Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are members of TG groups, and how has it helped you?

How many of you are members of TG groups, and how has it helped you?

I'm joining a TG support group soon. I have had email contact with them and I like what I'm hearing so far.

Have you outgrown them, or continue as a member?

Have you had a bad experience and left them?

Thanks, Marleena

Positive experience and still a member after 4 years. Chance to meet people and made lots of friends. Also helped with my confidence with going out.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I'm a member of a social group called Masquerade and attended a few meetings of a tg support group. The support group wasn't quite for me.

Platinum Member
    I'm a member of a transgender group in Houston, but honestly I haven't been very invovled because of my schedule. I do enjoy keeping up on local events and issues, but haven't participated in any meetings or events.

My wife and I have been members of Tri-Ess for the last 7 years or so and it has helped us in many ways.
    She has learned that we CD's are not "perverts"...we are not "weird". She has learned that we are just average people with an extraordinary aspect to our beings.

She has learned that this is not a choice we make, that it is not an addiction. It is who we are.

I have learned that I can relax and be myself without fear of ridicule. I have grown as a woman and have been able to develop my style, my personality and myself as a whole person.

I have learned that I have the confidence to be myself, to venture into the public eye and not fear reprisal and ridicule and that I can handle much more than I thought possible.

I have learned I can be me.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    My wife and I have been members of Tri-Ess for the last 7 years or so and it has helped us in many ways.
    She has learned that we CD's are not "perverts"...we are not "weird". --------
    She has learned that this is not a choice we make, that it is not an "addiction".---------------
    Thank you, Cheryl, for pointing out all the reasons why I am NOT welcome and have NOT tried to join our local Tri-Ess.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

None. None. None.
    Laura

Nope, but let us know.
    I've read a few posts about drama bombs though, but maybe that's only .01% of things.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    I'm joining a TG support group soon. I have had email contact with them and I like what I'm hearing so far.

Have you outgrown them, or continue as a member?

Have you had a bad experience and left them?

Thanks, Marleena
    I visit a number of Bay Area TG groups; some social and some support. I've definitely outgrown some groups and I've had bad experiences with others. Most have been adequate. Nothing is perfect but you make the best of it until it just doesn't meet your needs anymore.

One support group I stopped visiting was dysfunctional because it wasn't well moderated and was always the same people kvetching about the same things. Another was a social group that met at a coffee shop and only sucked because of a crappy physical layout. You couldn't stand and mingle, you couldn't easily change seats, and you couldn't talk to anyone that wasn't right next to you. One group I went to back in the 90's prohibited everyone who wasn't a hetero CD so we went off and started our own damn open group.

I don't like it when groups (especially social) are exclusionary on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identify, and manner of dress or expression. I'm not always going to understand someone else, but meeting and getting to know people who are different is probably the best way to change that. Of course, it's a double-edged sword since some groups *are* tightly focused, like my transgender parents support group. Visitors, including non-parents, are welcome but if people aren't there for the discussion about families and relationships then they're not going to be welcome for long. People need to use their own judgement about whether a group is right for them or not.

Anyhoo, give it a shot and see how you like it!

I've never been a member of a support group and don't plan to join when. Just me being me.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Just this one. Used to belong to another one as well but I never went to a meeting.
    joank
    Southern California

Smile Re: How many of you are members of TG groups, and how has it helped you?

Have attended Tri-Ess chapter meetings in the past. I felt that being a single male I was out of place and haven't attended for a while. I have attended CLCC http://clccmn.org on and off over the years. Have recently reconnected with CLCC and met some nice people.

I belong to a social group, with a mix of married CD's, Single CD's, Transitioning TG's , generally confused individuals and a few stragglers.
    We pretty much take anyone that does not cause trouble.
    We always have fun, and there is almost always 'talk' between ourselves.
    It's not strictly 'Support' but it sure has made a big difference to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a proud member of the River City Gems! I can't praise the group or its members highly enough for getting me out of the closet and comfortable in my own skin! I've made lots of friends and got to meet lots of wonderful girls on this forum through my connection with the Gems. Face-to-face interpersonal contact with other girls is an absolutely wonderful experience! As others have said, TG groups, like any groups are going to have people that you are really drawn to and others maybe not so much! That's life. I'll say in my experience, I haven't met anyone I didn't like.

Debby

I keep an eye on the River City Gems in Sacramento, but there are no local groups that I have been able to find. I don't attend River City Gems meetings because they are about 5 hours drive away from me. I sincerely wish I did have a local group, I would certainly want to attend.

Anna

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Lorree View Post
    I keep an eye on the River City Gems in Sacramento, but there are no local groups that I have been able to find. I don't attend River City Gems meetings because they are about 5 hours drive away from me. I sincerely wish I did have a local group, I would certainly want to attend.

Anna
    Hi Anna,

There are girls that travel into Sacramento for our events and stay in a hotel where we also occasionally have events. (Very friendly - I was locked out of my room while dressed once and it was no big deal.) If you are ever interested in the details, feel free to PM me or the group. We would love to have you attend!

Hugs,
    Debby

Really never even considered joining the local TG group. Just don't think I need any support or help...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

The meetup group I joined last year morphed into the one I'm a part of now and it's the main reason I've come somewhat out of the closet. It's been a really fabulous experience for me
    Oh, and most of are all of the get together's are in New Hope PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Really never even considered joining the local TG group. Just don't think I need any support or help...
    Karren,
    I don't know you but from your posts, you seem to be one of the most happy, well adjusted girls I have seen (ok read). You don't need to get support, you should give support. Shame you are not down in my nneck of the woods, you would be fun at our events.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JessHaust View Post
    Karren,
    I don't know you but from your posts, you seem to be one of the most happy, well adjusted girls I have seen (ok read). You don't need to get support, you should give support. Shame you are not down in my nneck of the woods, you would be fun at our events.

I wish I was more like Karren! I'm going to need support moving on though..

Thanks for all the replies so far.

TG support groups made me earn my wings by getting me out my front door. I've met lots of friends through them. It was the alternative to gender counselors. If you need a counselor, get one.
    Now I go everywhere. I'm just a girl in the world nowadays, what more do I need?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    I'm a member of a social group called Masquerade and attended a few meetings of a tg support group. The support group wasn't quite for me.
    The Princess is too modest: for years, 3/4 of Masquerade's social events were due to Chantal's initiative and planning!

The specific TG group that Chantal refers to wasn't for me either, at least as it was the last time I went to a meeting. It is now run by someone else and now has different members, so it might be a very different experience now. Back then, it was too much a gripe fest for me, closer to a group therapy session. (And, to be honest, it was obvious to me that my presence was disturbing some people whom I already knew did not like or trust me. They clearly needed to be at those meetings, and I didn't feel that same need, so I stayed away to give them their space.)

About the only inferences that should be drawn from this, are that (A) TG groups differ; and (B) sometimes "needy" or dysfunctional people are members of the group, if only because there isn't anything else for them.

I tend to lean more towards noted comedian Groucho Marx's point of view on this subject, who was once quoted as saying "I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Marleena,

I've heard, and do not know for sure, that some TG support groups have an agenda. So it might be worthwhile checking them out good before joining, just to make sure you are on the same page as they are. My only experience with groups, is with a crossdressing social group in Seattle; which isn't really a support group.
    Dana Ryan

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Like Debby, I also belong to the River City Gems in Sacramento and attend all of the events I am able to as I live in the Bay Area, but the drive up and interaction with all the members has been wonderful.