Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did Wellbutrin stop my dressing?

im On Wellbutrin and i love it, my sex drive is back to normal after suffering severely from the depression and the depression is way more manageable. Wellbutrin is known to to be helpful for people who are suffering sexual dysfunction as a side effect of SSRIs. It makes sense because this drug is a chemical cousin of amphetamine which can make anyone frisky!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Interestingly, it was while I was on Wellbutrin (due to pretty hefty depression) that I realized that was a cross-dresser. I would not say that in itself it made me more or less likely to cross-dress, but it helped me to process that my "trying things on" had a reason, and gave me the freedom and confidence to act on my realization.
    What you describe may well be the drug taking the depression mask off your psyche and letting you feel things again. That's one effect of A-D drugs, and it can be like clouds clearing after weeks of rain or fog.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    A little-known fact about Wellbutrin is that it is one of the few known true aphrodisiac drugs. It was never intended or marketed as such at all, but there was a standard trial study for anti-depressant purposes, and at the end of the study almost all of the women asked to be permitted to stay on it because there had been notable increases in their sexual desire.
    I've taken Wellbutrin (generic: Bupropion) for more than a decade, and the libido energizing is for real, quite noticeable. Not nympho-grade meds, but nice just the same. I've also heard that the effect is more pronounced with women than men. Maybe that's why it works for me?

It's worth noting that Well/Bupro is a completely different drug than SSRIs like Prozac, which had the opposite effect, the notorious "sexual side effects" from the lawyer-drafted advertising, and how absurd that there was controversy about the aphrodisiac properties. As if Rx drugs should always be neutral or depressive of one of our most human fundamentals. The Puritans are ever vigilant. Here's a good summary of the drug's history:

http://www.bupropion.com/wonderwell/index.html

As for diminishing the desire to crossdress (the OP's question), I think that would depend on how tangled up one's crossdressing is with one's sexuality. A person who was asexually depressed (decreased or absent libido is a common depression symptom), for example, might be filling the void with CD as an artificial sexual stimulus. If the depression is successfully treated, that might allow the subject to replace CD-induced arousal with something more normal, and thus experience a diminished desire to CD.

On the other hand, if one had depression-induced low libido and CD was an integral part of the subject's sexuality, depressed or not, Bupro might stimulate the whole picture...

As noted quite a few times, Wellbutrin rarely causes sexual dysfunction. The commonly prescribed anti-depressants like Prozac, Zoloft, etc. are SSRIs. This means basically that the drug inhibits the reuptake of neurotransmitter serotonin.

Wellbutrin, on the other hand, is an atypical antidepressant (an NDRI) that works on the reuptake of neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. SSRIs are known to cause sexual dysfunction through their action, and NDRIs are not.

HOWEVER, in treating holistically/the individual, we know that Wellbutrin does not cause sexual dysfunction in the average population...but, this does not mean that it would not cause sexual dysfunction for YOU. There ARE studies that have shown that Wellbutrin can cause erectile dysfunction and impotence in some patients. So, just because the "average population" might not have this side effect, it doesn't mean that YOU won't have this side effect.

I encourage you to report all side effects to your prescriber. This should go without saying, but what you tell your medical providers is confidential information. If you feel the need to discuss its effects on your CDing or your sexual health...DO IT. It's your right as the patient. If you just don't feel comfortable, I still encourage you to report on the side effect of your libido.

A factor to consider is that Wellbutrin does not start working with one pill. It takes a while for it to build up to therapeutic levels in your blood stream. This could be up to 4 weeks. (Again, it depends on the INDIVIDUAL as to WHEN it will reach therapeutic levels...YOU are not an average population). So, I would recognize that depression can take a major toll on your sexual appetite...and, if you haven't been on an NDRI for very long, you may still be clinically depressed. This could also explain your loss of interest in CDing and low libido.

So, the important thing here is to continue taking your medication. If you haven't been on the medication for very long, the sexual dysfunction may be a biproduct of the fact your depression has yet to be treated. In this case, I would continue taking the medication and see if this problem continues. If, however, you have been on this medication for a few weeks and want you sex drive back...I would advise contacting your prescriber. NDRIs are LESS likely to cause sexual side effects, but there are documented cases in patients where they HAVE caused erectile dysfunction and impotence.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 02-12-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Some antidepressants can decrease the sex drive but I have no idea about decreasing the desire to CD or not. There could be a direct correlation. That is a great question and I would ask my doctor. Wellbutrin is also supposed to decrease the desire for cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by WsprsOnTheWind View Post
    I would ask my doctor.
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

No one on this forum has access to your medical history to make clinical decisions...but, your prescriber does. You have every right to call up your prescriber or pharmacist and ask these questions. In fact, it is MUCH BETTER than relying on WebMD/whatever variant everyone is using or crossdressers.com
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

I take 400MG of time release Bupropion since 2005. 200 in the morning and 200 in the evening. The Bupropion has not slowed my cross dressing down and I have been taking estradol 1MG since last Oct but have taken a break this month. I also take Terazosin 0.4MG and Finasteride 5MG since 2005.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Er... No. While lots of drugs have side effects, there -is- a medical, scientific community that do research on these drugs, are very critical (such is the nature of science) and thorough. Yes, drugs companies are trying to make money - but doctors are trained to diagnose and cure, not add to anyone's burden. Meds prescribed by doctors, and made by drugs companies aren't the problem - it's the "alternative" medicine crowd with their herbs, spices and vitamins that DON'T have tests done on them (real medication does) that are the problem.
    While you are right that the "alternative" meds are not regulated at all, I am afraid that you are laboring under a dangerous fantasy with your assumption prescription meds are regulated by anyone other than the drug companies themselves. Do some research on this. Sorry dear.

S

I have been on several anti depressant meds over the last few years and none have diminished my desire for dressing. In fact, they did nothing..didn't help with the deppression,,nothing. My dressing has helped with my depression however. I feel more complete when dressed. I also have an insomnia problem that they have tried to solve. serequell is like an overdose of caffiene for me..ambien works somewhat , but my ins won't cover it..
    Anyway, what I was trying to say is that I really don't thing drugs, (medication) will either diminish or enhance your crossdressing. Its a personal thing. Just be who you are, and dress how you want.

We were all born naked, I doubt that God really cares what clothes you wear...

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benita05 View Post
    Crossdressing is IMHO in most cases just another Obsessive Compulsive behavior. It's benign so I don't worry about.

Benita
    With respect, this is an out-of-the-blue dismissal of a phenomenon that has very little in common with OCD. I had an exchange a few months back with someone who objected to my use of the term "compulsive" to describe the urge to CD, making the point I just made about CD and OCD; and I agree. That the word is used both generically (meaning being driven, compelled, to a behavior, as opposed to merely choosing or preferring it) and as part of the label of OCD (typical manifestation: obsessive handwashing or germ-phobia, ala television's Monk) doesn't equate the two uses of the word.

It is indeed inherently benign, but it's not OCD.
    Last edited by Acastina; 02-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benita05 View Post
    Crossdressing is IMHO in most cases just another Obsessive Compulsive behavior. It's benign so I don't worry about.
    So far, the psychiatric community has been unable to treat crossdressing successfully by using any known OCD methods (and oh, have they tried! The pharmaceutical company that develops a med to treat it will see their stock skyrocket). Perhaps it works on a fraction for those who's dysfunction originates in OCD, but if it doesn't, you're probably out of luck (BTW it didn't change anything at all for me. But for others, it may be worth a shot if you want to quit).
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

For years my doctor had been trying to convince me to stop smoking. In 2004 he told me studies had found that Wellbutrin helps people kick the nicotine habit so I tired it and much to my suprize after taking it for 2 weeks before starting to cut down then completely stop it worked very well. Most all of the pills on the market today to stop smoking contain the same thing as Wellbutrin.

My desire to crossdress did not deminish at all druing the 3 monts I was taking it. My sexual desire also did not increase or deminish although I do remember that orgasms were much harder to achive.

Quote Originally Posted by kendra_gurl View Post
    In 2004 he told me studies had found that Wellbutrin helps people kick the nicotine habit so I tired it and much to my suprize after taking it for 2 weeks before starting to cut down then completely stop it worked very well
    After taking Bupropion since early 2005, I still smoke. Every one is different.
    Last edited by Mary Lee; 02-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    With respect, this is an out-of-the-blue dismissal of a phenomenon that has very little in common with OCD. I had an exchange a few months back with someone who objected to my use of the term "compulsive" to describe the urge to CD, making the point I just have about CD and OCD; and I agree. That the word is used both generically (meaning being driven, compelled, to a behavior, as opposed to merely choosing or preferring it) and as part of the label of OCD (typical manifestation, obsessive handwashing or germ-phobia, ala television's Monk) doesn't equate the two uses.

It is indeed inherently benign, but it's not OCD.
    Please read DSM - IV sec 302.3. I do not totally agree with all of it but that is what is written.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee View Post
    Please read DSM - IV sec 302.3. I do not totally agree with all of it but that is what is written.
    "302.3 Transvestic Fetishism

DSM-IV

Transvestic Fetishism

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, in a heterosexual male, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving cross-dressing.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Specify if:

With Gender Dysphoria: if the person has persistent discomfort with gender role or identity"

I don't see anything there that is germane to the uses of the term "compulsive".

The DSM isn't really intended to be used by the general public in lieu of therapy/autodiagnosing. It's kind of more of a reference guide for people that are trained to use it.

If you feel that your crossdressing is linked to both obsessive and compulsive behaviors, it doesn't necessarily equal OCD.

Aspiring Member
    insomnia problem that they have tried to solve. serequell is like an overdose of caffiene for me..ambien works somewhat , but my ins won't cover it..

I used to be a very light sleeper and about 4 months ago I got a sleep mask and I can say that it works wonders. The eyelids are translucent and just a bit of light comes through and it is enough to keep a person awake, but the mask does cut it out entirely. I highly recommend one.