Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of pretending

Tired of pretending

Do you ever get tired of pretending that you are something that you are not? I feel like half of my life is spent trying to be a person that I usually am not. I don't mean fully transitioning I just wish often that my CDing did not have to be so secret. I recently had a house guest and I found that it was a huge stress to hide my clothes and not wear my normal pajamas because it would not be ok. Has anyone else had such an issue that when they really want to be femme they couldn't because they had to hide what they really felt from another? How do you handle that? I always wonder why it is that we have to hide in the closet. It seems that Xders have the hardest time even in todays more accepting climate.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

I have the same problems. My girlfriend is living with me for a couple months and it's nearly impossible to dress while she's here. She obviously doesn't know about it, and I can only dress up for a couple hours here and there when she works on the rare days I don't. Then it's always a rush to get all the makeup off and everything packed away before she gets back. Boo.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I think that we all have similar problems with house guests. I always have my toes painted and quite often will wear either a dress or fem clothes around the house. Then all of a sudden we have a house guest for a few days, I have to be careful walking to the bathroom in my nighty or showing my toes.

I get by, but I'm usually glad to get back to a normal routine.
    Dana Ryan

I wish it was so simple as being cautious when walking to the restroom. My SO didnt want to take any chances it was a boxers and t-shirt weekend just to be sure. I would like to know if anyone out there has just bit the bullet and outed themselves so that they could be comfortable at home. It's worth mentioning that my SO outed me this summer to several of our good friends accidentally of course.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

Cerebral Ninja
    This is an issue that has led me to have pretty severe depression. luckily, my head is in a good place and I'm pretty open about my CDing. I even wear Black polish and eyeliner to work. co-workers just think I'm goth or metro-sexual. keep your head up, we're all in this together.
    "Just follow your heart, that's what I do" - Napoleon Dynamite

@CourtneyGlenn91 - Twitter

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Delila View Post
    Do you ever get tired of pretending that you are something that you are not?
    Yes I felt that way my whole life. Until I started to transition that is.
    I'm feeling much better now that he is pretty much out of my life.
    It's sort of like getting a divorce and getting to keep all his stuff
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Krista, I just read your post, your are young, you have a girlfriend that trusts you. Don't destroy the trust, don't hide who you truly are from here. Love her enough to be honest with her. She deserves that much. Let her know who your really are, and let her make an informed decision about the relationship. My husband told me of this many years into the marriage and let me tell you so much is destroyed. Put yourself in her position. Would you appreciate this deceit from her. Take this as suggestion as constructive, you both deserve a happy, honest place in life

Do you ever get tired of pretending that you are something that you are not?
    Welcome to the world of being a girl. Most women I've had relationships with had to get up extra early every day, pluck, touch up legs, put on make up, fix their hair (and that one was usually the killer; some took as long as an hour to straighten or curl their hair every-single-day), and basically dress up in a way that they usually wouldn't on their days off. We usually just take a quick shower, get dressed and go, with little attention paid to what we wear, other than maybe which tie to wear. Sure, some guys are finicky, but for the most part, we've got it pretty easy compared to the girls.
    It's just something I keep in mind whenever I get tired of acting the part of a standard issue guy.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Good Lord, yes, in the past before coming out. That femme urge makes no exceptions because of your surroundings/circumstances. When the urge wants to show it's face, it does so with no consideration for you.
    How did I handle that? I came out of the closet. Simple; there's no need to wonder. If you don't want to 'hide' in the closet, don't hide in the closet. Many are quite happy keeping their gender expressions at home, many are not. Those who are should continue that way, those not happy should come out.

I know how you feel...I was hiding "my dirty little secret" for most of my life. There is no way my family will ever take it good. They are really prejudice about everything. I am actually surprised that I didn't turn out that way. Guess I have a brain. lol. I hid it from my wife for 9 years. Then I finally just broke down and told her how I felt. It has been such a relief to know that I can do pretty much what I want without having to hide anything. No more packing away my things or borrowing hers to realize that most things are built for her not me. Ugh. Anyways, After I told her she told me she suspected it anyways. I didn't tell her soon though because I didn't want to hurt her and I was afraid of the way she would react. My situation is different of course but I was just relieved to be able to talk to one person about how I feel. That alone has worked wonders for me. It has also helped my relationship with my wife because now there are no secrets and it actually has brought us closer. We openly talk about things (good or bad) and work through them together now. I would advise you to tell your SO as soon as possible. If she is not ok with it, it will be devastating I know. However, you would not have dragged someone into a relationship that is filled with secrecy. I made the decision to tell and my only regret is that I waited. Even if I had lost her at least I would have been honest in the beginning.
    Allison Kat

Live Life by Sharing Your Life..

Yes I am a princess. At least that's what they call me. lol

It's all really part of a larger plan Hon. Those who "get it" move on and embrace the feelings and dichotomy to become full spectrum people. Then it only becomes a matter of choice as to how we present and how we feel.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

As far as "big plan"... I make my own plans! Lol. For me its not pretending.... And if it is I don't get tired of it. Or haven't yet. It is what it is... It's just clothing after all and when its appropriate to wear one type vs another. Doesn't mater what gender you are or what you present there's going to be limitations to what you can and can't wear. A balance between what you want and what you have to do... That's life... Deal with it....
    God I sound deep! Shoot me.... Hahaha.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Of course I do. Althugh I dress full time at home, there are people and situations where I don't dress. And durint those times I feel that I'm presenting a false front. But this false front enables me to enjoy the other 90% of my time as I wish...so I can't complain.I handle it by keeping that in perspective.

As for why - for me, I choose who I share this part of me with, and its getting to be a fairly large group. I choose to go out in public, without worrying about those disapproving. Its a balance, still, but its not hard, really. Its a matter of finding a balance that works for you.

It's worth mentioning that my SO outed me this summer to several of our good friends accidentally of course.
    Sounds like another story to be told Probably because I am a curious girl lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I am not able to pretend because I have learned to do so causes me emotional harm. There must be reasons to live and the reasons are different for each person but for everybody they must answer the question from moment to moment "why should I continue living" because otherwise you are dying.

I give meaning to my life by having discovered what feeds my soul, music,nature,good food,art, hobbies like glass blowing and sailing but most importantly along with my spirituality is the discovery of a way to create harmony in my mind by creating my feminine image.

When this is your identity and you do not express it you live as a stranger to yourself with all the pain of anger,depression,despair,frustration,confusion that go with it, to pretend would be a slow death. For me relationships must come second concerning my relationship with myself otherwise I know I will look back on my life at the end and see it wasted by my own fear of taking the risk to be me, to discover me.

What kind of friend can I be to others if I'm a poor friend to myself and if I'm not myself who are my friends having a relationship with because than I'm nothing but a shadow with no substance. The more truthfully we live the more real we become and this opens the door to not only being known by others but knowing ourselves but this comes with the cost of rejection and sometimes loneliness. Two experiences we must become comfortable with if we hope to evolve into ourselves.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    So far there's never been an ounce of pretending. I have a guy side and a girl side and they both are very real! I do wish I could have more time to understand my girl side, but I think I can continue to be patient. Life is complex and I'm sure that when the possibility become available she will take total advantage of it! Life is extremely full!!!

tina

Banned Read only
    Being outed to an unexpecting house guest may induce a lot of stress for your guest and yourself. Being 'accidentally' outed to somebody who is not going to view your en femme personna is not the same as strutting into the living room or picnic in a flowing sun dress and high heels.

I wish it was so simple as being cautious when walking to the restroom. My SO didnt want to take any chances it was a boxers and t-shirt weekend just to be sure. I would like to know if anyone out there has just bit the bullet and outed themselves so that they could be comfortable at home. It's worth mentioning that my SO outed me this summer to several of our good friends accidentally of course.

I don't pretend to be someone I am not. I am who I am and that is it. But I hate hiding part of me away from general sight. Recently this has got to me more and more but I am looking objectively at it and looking for ways where I can express parts of me without it being overtly obvious.

Thankfully my wife knows what I do and accepts it - but openly admits she does not understand. But like you when people are round I have go to full male mode which can be annoying. I have recently told my brother and sister-in-law what I do and as they are the most frequent visitors this should make like a little easier for me as well.

Sadly ours is a world of smoke and mirrors which we hide behind. While we are all waiting to come out of the shadows. The world has not sat down to listen to what we have to say yet.

K

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Of course I do. Althugh I dress full time at home, there are people and situations where I don't dress. And durint those times I feel that I'm presenting a false front. But this false front enables me to enjoy the other 90% of my time as I wish...so I can't complain.I handle it by keeping that in perspective.

As for why - for me, I choose who I share this part of me with, and its getting to be a fairly large group. I choose to go out in public, without worrying about those disapproving. Its a balance, still, but its not hard, really. Its a matter of finding a balance that works for you.
    Yea thats about what I do . Not full on male mode like running and putting on pants an boots ,, Maybe if I have on shorts an no shirt just put on some crocs, But im clean shaven an have long girly hair , But not putt it in there face but not cover up like a nut ,, Cuz here is the deal your in my house an supposed to be a friend or relative so dont make assumpions but you hit the nail on the head im with you 100% . .
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

There is the hiding and the fear of discovery. I have been afraid that my dressing could cause embarrassment for my kids. Now two of three are in college and I am feeling that is now my time after waiting for so long

Quote Originally Posted by KristaCD_FL View Post
    She obviously doesn't know about it
    This says it all right here, if no one knows then how do you know what their reaction will be? Aren't you assuming something based on fear? When in the course of history has that ever ended well?

to answer the OPs question though YES I have felt the what you describe, I lived in fear denial and self loathing for years even after a brief period of "coming out" to my wife as a "CD". the problem was I wasn't a CD so my internal need was not fulfilled by playing dress up in my room and sneaking around behind peoples backs. It nearly killed me, thank god I don't have to live that way anymore. I reached a breaking point and had no choice but to say screw it I don't care anymore what people think. Guess what most people couldn't care less. Loved ones are tough but no one has shunned me and at this point if they did i'd say farewell.

Quote Originally Posted by CINDYO View Post
    Krista, I just read your post, your are young, you have a girlfriend that trusts you. Don't destroy the trust, don't hide who you truly are from here. Love her enough to be honest with her. She deserves that much. Let her know who your really are, and let her make an informed decision about the relationship. My husband told me of this many years into the marriage and let me tell you so much is destroyed. Put yourself in her position. Would you appreciate this deceit from her. Take this as suggestion as constructive, you both deserve a happy, honest place in life
    As a TG person who hid this entire side of myself from my wife for 14 years, I certainly have to agree with CINDYO. Be honest at the start, it will make things better later.

Anna

I used to pretend. I was pretty good at it too. In most cases now though, I will not hide it anymore. Funny how all the worries I had about "what others would think" didn't come true. Somehow, it is just more relaxing o be who you are. But I understand because there are some people in my life I just cannot tell. It isn't them, because in truth I have no idea how they will react, but more me. For years I thought I was the one driving and now I find out I am just a passenger on this ride. But one thing I do know, life is too short to stress out too much, and that makes it even shorter. Pajamas? I sleep in the nude, my guests would prefer I wore feminine pajamas
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    The judgement you have to make is just who are the important people in your life that you want totally. those people deserve your honesty. There are others who have no need to know. Be honest. If your girlfriend is important to you she needs to know. If her presence cramps your style, and you feel it, she will pick up on it, and it will affect your relationship.

Be honest.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I am also tired of living a lie and if not for my spouse I would not care who knew ,as others have said life is to short .
    There are times that the depression ,because of not being able to be who I am ,is almost overwelming .
    I realy don`t think that most would care what I wear as long as I don`t force it on them