Thread: Educating the Public

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

Educating the Public

Had a good time this morning!

A Facebook friend is a Chicago TV personality. They were having an iVillage online discussion on raising genderless/transgender children (after all the fuss about the couple that was raising their child 'genderless'). She asked me to contribute, knowing my experience in the matter, and I agreed.

I started off with defining just what the term 'transgender' meant. They, of course, thought it immediately meant gender dysphoria. I let them know that it was an umbrella term encompassing so much more. We talked about how the media vilifies/glamorizes/ignores it - usually getting it wrong in the process.

We talked about the couple that was raising their son (yes, the cat's out of the bag), as a 'person' and not a boy or a girl, and how we would deal with that, and was it even right. Most thought that the parents were nuts for imposing their viewpoints on a child not able to formulate their own. I reminded them that we all did the same thing - religion, favorite foods, and even "No. Don't play with that, boys/girls play with . . ." Yes, we do it in what we feel is in the best interests of our children, but we still do the same thing to a degree.

Finally, the talk moved over to the "If you had a transgender child . . ." section. I could feel all of the (metaphorical) eyes on me as this question was asked. I assured them that this was a question that we all think of. I told them that although this life, this desire has brought me much joy and wonderful experiences in my life, that it has brought pain as well - not only to me, but my wife and family. I told them that as a parent, I would shield my children from all harm if I could. I would protect them from the bullying, teasing, and even bodily harm that can result from a life lived other than ordinary.

They followed up with "What if your son or daughter came to you and said, "Dad, I think I'm the wrong sex." Others chimed in with personal tales of nieces/nephews, friends' children, etc. - one saying that her nephew committed suicide. I let them know that that was a sad, but all-too-common occurrence. I told them that if my child came to me with that, that step 1 would be therapy to ensure they knew what they were talking about. A few of them chimed in, saying that step 1 should be love and acceptance. I told them that that was actually step 0.

A teacher said that one of her students claimed be a lesbian, but after time and therapy, they found that it was just attention-seeking behavior. She said that all of the students had rallied around her, which made her feel good, and once she had the attention, she seemed fine.

There were other questions on why I do it, what my wife thinks, did she question herself, thinking she had driven me to it (I said, "Are you kidding? She's a woman. Of COURSE she questioned herself!" followed by much laughter on their part).

I ended with thanking them for inviting me, saying, "Glad this old crossdresser could help."

Kathi

That couldn't have been any more cool!!! What a wonderful ambassador you are .
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Kathi- I love your ability to cut through the chaff, and get to the wheat. You do it eloquently, and calmly. Your children are so lucky to have you as a parent, and we as a community are so lucky to have you represent us. Bravo

Patty.

Thumbs up "Absolutely Superior job" at that, Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake ;2741802 Educating the Public
    Had a good time this morning....! I ended with thanking them for inviting me, saying, "Glad this old crossdresser could help."
    Kathi
    And an "Absolutely Superior job" at that, Kathi.

Well done,

L&R
    M.

Thumbs up "Absolutely Superior job," Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake Educating the Public View Post
    Had a good time this morning....! I ended with thanking them for inviting me, saying, "Glad this old crossdresser could help."
    Kathi
    And an "Absolutely Superior job" at that, Kathi.

Well done,

L&R
    M.

Great job Kathi! Changing perceptions of us is a tall task with us being stereotyped. I just read an article where a CD was murdered and most of the comments immediately called him a fag even though no reason was given for the crime.

It is better to light one candle. Every time someone educates another as to what we are all about it makes the world a better place. Thanks for being our beacon.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Gold Member
    Kathi, you did an absolutely wonderful job. Kudos to you gf.

Thanks for putting yourself out there for the benefit of all of US!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    That couldn't have been any more cool!!! What a wonderful ambassador you are .
    Awwww! Thanks for all the kind words. Honestly though - you would jump at the chance to do this as well, wouldn't all of you?

Quote Originally Posted by pattyv View Post
    Kathi- I love your ability to cut through the chaff, . . .
    Well, it was a Twitter conversation thread. At 140 characters, you kind of have to be brief! (a supremely difficult task for me, I might add)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    . . . most of the comments immediately called him a fag . . .
    Isn't it amazing how by simply putting on the clothes of the opposite sex, we're immediately stereotyped as homosexuals and/or pedophiles? For the life of me, I just don't get this!

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 02-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Well done Kathi, we are all in your debt.

Kathi,
    Great job. We need more people like you as well as more opportunities like you had. Again, thanks for taking the time.

BTW, as usual, your avitar picture looks great and, had it been a skype discussion, I suspect your looks would have had them question your being a TGd person.

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Well done Kathy. Yes I would jump at the chance but I couldn't be a eloquent as you. Glad it was you.

AnitaH
    I am becoming a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, I am ready to spread my wings, I have found my voice again for I am holding my head high and I am taking my power back.

“It is never too late to become what you might have been.” ~ George Eliot

HTTP://anitafog.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/anitah.fog

Gold Member
    Thank you for doing it Kathi. I am a firm believer that education is the key to our future. People aren't used to us so when we get treated oddly (as opposed to rudely), it can simply be that the person doesn't know better. And you were getting into much deeper issues it sounds. But instead of getting mad or getting defensive, educating people will help us far more in the long run.

Good work! You aren't too bad for an old crossdresser.

I have to agree with vanessa, Kathi, thank you girl for being a voice to speak the truth. Not all us have what you have to get up a speak about CDing.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

The first time that my next door neighbor saw me enfemme he called me a spiritual fag whatever that mean. keep up the great work Kathi.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I am a firm believer that education is the key to our future.
    It totally, totally is! As we know, the media certainly isn't in our corner. Why? Because boring heterosexual crossdressers just aren't newsworthy. Where's the angst? Where's the pathos? Where's the ratings-lifting sleaze? If we are ever to be able to hold our heads high, we first have to, well, . . . hold our heads high. We have to educate ourselves. Accept ourselves. Love ourselves. The rest will happen as others see this in us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Storrs View Post
    You aren't too bad for an old crossdresser.
    Well, I do try!

Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    . . . called me a spiritual fag whatever that means.
    Allow me to translate, "God, you look good!"

Kathi

Very nice to see others educating the public. Great job Kathi. You are a valued member of society and thank you for helping others understand the world we live in.

It’s all been said Kathi.
    I just wanted to add my ‘well done’

Hugs,

SUZY

i totally agree with the education part, if everyone knew what we actually were and they werent scared we would defile their children, ( we take good care of our children) and we are not freaks, maybe the world would be different for us. Almost no one will give it a chance, when women wear anything its ok, when men wear a dress we are perverts, no one stops to think how we feel inside, no one wants to because they cant see past we are freaks, we are not given a chance to show, we are decent, intelligent, professional people who want to wear the clothes we are comfortable in, its not a game of dress up for us , well sometimes dressup is a game, lol costumes etc, but thats still not WHO we are. everyone thinks we CHOSE to be like we are, most think we can just put it away and most think its optional, for me its not optional, i cant turn it off and on, its who i am. sorry to ramble .

you did a great job helping educate

Karen, rambling usually means going nowhere, but you hit all the points perfectly. When the public can stop confusing us with people we have no business being associated with, things will change. Until that time, get out there and show them that we are the nice, normal people we are.

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    The first time that my next door neighbor saw me enfemme he called me a spiritual fag whatever that means
    He sounds like another hater Arlene! Obviously he hasn't taken time to know you because you're one of the nicest people on here. The majority of the people on this board are the most caring and fun people I've ever met. Kathi did us a great service explaining that we are just like everybody else in all other respects.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Good work Kathi. Not just for the information you were able to pass along but for doing it in blocks of 140 characters or less! Wow! I'm very impressed!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    We all thank you Kathi! What a wonderful thing you did that day!!!

Tina