Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Height Issues

Height Issues

When I'm out and about among the unwashed masses my voice is my number one concern, but that's relatively easy to hide, (just stay quiet!). The one thing that's always with me is my height (6' 2" in stockinged feet, 6' 6" or more in heels).

It draws attention to me, which usually allows people to notice other things that "may not quite be right". Not a problem in the clubs, but it is in the mall!

How do you other tall girls deal with it? Or is it even an issue?

Platinum Member
    Is it an issue? Well, sure. I'm the same height as you and then there's things like some latent maleness in my gait, masculine facial features, big hands, shoulders...gosh it goes on and on. Most of the time, I'm the tallest person in the room - but, does it matter? Really, I don't think so. I don't go out with the objective of passing, but rather with the expectation that I will be read, repeatedly. But I also go out with the hope that if I'm read, I'll present myself, as I am, with dignity and good humor. Usually, that does the trick. Yes, I try to look my best, to dress in a manner that is consisten with the women around me and as flattering as possible, but I try to have realistic expectations for myself and others.

I'm only 6'0' tall in bare feet, but that is still taller than about 95% of all genetic women. My solution is to do what tall genetic girls do, which is not call attention to myself by wearing heels in places which are illuminated well. My experience is similar to what you infer, which is that if I call attention to myself then I invite scrutiny of all the little details which "may not be quite right." In the malls I wear flats, sandals, or sneakers. In the trendier clubs, most of the genetic girls are also wearing heels, and it isn't a problem to be six foot three when there are many genetic females who are five-eleven to six-two hanging around. (And, I still haven't figured out how they can dance in five inch heels!) I've also discovered that having one tallish masculine looking male as "arm candy" works wonders, and two or more is even better. :-)

Easy. Just go to the ACC women's basketball playoffs. Sorry. Just could not resist. I hit 6 plus whatever the heel height is.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by StarrOfDelite View Post
    ......I've also discovered that having one tallish masculine looking male as "arm candy" works wonders, and two or more is even better. :-)
    Best suggestion ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by StarrOfDelite View Post
    I'm only 6'0' tall in bare feet, but that is still taller than about 95% of all genetic women.

I've also discovered that having one tallish masculine looking male as "arm candy" works wonders
    Actually your taller than 98% of North American woman (you would be off the charts in other parts of the world!). The only reason I know this is because I'm 6' as well

My boyfriend is 6'3" and just plain big, well bigger than me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    Actually your taller than 98% of North American woman (you would be off the charts in other parts of the world!). The only reason I know this is because I'm 6' as well
    6 feet tall is taller than 98% of North American women, huh? Oh, that is just great to know. I hadn't heard that statistic before. I am 6 foot 4. So where does that put me? Sigh.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    But I also go out with the hope that if I'm read, I'll present myself, as I am, with dignity and good humor.
    Kim that is some of the best advice on this forum. Besides confidence helps you blend in more than looking the part perfectly. I am 5'11". I wear flats unless the occasion calls for heels. Maybe I am the odd girl out, but I like being tall. Most GGs would kill to have our legs.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

I guess I am the odd one out here. I am not tall.. About 5'6" in reg shoes.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    6 feet tall is taller than 98% of North American women, huh? Oh, that is just great to know. I hadn't heard that statistic before. I am 6 foot 4. So where does that put me? Sigh.

that puts you in the top 10% of Sasquatches in NA.

I know that for me, I enjoy a tall lady (GG or otherwise). As far as my family goes, I'm the shortest GM at 6'0"; one cousin is 6'6", and I have two female cousins who are 6'0". That covers both sides of the family. (How did I end end up so short? Might be smoking at age 14 stunting my growth- I need my own PSA).

Hang out in Chinatown. Height is a coveted attribute for women.
    Silk and Steel

Not a issue. I'm 6 feet tall and love wearing 5 inch stilettos all the time. I have seen many tall beautiful women. I feel sexy and love walking in heels way to much to worry about it.

I got IT ,,,,, I got IT ,,,,,, Do what I do ,,, When ya go out like a BIG store yall know what I meen,, An you can wear your BEST most KILLER HEELS an PLATFORMS an NEVER be read ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NEVER,,,,,,,,,,, Get one of those little rascal carts an ride on it an they cant see how tall ya are ,,, An you can shop an shop ,, An no one will say nothing to ya ,, An if they look to hard just drop your head an they cant see your face unless thay get on there knees, An whan ya talk just act like ya have larengitis an talk real slow ,,, So get dressed an grab ya a motorized scooter an GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Outa my way BI":"":H ,,,,,, Lady with a medical problem comeing threw !!!!!!!!!!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Platinum Member

Don't sweat your height. At any given moment youmay be the tallest woman in the room, but if you go to Norway or the Netherlands, you'll just be of average hieght.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Aha! Yet ANOTHER reason NOT to go out in vanilla public dressed!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'm another tall girl. The research I did on the topic indicates that, at 6'2", I'm at the 95th percentile for males and the 99th percentile for females in the US. Now, that sounds grim, but the fact is that 1% of the GGs out there are my height or taller, and even some of those GGs who are a couple of inches shorter end up taller than I am through the magic of heels. That means that women of my height aren't all that unusual. I see them all the time.

Another fact is that folks tend to judge height by their own stature. I draw little notice from anyone under 5'10". To them, I'm just "tall" without defining the state further. The people who really look at me are those near my height, particularly tall GGs. The exchange upon seeing each other is predictable, they look at me, glance down at my feet to see if I'm wearing heels, then back up at my face. I smile and they smile back. Of course, I'm doing exactly the same thing to them!

I really don't mind wearing flats most of the time. I have some cute ones and would just as soon not cause myself pain. All the desire I have to wear heels is satisfied around the house and occasionally to CD events, the only place where I can wear 4" heels and not be the tallest lady in the room! One evening of that and I'm happy to come back down to earth!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Being tall and appearing to be a female will draw attention. If you are wearing a short skirt, high heels, and a top that's satin, tight, or just shows a nice figure, then you will get even more attention.

When I go out, I'm usually wearing 2-3 inch heels, I wear short skirts, and I wear a wig that complements my face. With proper make-up, I still look like I'm in my late 40s, so I WILL be noticed.

In New York City, very attractive women discourage extended examination by avoiding direct eye contact, not smiling at people, and not changing their stride. This allows them to walk quickly through a crowd without being accosted by dozens of men who might find her attractive, but also realize that she is not interested in stopping to have a conversation. Of course, once they are at their destination, and they feel safe, almost any compliment will have them light up and friendly quite quickly.

The key is to be situation appropriate. Wearing a little black dress to a club or a charity fund raiser - totally appropriate, and you are likely to be celebrated, even if you are read, as long as you are willing to create a non-threatening interaction with those who read you as soon as they do. When I realize I've been read, I open my eyes really big, and given them a really big smile, and a nod, to say "yep, that's right, I'm not the girl of your dreams". Ironically, this creates safety, because those who are threatened have confirmation and can avoid you, and those who are curious or interested, or want to know more about you, will feel more comfortable approaching you.

Wearing the little black dress to the shopping mall would not be situation appropriate, unless you have a badge that says you work at one of the stores. Shoppers in a mall typically dress for comfort, and even GGs who are "over-dressed" would be scrutinized, possibly even followed. Girls would start giggling, because they are aware of how pretty she is, but seeming too pretty for the mall.

The reality is that most teen girls can read us easily, and they tend to start giggling over things that are unusual and unfamiliar, partly because they don't know how to interact with their peers on the topic. They want to belong to their group, and saying "wow she's a he and she's hot!" - could get them stigmatized. At the same time, they may find the idea of a man who looks like a beautiful woman to be a very appealing fantasy, but are afraid to admit it.

In the mall, being very tall, it's a good idea to find some nice flats or sketchers, and wear pants and loose fitting cotton or wool - such as sweat shirts or hoodies. Layer a bit, but not too much, and keep the jewelry reasonable, studs or small danglies. This is one of those times when it's OK to look almost like a boy - because you are less likely to draw attention. The will look at you and see a rather plain woman who is not that well dressed, and just look for someone who is more fashionable, someone they might want to emulate.

actually while i love heels this is also a problem for me where i llive. while i'm not that tall i'm considered tall for a woman by asian standards...so when i go out during the day or basically not to draw attention to myself i wear flats most of the time. i find that it really depends on your surroundings too...for example here in singapore pple usually dress quite casually...so wearing heels n standing taller than most others would definitely stand out!

I am 6'2" and i am not giving up my heels!

Yeah, me too, 6'5".
    My name is Carol.

I posted to a thread along this line somewhere a few weeks back after seeing an article on tall women in entertainment...lets see if I can remember some of those:

Genea Davis was 6' tall
    Nicloe Kidman is 5' 11" I think..
    So is Taylor Swift..
    of course there where several super models in that list as well...
    I have also noticed many taller and bigger women around where I live, many looks about my height, 6 ft.. and some close to my size... well they may be a couple sizes smaller.. but hey.. women come in all sizes... enjoy yourself and don't worry about it.

Jamie

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leana View Post
    When I'm out and about among the unwashed masses my voice is my number one concern, but that's relatively easy to hide, (just stay quiet!). The one thing that's always with me is my height (6' 2" in stockinged feet, 6' 6" or more in heels).
    I can't resist

Q: How do you hide an elephant in a strawberry patch?
    A: You paint its toenails red.

So maybe you just need to get with the open-toed shoes and the polish

6 feet tall is taller than 98% of North American women, huh? Oh, that is just great to know. I hadn't heard that statistic before. I am 6 foot 4. So where does that put me?
    Here is a site with height/weight charts for men and women.
    http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne Renee View Post
    I guess I am the odd one out here. I am not tall.. About 5'6" in reg shoes.
    You are not the only one, I'm 5'6"-ish myself
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

JUST SOME BEAUTIFUL WOMAN 6FT AND OVER
    Brigitte Nielsen (In her Prime) – 6’1
    Amelia Vega – 6’1
    Ana Ivanovic – 6’1
    Jennie Finch – 6’1
    Candace Parker – 6’4
    Gabrielle Reece – 6’4
    Maria Sharapova – 6’2
    Delisa Varik – 6’2
    Natalia Bush – 6’2
    Natasha Stefanenko – 6’1
    Uma Thurman – 6’0
    Victoria Silvstedt – 5’11 borderline 6’0 so she passes
    Meghan Gardler – 6’0
    Claudia Lampe – 6’2
    Lauren Jackson – 6’5
    Brooke Shields 6’
    Elle Macpherson 6’
    Kimora Lee Simmons6’
    L'Wren Scott 6’4
    AND I DONT CARE ABOUT PERCENTAGES I WOULDN'T MIND BEING IN THIS EXCLUSIVE GROUP
    Last edited by latanya; 02-22-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Quote Originally Posted by latanya View Post
    JUST SOME BEAUTIFUL WOMAN 6FT AND OVER
    Brigitte Nielsen (In her Prime) – 6’1
    Amelia Vega – 6’1
    Ana Ivanovic – 6’1
    Jennie Finch – 6’1
    Candace Parker – 6’4
    Gabrielle Reece – 6’4
    Maria Sharapova – 6’2
    Delisa Varik – 6’2
    Natalia Bush – 6’2
    Natasha Stefanenko – 6’1
    Uma Thurman – 6’0
    Victoria Silvstedt – 5’11 borderline 6’0 so she passes
    Meghan Gardler – 6’0
    Claudia Lampe – 6’2
    Lauren Jackson – 6’5
    Brooke Shields 6’
    Elle Macpherson 6’
    Kimora Lee Simmons6’
    L'Wren Scott 6’4
    AND I DONT CARE ABOUT PERCENTAGES I WOULDN'T MIND BEING IN THIS EXCLUSIVE GROUP

Now I like Uma even more

I have no issues. I am only five feet tall (short for a woman also). I don't have much body hair also. But I am very very masculine in my behaviour, posture etc.