Thread: Who is more comfortable with me?

Gold Member

Who is more comfortable with me?

My daughter just moved back in. She is one that once I told her, it seemed she told all her friends. Since she last moved out, I have started spending a lot of time around the house dressed. No make-up or anything extra, just come home and put something on and a little bling.

So the other day I am sitting watching TV and she goes out the front door and then comes in with a guy and they go downstairs. So when I see her next, I asked her for the courtesy of letting me know when she is bringing someone in when I am dressed. No biggie. I don't necessarily like the shock value if someone doesn't expect it (including me!).

So tonight she comes and asks if her friend can come over and stay out in the garage and I tell her there is no reason he can't come in. After she walks away, my wife says that she will be glad when I don't worry about how I dress in front of others and just be myself no matter who is over. Hmmmm...

Well, I retire to the computer room and my wife comes in and says "Brandon will be in shortly to meet you". Niiicccee... Then she says she instigated it and not my daughter. So he comes in and I shake his hand and we talk. No discomfort for either of us. And the interesting thing is my daughter is the one now stammering and appearing nervous. So it appears the table turned just a little.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Sue, you are a calm and level-headed person. You also know that you're not doing anything wrong. Your quiet confidence went miles and miles in making everyone feel comfortable with you. Everyone will get there - in their own time.

Kathi

Golly, life sure is interesting. ....always curious to see it through others' eyes.....btw, what Kathi said.
    My dad & stepmom are going to find out about me in about a few hours, or a few days after I mailed them a copy of a Beatles CD, which I slipped in a picture of me. I want them to react without some "coming out" manifesto I wrote. I'll tell you all how it went shortly.

Sue, enough about me. As much as kids gossip, they are far more interested in their own affairs. Your tale will probably add spice to their shared experiences.....just saying.
    if I was a teen or twentysomething, I'd think you are as cool as sh**.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 02-01-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Great story Sue. It seems your wife is the most comfortable with you.

I think your daughter was more worried about what her friend would think. The tables were turned on her.

How old is your daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    ......my wife says that she will be glad when I don't worry about how I dress in front of others and just be myself no matter who is over. Hmmmm....
    Sue, you have a wonderful and very secure sweetie! (It probably has something to do with who you are, too!)
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

I think just the fact that she is bringing people around shows that your daughter is pretty much OK with it.

And I love hearing these sorts of tales, of real life experiences when this thing of ours is shared with our kids because it gives me hope that someday, not only might I disclose to mine but that they would also not bat an eye...like many of the children of parents in these pages.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    I had a very similar experience just before Christmas. My youngest stepdaughter knows about me and has spent time around me when I'm dressed (which is pretty near full time these days). Anyway, she came home for Christmas and invited one of her male friends over to exchange gifts. We were visiting on the patio when he showed up. He never registered any surprise at seeing me and our conversation went on as normal. Later, she apologized for not warning me that he was coming over, but she added that he was cool with it. And I reassured her that it was fine. No problem at all!

Banned Read only
    Maybe he's like you...don't "they" say girls marry their fathers?

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    if I was a teen or twentysomething, I'd think you are as cool as sh**.
    Thank you Nathalie!

This daughter is 20. I have two (the other is 27) and they are both okay with it and have been out with me. And I agree, kids these days just don't care. I think that bodes well for us. I believe a positive attitude goes a long way to being accepted and you add that to young people being more accepting in general, and it is a good mix for us.

I was at dinner tonight with my wife and other daughter and told her what happened. She looked at my wife and asked why she did it. My wife said she was tired of the hiding and just wanted it out. Guess we need to do some more talking!

Hi Sue, Great story, always glad you share!

Hell I'm not even a "teen or twentysomething", and think you are cool as sh**. Let us know how talking goes with the wife; I'm totally interested!!

God-speed!

you have a cool family. I wish my mom was like your wife.

Banned Read only
    One of the "blessings" of being an in-home crossdresser, who only dresses in privacy, is avoiding these issues. You have an understanding wife and kids, which is great. I view your wife as truly being tired to scurrying around trying to figure out if someone will be startled, object, view your family as bizarre, etc. If your circle of friends and family are accepting, then, you probably have enough people with whom to interact socially. The majority of us and spouses probably do not know what to expect if I/we showed up en femme even in our own homes, let alone go to a dinner party in a red floor length evening gown!

Sue it is great that you have such a great relationship with you daughters and good for your wife.

Sue, I love your wife's, daughter's, and Brandon's attitudes. Isn't life wonderful?

My kids friends all come over and know about me.... It is nice and all are accepting. Some of them even come here to hang out between classes because they cant stand to be in their own homes because their parents are so strict and nasty to them. We have 3 community college students hang outh here regularly and daily. Both my kids love being here too. I think it says alot. ( they are 17 and 21) Rachel

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
    Hell I'm not even a "teen or twentysomething", and think you are cool as sh**. Let us know how talking goes with the wife; I'm totally interested!!
    Thanks Natalee! The talking with my wife went well as always. One thing I have always done is communicate everything to her and that is what makes me say it so often on these boards. Being completely up front is the path in my book. So maybe I will chill more around my daughter's friends. Its not like they work with me or will be around next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22 View Post
    Sue, I love your wife's, daughter's, and Brandon's attitudes. Isn't life wonderful?
    Yes it is! I get a lot of family support and nothing can make life easier.