Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable piercings?

Acceptable piercings?

I am really keen to get a piercing or 2 done. The trouble is that i can't decide what if anything to get done. I can't decide between getting my ear lobes pierced or my belly button or my ear cartalige (the top of my ear).
    I spend the majority of my time in drab so this has to be a consideration due to reactions from friends and family as not many people know i dress.
    Has anyone had any of these piercings done and what have reactions been like?
    My wife isn't too keen on me getting any at all but i'm hoping i can talk her round!
    Katie

Aspiring Member
    I have both earlobes pierced but never wear earrings in boy mode, the holes are so small nobody ever notices. I had them pierced when I was 20, I got the left pierced then the right a few weeks later. I got some grief at work when I first had them pierced, but they soon got bored. As soon as the holes healed, I took them out but only wear them when I dress now. Wouldn't mind getting the belly button pierced, it's kinda sexy

Cerebral Ninja
    just go ahead and Get both earlobes. I do. as a guy(about 95% of the time), I just have awesome looking "guy" earnings...even something gender-neutral like silver ball style is quite easy to pull off and doesn't draw a lot of attention.
    "Just follow your heart, that's what I do" - Napoleon Dynamite

@CourtneyGlenn91 - Twitter

Facebook

Depending on your work situation, I'd refer to the dress code. If ear piercings are fine, go for it. belle button piercings aren't visible under most dressed circumstances, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just follow care instructions and all should go smoothly.

Aspiring Member
    I have two holes for earrings in each lobe, sometimes wear a pair in boy mode but never two pairs. Oh, I take that back; evenings and weekends I wear two pairs whether in boy or girl mode. I teach at a Texas high school, whether the holes have studs in them or not they are quite visible to all the students and teachers alike. No one says anything. Go for it!

I have my lobes pierced and wear earrings all the time..I'm wearing black onyxlike with gold background stud type earrings now...Most of the comments I get are upbeat..and mostly from women...Men seem to ignore them...smooches Jackie (I have 3 other piercings that you may not want to know about,hehe)
    Jackie

Ears for sure. As has been said, nobody notices in guy mode. I will wear a small stud in one or the other ear in guy mode.
    Last edited by JessHaust; 01-24-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie83 View Post
    I am really keen to get a piercing or 2 done. The trouble is that i can't decide what if anything to get done. I can't decide between getting my ear lobes pierced or my belly button or my ear cartalige (the top of my ear).
    I spend the majority of my time in drab so this has to be a consideration due to reactions from friends and family as not many people know i dress.
    Has anyone had any of these piercings done and what have reactions been like?
    My wife isn't too keen on me getting any at all but i'm hoping i can talk her round!
    Katie
    It's 2012 - I think most people are pretty used to piercings these days so I wouldn't worry. Don't be concerned about what others think...excepting your wife, of course.

I had mine (including cartilage) done about 20 years ago and took only a little ribbing then.

I think ear piercing would be fine.. Alot of guys have pierced ears these days. Belly button peircing is ok as most people wouldnt be able to see it.. however I would just stick with ear peircing,
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Banned Read only
    Your nipples are also an option. When I had mine done the pain took me into a different universe. It was divine.

Julia

I currently have 4 holes in each ear lobe and a single Helix/Cartilage hole.

Standard [Lobe] piercings generally take 6-8 weeks to fully heal.

Helix/Cartilage piercings can take 8 to 12 weeks to fully heal.
    And should NOT be done with a "piercing gun" as damage may occur

All about Earrings

You need to keep something in the holes while they heal,
    but you can start swapping out earrings after about 2 weeks or so.

Belly piercings can take 6 months to 1 year to fully heal.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 01-24-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Earlobes first, as all have said, not a big deal. I have had both done for 20 years.
    Anything under clothing is fair game! Do what ever you like.
    I am 3 weeks into having my nape pierced and I LOVE it. It's hidden in collared men's shirts, but visible when I want it to be.
    I love the endorphine rush of piercings....with needles, not guns!

Banned Read only
    @ Marcy,

Needles are fantastic!! Delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by RachelOKC View Post
    It's 2012 - I think most people are pretty used to piercings these days so I wouldn't worry. Don't be concerned about what others think...excepting your wife, of course.

I had mine (including cartilage) done about 20 years ago and took only a little ribbing then.
    I know that the general public aren't interested, and i'm not bothered what they think anyway! My concerns are more about what family and extended family reactions will be.
    Katie

Platinum Member
    being averse to none therapuetic needles of any kind, I'd suggest clip on ear rings, but if you're more adventurous, go with the ears. Lots of men have pierced ears and no one has any issues with it these days.

Both ears are double pierced and I wear diamond studs in the uppers and 1/2" gold hoops in the lowers all the time. No one has ever made a negative comment. I've been asked why and my response is..."I've always wanted to". Enough said.
    I'm not big on the cartilage piercing as I understand that is very painful, and I have no interest in piercing my belly button.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Both lobes are pierced and wear a stud in drab all the time sometimes both. When I did it I was asked why, because I felt like it no problems.

I got both lobes pierced three years ago and have worn studs almost continuously. The only time I'll remove them is when I dress and wear my pretty earrings, in drab the studs go back in. I work in a hardware store and the studs aren't a problem with the store owner, co-workers, or customers.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by Julia_in_Pa View Post
    Your nipples are also an option. When I had mine done the pain took me into a different universe. It was divine.

Julia
    i'm with julia on this one...i just love my nips pierced. such a wonderful feeling. i do have both ears and cartilage pierced also, but just not quite the same feeling!!
    paula

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    No one worries about pierced ears anymore. I agee with the others on both nips though (quattros here) gives a new meaning to erogenous zones. Also have double APA. Had belly but kept rejecting
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you have no piercings now, start with the earlobes. They are so universal among women -- and acceptable on men -- that having them done will increase your passability. They also allow you to take advantage of all the lovely earrings that are available. If you still want to have other piercings after those are done, then go for it! (Nipples feel fantastic, nostril studs are dainty and feminine, additional ear piercings are showy ... do what you want!)

- Diane

both my earlobes are zero gauge, that's large enough to stick a #2 pencil though the hole, both nipples, navel & a prince albert....
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

I got mine done a week ago and had the same worries that you had. The response has been good most people don't care and the ones that do just ask why and I say becouse I wanted to why else would I do it. I had mine done at a piercing palor I think you have a better chose of studs. It takes about eight weeks to heal but I heard that it can take up to one year for the caratlige to heal. I wish I had done it years ago I can't wait to be able to put what ever I want in.

Yep in this day and age it not a big deal . Only person you need to worry about is your wife . I hardly ever even look at people ears I'm more of a eye person love to look at people eyes

I don't have any piercings myself, but earrings are perfectly acceptable, especially if it's a stud. Plenty of "macho" guys wear them, as well as people who are in the alternative crowd; emo, scene, goth, punk, etc. Many people in those subcultures have many piercings in their ears, stretched ears, etc. So you should be fine.

If you want to get your navel pierced, you should do it in the winter so that there is less of a chance that you will be going to warm beach environments where it will be convenient to go shirtless. And since navel piercings are surface piercings, there is a high chance of rejection if you don't clean them meticulously. Also, you won't be able to do heavy lifting for some time while your navel piercing heals, so you should keep that in mind if you are currently adhering to a kind of workout schedule.