Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reactions when buying a wig?

Yeah, they're like hamburger commercials on television; they look better in the commercial.

Hi,

!! years ago i brought my first one from a lady who was a hair dresser. she was good .
    The 2 nd one form another lady who did wigs for those who have had chemo. & she too was nice,

another one i brought from a pretty big store in Thailand, Phuket.

So no i'v not had any issues with people & iv talked about hair & wigs with other people in shops,

,,,noeleena...

Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post

Some are GG's that have also lost one or more of their breasts. When they walk through her door, their dignity and self esteem can be as low as it gets. So if anyone truly understands how to deal with scared and anxious people, it would have to be a wig merchant.

Babette
    Babette- Very well put, I am going to say ALL wig shops have TG customers, and for the reason you outlined above they are very nice. Just be polite, well dressed, and smile- you will have a great expereince!!!!!

Went in drab with my wife to Koos wigs in Annapolis Mall Maryland. Oriental sales lady quitely asked my wife why I was getting a womans wig. Wife replied "we like to play around.
    Tried on a bunch of wigs, bought one for me and one for my wife. I had 2 wigs bought on line but there is no comparison to actually seeing one on yourself. This one gave my wife enough confidence to take me out to restaurants with her.

I have purchased wigs in wig shops and online. Advantages and drawbacks to both.
    When I bought at a wig shop, it was always in guy mode, but I always said the wig was for myself when asked. I think it helps the SA serve me better, and it's a bit of a kick.
    Two experiences come to mind:
    1) I was look at a wig at a mall wig shop. The SA offered to let me try the wig on, but I was reluctant. She said I could go to the back of the store, out of public view, so I did. AAARRRRGGGHH. I looked horrible, in guy mode, no makeup. Never did that again. Well, I ended up buying the wig, but hated it, and didn't keep it long.
    2) I went to a mall wig shop looking for a new wig, and had a nice long conversation with the SA (it was a slow day in the shop), and showed her some of my pics. She was quite interested in the whole crossdressing thing, and said she had many male customers. It helps to understand, and serve, your customers. I asked if I could return near closing time, en femme wearing the new wig I had just bought, and she was thrilled to say YES. So I did. It was a fun time for me. She offered to put other wigs on me, as I was fully made up, but I declined (wishing later that I had tried on some other wigs). I think I was nervous about being seen (even by her) with short guy-style hair while en femme. Silly, I know.
    Wig shops sell to lots of cd's. I think they can easily see through the excuses for buying: (costume, gift for wife (are you kidding?), etc. Better to be honest about it for better service, even if you have to go to another city if you're deep in the closet.

I bought a wig from K-Mart many years ago. Of course at that time I didn't try it on in the store. Took it home and tried it on. I absolutely hated the look it gave to me. I took it back to K-Mart to get my money back. When I took it to the service desk I told the SA that I wanted to return it. She asked me point blank, "Whats the matter, didn't it fit?"
    Her reply really took me and a lady that was helping her completely by surprise. I muttered something about returning it for my wife and when I said that she looked at me in a very sarcastic way and knowing way. Today I think I would have reported her but back then....

Aspiring Member Sasha Anne Meadows's Avatar
    I usually buy on line but years ago, before the internet, I went to a wig store in a nearby town. I said I wanted a wig for halloween. I think the sales people detected my nervousness and didn't even write up a sales slip. I haven't been back since since I get nicer wigs in the internet now.

OMG girl, that was what I did last week. I need to get out of the closet and had some cash to burn so off to the wig store at the mall enfemme. I figured what the heck, if they don't want my money, I just buy something online. I walked in, was asked very nicely if I needed any assistance, I said not yet. I walked to the back of the store and looked at a medium length burnette style and then the SA walked up and asked again. I said, I'd like that one. That was it. She packed it up for me, I paid and waltzed out of the store with my purchase.... lovin' every minute of it....

Renne.....

Platinum Member
    Hi Katie, The lady where I get my wigs says that she has a lot of male customers.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I originally spend a lot of time looking in the window of a wig shop many miles away, afraid to be seen buying one. Also, the prices were way more than I wanted to pay. I decided to go online and see what I could find. I wanted a long, somewhat straight wig. I first found wigs.com, and an inexpensive wig by Wigpro called 'Georgie'. A synthetic, quite long, and what they referred to as a 'large cap'. Very comfortable. I wear them frequently, and of course, the strands get tangled. But some of the fun is taking the time to untangle those tangles one by one. It takes a while, but the cap stretches out over time, and brushing or combing removes some of the strands. My first wig lasted me a year and a half. Since then, I've added two more, another in a slightly lighter blond, and a dark brown brunette.
    all I can say, is it feels nice. And I don't have to be concerned at all with what anyone thinks. Only me!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Called a Wig store to make sure it was ok. Woman who answered the phone didn't get it at first, then she was very nervous. Too bad lost a sale...
    Hugs and Kisses,

Vanessa Jane

I usually have fun when trying wigs on.
    Go in light hearted, tell them it's for you, for whatever reason and ask them to do their best for you.
    It puts them at ease, they love a challenge and stimulating interaction.
    If they appear aprehensive, BACK OFF.
    They..... are the SA's.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Saw a new wig store in a shopping center. will give it a try and let you know. Oh went to an MD today with French nails and two " heels. nary a look to my knowledge. Nails cause spelling bloppers oh well they are beautiful.
    Last edited by diannecourtney; 01-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.

I've gone to a good shop in Denver. Bought a couple wigs there so far. Once I had the confidence to go the first time it was a great experience. I was in drab and just walked in. The woman who helped me asked my price range and we were off to the races! Must have tried on 25 or so. I probably paid a little more than online but I think trying them on is the best way to choose. Hmmm... what's my next style?

Silver Member
    If you have a local gender community, ask them for a reference. A wig shop that is trans friendly will let itself be known to the community, via advertising, sponsorships or just word of mouth.

Not all wig shops are welcoming. Many years ago I was going to school in a small town in western NY. I went into the wig shop just looking to buy a bottle of wig shampoo, and boy did I receive an icy welcome. It turns out it was a shop that catered to elderly women, I didn't know that per se, and the very elderly shopowner asked me what I wanted, sold me the shampoo and rushed me out the door. I had just finally gotten up the courage to buy a wig in person too. Oh, well.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 01-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katiegal View Post
    Hey ladies. Since I'm guessing a lot of crossdressers buy wigs from stores and thus retailers know men buy wigs, have any of you had any odd reactions while buying one?

Kisses
    Katie
    I guess I've had an odd reaction, but only if you consider nothing odd and odd reaction.

I was a great experience to be fussed over and treated like a lady. I must have tried on over a dozen wigs at each of the wig stores I went to.

But, at least wear concealer to cover the beard. No wig looks good against a bearded face.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

All really good advice given on here.

Open attitudes are just one of the fun things about living in the bay area. Nobody has ever batted an eye, and i've always gone in drab mode. I feel for you Beth, sounds like Tennessee can be challenging sometimes.

I just start off by entering the store and saying , "hi, i do drag and i'm looking for....." It's really that simple.
    Last edited by Devorah; 01-20-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    But, at least wear concealer to cover the beard. No wig looks good against a bearded face.
    As in outside? In male mode?!

I have never bought a wig at a wig shop. The only ones I have bought are either through ebay or at a halloween store. I will probably go to a wig shop this year though.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Last wig I bought.... When I tried it on.... the girl said "ohh wow... That is really cute on you"... SOLD!! I love Lolittas Lingerie Store!
    Gawd Karren...This is a great photo of you...Pertinent to the thread's subject matter, too...Great hair.. You look different here...Smooches Jackie
    Jackie

Just before Christmas I called a Beauty Salon that also specializes in wigs in a city about 60 miles from my home, asked if they had any problem coming for appointment dressed, said no problem. Got up day of appointment, great makeup job and tastefully dressed drove to appointment. It was great, beautician treated me like one of the girls, took me to fitting room and started trying on wigs, other beauticians would pop in to see how it was going. Was there about 45 minutes and wound up buying a gorgeous Raquel Welch wig which the beautician cut and styled for me. Afterwards I felt really great and went to the mall shopping. Will never do mail order wigs again

I've never purchased a wig in person while enfemme or in drab.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

My wig is the second female item I bought. I am lucky I live in a big city with shops of all kinds. There's even a whole area with lots of beauty shops (mostly african beauty shops).

The first shop I visited was tv/ts/drag-queen shop with a lot of colorful and extravagant accessories. The owner was very (gay) friendly but the wigs were quite cheap.
    Then I went to a second shop. It was specialized in wigs, just wigs, quality wigs. The lady was very helpful, I tried 1 or 2 wigs but they were expensive.
    I went to a third shop of the same kind, just across the street and here again the lady sounded very welcoming but I couldn't find any wigs I liked.
    Finally I went back to the first shop to buy my wig. The guy gave me lots of advices and we even talked about tv parties !

Recently I was in that neighborhood so I looked at all the wigs in the windows of the black beauty salons. I spotted one I like so I'm gonna go there and see how it goes... As usual I will follow my motto : expect the worse, hope for the best, and just be yourself, don't care too much about what others think, they may be jealous or frustrated and just want to get you down... Don't let them do !
    I've had SA laugh at me, I ignored them
    I've had SA tell me I was trying to pick up girls clothing, I said "yes I know, so what ?" and then she was the one feeling stupid and making excuses
    Most of the time though everything goes just fine

tam

Never had a problem with a wig store
    They are always happy to see us
    They are in the business of selling wigs
    I find that is the only place to buy them as they will
    be able to match you face with the correct style wig

Gimme a head with Hair! Long beautiful hair. Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen & waxen hair. Give me down to there! Hair! Shoulder length or longer. Here baby, there mama. Everywhere daddy daddy hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair. Flow it! Show it! Long as God can grow it. My hair!

Let it fly in the breeze. Get caught in the trees. Give a home to fleas. And a hive for the bees. A nest for birds, there ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my...HAIR! (Lyrics from 'Hair' by the Cowsils).

Flow it! Show it! Looong as I can Grow it. My HAIR!!!
    Last edited by Annaliese2010; 01-21-2012 at 02:14 AM.