Police the Potty” bill.
    He noted that state law already prohibits Tennessee natives from amending their gender on birth certificates, even after undergoing medical procedures to change gender.
    Cole called the legislation “one of the most vicious attack bills ever filed against transgender people in state government.”
    On the Huffington Post’s Gay Voices blog, Scottie Thomaston, a self-described “queer and criminal justice rights and disability rights activist and writer,” attacked the bill and the Tennessee General Assembly.
    He accused state lawmakers of “proposing and passing some of the most homophobic and transphobic bills in the country — it is, after all, the state that passed HB600 stripping local jurisdictions of LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] antidiscrimination provisions.”
    He also cited two other pending bills, one that exempts schools from an antibullying law when students’ criticism is based on their religious beliefs. Critics call it the “license to bully” bill.
    Another measure, dubbed as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, prohibits teachers from discussing homosexuality in kindergarten through eighthgrade classrooms.

Glad to hear that particular bill was withdrawn. But doesn't yur representative's attitudes just say so much about the level of bigotry. And I was distressed to read of passage of a bill stripping anti-discrimination provisions from local jurisdictions. I'm concerned that so many legislatures have become instruments of hate and discrimination.

I guess Tennessee isn't what one might call progressive.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Sounds like you should schedule a meeting with your representative face to face.

Perhaps invite the media, then ask him why you threaten his manhood so much that he would mindlessly beat you based on things that happen only in his twisted imagination.

As someone who knows the South of the US pretty well and has family/friends/contacts there, I find this news disappointing, though hardly surprising. Hooray for the Land of Cotton!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Absolutely horrible, Amanda! That self ritious people like this can openly preach hate in America! What's even MORE frightening is the rite wing religious fascists spreading hate, exclusion, and the continued assault on our individual rites on a national level!!

Even worse is the fact that some of them GET ELECTED!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Mandy,

How is it proposed that they check your gender? THAT would be an interesting test of authority

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Glad to hear that particular bill was withdrawn. But doesn't yur representative's attitudes just say so much about the level of bigotry. And I was distressed to read of passage of a bill stripping anti-discrimination provisions from local jurisdictions. I'm concerned that so many legislatures have become instruments of hate and discrimination.
    Well said Kim. There is a mayor in Michigan that has been caught twice making homophobic remarks in public. She's in deep crap because of it.

What is this that so many elected officials are so interested in others people sexual habits and want to invade their privacy ? Maybe it's the elected officials who's " habits " should be investigated. In the past many pols & preachers who were anti gay, transgender, ect, turned out to be leading a double life. What's the old saying ? " People who throw stones " .
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Banned Read only
    Methinks the man doth protest too much.

Gold Member
    The benefit of homophobic bigot GOVT officials is when they make their snide remarks, they are quickly made examples of.

Now that bigots are seen as a problem, it is good that they are outing themselves so the rest of the world can deal with them.

In that respect, we should be glad Bo Watson said that. It is kind of like when that mystery noise under the hood of your car finally turns into an easily-spottable malfunction. Sure it is a pain but then you know where the problem lies and can fix it.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Banned Read only
    I cannot really recall reading a news article where a cross dresser/transgendered person annoyed, bothered, molested anybody. It always seems it is a supposedly 'straight' man: scout leader, legislator, coach. Whenever I read an article concerning a transgendered person, gay, lesbian, etc it seems they are always the victim of an assault. Recently in my area a man assaulted two women, who 'appeared' to be lesbians. It turned out a female care giver of a disabled woman was lending support to her disabled woman so she would not fall.

I'm glad my state and city protects the rights of all transgendered persons from discrimination. However, nothing written into law will protect anybody from somebody who hates another for their race, creed, national origin and sexuality. Most laws come into play to assert penalties after the transgression. It is always wise to use caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Sounds like you should schedule a meeting with your representative face to face.
    And wear your best stomping high heels

I kid

I suggest getting a few transwomen and transmen together to attend the debate on the bill, and hopefully be able argue your own point. Ask the congressman which of the people standing before him he would stomp for entering a woman's dressing room or bathroom.

His bill would require transmen, who look more masculine that many men, to use the ladies rooms. How would he know, when a man presenting as a man enters the ladies room, whether or not that person was trans? They going to have ID checks for everyone entering?

His bill has tunnel vision in that he is only concerned with men dressed as women, or transwomen. He totally ignors the fact that his bill would require transmen to use the ladies.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 01-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    DonnaT

As an elected official he should never use such language. These are the same types of idiots that wanted to arm the drunks in the bars here in TN. We still don't vote them out and he'll wind up with all kinds of support for his statement. Billie Jean

If anyone would like to contact Rep Floyd

Rep. Richard Floyd
    R-Chattanooga
    District 27 — Part of Hamilton County — Mapdistrict address
    306 Altoona Drive
    Chattanooga, TN 37415

nashville address
    301 6th Avenue North
    Suite G-24 War Memorial Building
    Nashville, TN 37243

rep.richard.floyd@capitol.tn.gov
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 01-22-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: phone & fax numbers removed

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22 View Post
    "I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry."
    Do you think this is an attiude just displayed in TN? I can assure you that it is not. Many many places are like this, especially in the south. We don't all live in NYC.

Silver Member
    He's probably PO'd that TN has #8 on the "Gayest Cities in the US" list.

http://news.advocate.com/post/155717...n-america-2012

From that:

"8. Knoxville, Tenn.

The state’s legislature has been an unmitigated disaster for our rights, making a law to prevent cities from adopting LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination ordinances ...Nevertheless, Knoxville has defiantly produced a robust gay scene, including the University of Tennessee’s Commission for LGBT People; a welcoming spot for queer, trans, and other marginalized teens at Spectrum Café (SpectrumCafe.org); gay-affirming churches; and thriving nightlife."

Lea

What always amazes me is that this type of hatred typically comes from those who yell the loudest about getting government out of their lives, yet they want laws and even a Constitutional amendment to control those who they don't like.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Email sent, despite the bill being withdrawn. This kind of attitude, when held in private, is bad enough ... many times worse when the attitude is reinforced by someone in authority.

I'd say I'm glad I don't live in TN, but really, MissMarcie is right -- this attitude pervades most of the United States .. and TN is a beautiful place.

update: I received replies from both Senator Bo Watson and Representative Richard Floyd. Basically one sentence saying "thanks".
    Last edited by Debb; 01-13-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: UPDATED.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMarcie View Post
    Do you think this is an attiude just displayed in TN? I can assure you that it is not. Many many places are like this, especially in the south. We don't all live in NYC.
    Hi MissMarcie. You are right and I didn't mean to imply that it only happens where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    If anyone would like to contact Rep Floyd
    Done ........................
    DonnaT

Amanda, that's really sad.
    Al I hear from Tennessee is lawmakers proposing all these silly laws like "Don't say gay' in public schools, and all these other really draconian measures,a dndoing a complete 180° of what other states like New York are doing. It seems like there's an LGBT panic from where you live. I am getting more wary of christian fundamentalist groups that are twisting the arms of lawmakers. ....that's what's really happening. In their eyes, the onlu thing worse than homosexuals are transgender people, which to them, seems more extreme.
    I don't usually think about it much, but where I live I'm pretty lucky to go out and mingle in the public, like I did last night a a restaurant, and crowded sports bar. Here in New Jersey, we are protected by law to use whatever bathroom in the gender we present as. It's in the books.

This foolishness is from the mouth and mind of a US senator? And please tell me how a person who is dressed enfemme or dressed in any other way is
    perverted or can cause any risk to his family. I have his mailing address and he will surely hear from me..dana

And as for your state rep, I would like to talk to him face to face.That is why
    it is so important to start opening the doors of our closets and be more
    visible in everyday life...Well what can one say to a man dressed up in womens
    clothes? Start with Hellow and good morning..dana
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 01-22-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: merged please use the edit button

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Think the politician needs help,the only twisted individual is that Mental Case.I wonder if he's protesting just a little too much

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    Methinks the man doth protest too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    What is this that so many elected officials are so interested in others people sexual habits and want to invade their privacy ? Maybe it's the elected officials who's " habits " should be investigated. In the past many pols & preachers who were anti gay, transgender, ect, turned out to be leading a double life. What's the old saying ? " People who throw stones " .
    Exactly. As a songwriter friend of mine said years ago about Anita Bryant: "I hate to be blatant/But could he be latent?"