Thread: What if there was an excise tax on clothing?

What if there was an excise tax on clothing?

There are times I believe we are being taxed to death. There are federal and state income taxes, sales tax, fuel tax, tobacco and liquor tax, property tax, wheel tax, hidden taxes and user fees that we don't even see tacked onto utility bills, and some taxes I haven't thought of. So what if the powers that be decided there should be a tax on all clothing, what could we do, how could we fight back?

I, for one would not give up dressing but I would take drastic action like shopping on line from merchants in other countries, or even travelling to other countries to buy clothing and smuggling it back to avoid paying excise tax on all my pretty clothes. I might even go so far as to organize a crossdressers protest march to the capitol to fight the repressive clothing tax.

So what do the rest of you girls have to say? Would you stop dressing, would you do anything to avoid the tax, would you join in the protest, or would you get all prettied up in your favorite outfit and forget about the tax?
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Washington is all to happy to add on another tax. I believe its not if they will its when will they and how much? No, i won't give up dressing but i think i will learn how to sew.

I'd protest the tax and go naked!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I, for one, don't see excise taxes on things like clothing as "gonna happen." The companies that manufacture/distribute the clothing still have to pay taxes on the money they make from selling it to retail stores who have to pay taxes on the money they make on them (both times the same type of tax, a "business tax" if you will, the tax that exists just because you are a business that makes money) and the company also has to charge a sales tax to the consumer.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

Silver Member
    Folks already pay 'excise' taxes on clothes (and everything else), it is part of the cost of bringing anything to market. It is easier to up the taxes businesses pay because the end user doesn't "see" the additional tax (and most are oblivious to the fact that taxes on the producers end up really being paid for by the end consumers); they can count on the fact if it is out of sight, it is out of mind.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 02-24-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilmac View Post
    [EVIL]There are times I believe we are being taxed to death.
    No we're not. There's this thing called the internet which allows one to research stuff and compare tax rates between nations and between time periods. Do you know tha Europeans laugh at Americans that think we're taxed to death? Because...we're not. They pay more than we do. And in the past, including one of the periods of greatest prosperity in America, the tax rates were very high, marginal rates over 90% for highest income bracket, so quit yer bitchin, and making a fuss about a problem that doesn't exist just to whine about the government.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I already pay a sales tax on my clothing purcases. The taxes incurred by the retailer and the manufacturer are also passed on. I do not jump for joy at the thought of paying taxes but I do appreciate the services my government provides.

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    Do you know tha Europeans laugh at Americans that think we're taxed to death? Because...we're not.
    I honestly don't think anyone in Europe is laughing very hard right now, and I think we would be better off if we didn't implement their crumbling model of "economic success" here in America.

There are at least a half dozen states in America which anyone can move to if they feel they aren't currently paying high enough taxes.

Taxes sux big time - that is why I'm not helping out the taxman that much. The best way is to keep mobile, move from country to country, that is what I do. There are always private off-shore banking which helps at times. I don't even want to know how many countries I have bank accounts in. It is all legalised operssion, some sort of modern slavery. I'm not having it, they are not going to tell me what to do or be or confrom to. These muppets are going to be the first against the wall when the revolution comes along and guess who is going to pull the the ****ing trigger...

/Johanna

We _are_ taxed on clothing in the UK. We have to pay 20% VAT on all clothing that isn't intended for young children - that's VAT free. It makes charity shops even more attractive! We're also taxed on the fuel that gets anything to us so even the VAT free stuff is actually taxed indirectly. There is road fuel duty added to the price then 20% VAT is put on the total - we pay tax on the tax! Also, if we buy something from abroad we get import duty and the dreaded 20% VAT again. It certainly puts us off importing breast forms!
    **-* Kath *-**
    Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I'm with you Karren, let's start a nude revolution. I'd probably scare the hell out of them with my scrawny body,,,lol
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    If you don't like taxes, don't move to Canada. We have to pay for that health care system somehow. There are provinces in Canada that tax clothing on the sales tax level. Not meaning to give Americans a hard time, but If you had a better tax system, you wouldn't be in the pickle that you are currently in! OMG if you tax the rich, isn't that socializm! LOL
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

[SIZE="4"]Damn it, Jill! Don't give them any ideas!!!!![/SIZE]

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Now that's going to be one Hell of a crossdressing trick! And I thought bikinis were bold!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

In Illinois, taxes are not that bad- it is the direct theft of our money by 50% of elected, appointed, or somehow employed persons in government... No wonde3r we are the only state in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA that does not legally allow concealed carry. Might run across a senator in the middle of a deal and hold him at gunpoint for arrest.... good lord, can't have that.

honestly, we pay less taxes than most, but in the age of equalization- 2000-2020: we will become closer to our eastern and european brethren. i'd pay taxes on my dresses-- no prob.

You do not want to know what i'd prefer to do to the thousand of corrupt legislators and toadies here...

Oh, all right then, if you all insist. I'll send you all a debit card to my offshore bank. You do understand we have to look after our best customers first however, you know, politicians, lawmakers, the oil industry, etc; the top one percent of the business world. There will be a small annual charge for this service and you will need to complete an application and have your paycheck made out to your new corporation before I can assist you. Once done, you will enjoy all the benefits of being tax free, just like the wealthy do. So, where can I send the ap?

I think Jill should be taxed for hurting my eyes with that big red box lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I'm sorry, I can't join Karen's protest, nobody wants to see this fat old man naked. I guess I'll just pay up and and keep shopping, besides it's to cold here for all that nakedness. Oh, and Karren I'm not sure how great that will be for hockey.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.