Thread: Another step in my journey

Another step in my journey

This is kinda new for me usually I just reply to threads. Today I went out as Vanessa and it was very scary and even more excilerating. Let me tell you about it.

I had been planning on going out as Vanessa for about three weeks. Every time I had an excuse to not go. You know- that outfit isn't right- not today maybe tommarow- I don't have the right look today. Anyway every and any excuse I made and never made it to the front door.
    Today was different. I needed some make up and was determined to go en femme. I woke up and took the kids to school. Came home got some breakfast and then hopped in the shower. Doubt started creeping in but I just ignored it. Got my outfit on and did my make-up (boy did I need some new). Got in the car and hyperventalated a bit but continued on. Got to Target and purchased new make-up. Of course I also stopped at the intimates clearance and now have a new bra and panty set. Maybe I was made but really didn't care. Most people just went on their way.
    I wanted to stop at my local Fasion Bug because it is going out of business and has had some very nice deals but they weren't open and I needed to get ready for work.
    Now that was very good for me but my day got even better.

After getting ready for work I did stop at FB. The clothes were 5 or more for $2 each. Very helpful SA. I never thought that I would be saying that. I made my selections and brought them to the register. SA asked about sizes and I said they are correct. Then the manager asked who were they for? Out of my mouth came "they are for me". Did not think I had that in me. Manager then asked "would you like a fitting room?" (now at this time I am in drab mode extreme-work uniform) to which I reply "no I am sure of the sizes". Manager-"what size do you normally wear?" Me-"18-22". Manager "they will be fine".
    All I can say is wow. Next time I am going into the fitting room and trying on things. I can go to Fasion Bug and be me.

Sorry about it being long but I have been dying to get this out. I am looking forward to going out again.

Vanessa, good story!

I have a story: when I went to Macy's en drab to try out a party dress, in was flat out refused/denied to enter the fitting rooms.

When I shop en femme, In get nothing but good and kind service. I've had no problems accessing the fitting rooms.

I don't even think I' m passable in the perfect sense, but it's weird to see SA,s not even flinch or notice.....they just smile. I don't get it but I like it. All I can say is It's nice being 5' 6" tall.

It never ceases to amaze me how a SA can ask who the clothes are for. Doesn't this strike anyone as a personal question? Why should it matter who the clothes are for.

... unless they do have experience with CDers buying clothes without trying them on and then returning them because they don't fit? Then it makes sense they'd want to encourage trying them on first so as to avoid the administrative expense of returns. And since they can't make assumptions, they ask men more than women who the clothes are for?
    Reine

Sounds like you had a good day Vanessa.

Look and sound like you know exactly what you are doing and you will be surprised how many people believe you and go with the flow.

Of course it is even easier if you do know what you are doing as well!

Vanessa, sounds like you had a wonderful day! I recently had a great experience at a Dress Barn.....I love the place...just wish the name was different!
    The SA was one that had served me several times before...and had even opened up an account for me. She was totally friendly and professional. The other day she greeted me warmly, said it was good to see me back, and then proceeded to help me find a few things. I had such an experience trying on several outfits in the dressing room, and was always treated with respect and warmth. Wonderful!
    Don't settle for less than that, Vanessa......We all deserve at least that......
    All my best....Dea

Yes and thank you all it was a very good day. One of the things I really enjoyed was the SA. I have been going in and looking for the past 8 weeks waiting for the great deals. On one of my shopping days (in this very same Fasion Bug) I was treated like I had the plague. The SA just threw my purchase in a bag. The one today neatly folded all the clothes and placed them nicely so as to not wrinlke (her words not mine). She even made small talk and I complimented her on her blouse. Had I not kept my head up high and continued to shop there I wouldn't have met her. I can say now, even with the one bad time, that I will continue to shop at FB, just have to find a new one (so sad).

I am also going to thank you all for all the support you give. I wouldn't have gone but I wanted something positive to write about and kept thinking of all the support and help everyone offers.

Platinum Member
    Hi Vanessa, Sounds like you came out with your head held high.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

What a great day! It takes a special kind of courage (or is it desparation) that finally allows us to go out that front door into the big world. So glad that your shopping trips were positive. Too bad that the Fashion Bug is going out of business...hopefully that Manager will find a position in another local store.

Will you make it back there to shop en femme before it closes for good?

Unfortunatly no. They close on Saturday and I can only dress during the day Mon-Thurs. It is alright though- all the clothes that are left are either way too small or way too big for me.