Thread: Appearances in the "Family"

Appearances in the "Family"

Appearances

"Everybody loves you, don't they? So don't let them down."

Going out has become routine now. I have found my look and my place. I am a crossdresser but others still don't know where to put me exactly into the spectrum. To the general public I could be anything (usually I am a drag queen to them). And to the "Family" I am something else. NB Family is how I think we should be, the whole TG community.

One thing I found that I "knew" for a long time and was told over and over again; your biggest asset is your smile. It is true. If you smile, people either like you or they scowl at you. Either way YOU win. Mostly, when I am out a smile gets a smile back. I have also found if you sit at the bar, more people do talk to you. Last night was no different.

(PS CGRA girls...lighten up kids, if you don't like dressing, don't do it. That makeup will only crack if you have overdone it.).

I also am learning I am losing my hearing. Maybe that is congenital because my dad can't hear well either but I thought his was from years of using power tools without protection. I hear well outside the clubs, I can still pick up heart murmurs that many miss. In the clubs...it is a garbled mess interspersed with a word here or there. This leads to the idea I am a good listener when people talk. I try and listen, so I have to watch lips and lean in. It makes me look like a good listener, so that is a good thing. But really if you asked me what you just said I may not have a clue. Did you say you were raised by kangaroos in Hollywood?

But on the other side of the coin when I have to listen carefully, what I hear you say does register better. I remember things and if they are a little outside...well I will check them out. Last night I met an All-American football player who was on a major college football team...except he wasn't on the rosters when I checked (Guys, expect whoever you are hitting on to check your story, and girls check that story). So one of the two things he told me was false. His name? Or his life. I will go with his life. But that's OK, he was nice and he was friendly and he was very handsome. He was just not hitting on the right person at the right time. Maybe next time.

In addition to the drag performers last night there were several other "girls" there. Here on these boards it is often said "I just want to blend in". And here we argue on what one should wear to blend in. Last night, two of the "family" were out trying to blend in. Dressed like they were going to a PTA meeting. I wanted to talk to them. I smiled and said "How are you" to both of them. They didn't respond in any manner. (I had on a black lined lace just above the knee skirt with a knit black top and black 4" pumps...I wasn't that scary I hope). I know when you are out and especially out alone, you are a little more defensive. And if either of you are reading this, smile, you will have a better time. Say "hi". And don't slump when you walk. If your purse weighs so much you have to lean forward and drop your shoulders, get rid of the extra stuff you don't need and get a smaller bag. I don't care if you did $49.99 for that fake Louis Vuitton, you could not swing it for defense if you wanted to. You don't have to be snooty but be proud, head up shoulders back. People talk about walking like a woman. One of the easiest ways to do that is to be confident. Stand up straight, chest out (you worked for that chest), head up. And when a "sister" says hi, say "hi" back. We are on the same team and we have each other's back. Have fun. Especially if there are other TG's around. This is supposed to be fun. Blending into the wall paper isn't what you want to do.

This week I went out twice. Two different situations. Both were fun. It is interesting how things can be so different even in the same context. Wednesday night was friends. The situation is totally different when you have a group around. I don't remember any of the other patrons in the venues. But the company was great and the conversations ...educational, let's say. That will be a topic for next time.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I also have been smiling more as I go about my daily routine. I have noticed that many people smile back and surprisingly more say hello. I find women more receptive. As a result I go about my day with a smile more often than a frown

I've found that most of our family are very friendly and do talk if you are also receptive. I guess a lot depends on where you are.

Well, all is not lost. Does your hearing loss occur only in clubs/bars or @ anytime when the ambient noise levels are elevated? You might check your sinuses and allergies. I have a similar issue, when my allergies are flaring, the sinus pressure crushes the eustacian tube causing a muuffled hearing capacity. Good luck
    Denise

We have enough youth - how about a fountain of smart......

Great post Lorileah! I soooo agree!

But, what is a "CGRA???"

Hugs,
    Debby

Aspiring Member

Very well phrased

A thoughtful and insightful post Lorileah. It is so true that a smile and a friendly greeting is usually returned. It makes life so much more pleasant to be nice and considerate of each other.

Love,
    Sandra1746

Hell I always SMILE most of the time cuz Im realy happy ,,, Im just a happy person ,, Sometimes I smile when someone tryin to be ugly about something or mean , An sometimes I smile just to keep from CRYIN ,,, SMILEN is easy !! FROWNING is hard for me ,, Just a BUMMER ,, An a let down ,, I smiled so much in my life I wish I had a $ for everytime someone said what you SMILEN about !!!!!!!!!!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Miriam
    Looked up CGRA on the internet and found:
    Commissariat General aux Refugies et aux Apatrides (French: General Commissioner for Refugees and Stateless Persons; Belgium)
    Columbia Gorge Racing Association (sailing; Portland, OR)
    Colorado Gay Rodeo Association (Denver, CO)
    Canadian Girls Rodeo Association (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
    Currency and Gold Revaluation Account
    Canadian Good Roads Association
    I'm inclined to think you meant either the first or last one, but really don't know ;-)

On a different note, I can certainly relate to the hearing issues. I have difficulty making out a single voice in a noisy environment, or even at a table with too many people talking at a time. Doctor diagnosed a bit of hearing loss at one frequency (about the same as my ex's voice!), but generally can't explain the effect. Just something we have to live with. I do the same things (leaning forward, a lot of nodding), but sometimes in a group setting just give up, sit back, and absorb the cacophony. Best strategy is to avoid such situations, but that would mean missing a lot of nice parties, restaurants, and bars. Really wears me out sometimes, and it can be very frustrating.

Oh well, my wife jokes that I was never much of a listener either. But she knows that I'm actually pretty good at it, as long as I turn on my fem listening side and turn off the engineer.

Miriam

That's another great story Lorileah! Not sure why the heck other TG girls would shun you? I understand about the noisy environment too. I do the same, a lot of nodding in agreement, sometimes not sure what I agreed too.lol. In fact I hate noisy places and yelling at one another to be heard.

CGRA is Colorado Gay Rodeo Assn I really wanted the obvious Crossdressers to acknowledge me so maybe they could relax a bit. But you could see they were trying to not be noticed. Give them time and they will have more fun I am sure.

The hearing thing is just in places where there is a lot of background noise. I am not sure but I may be engaged with the guy I was talking to. Gee i hope he gets me a big ring.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

[QUOTE=The hearing thing is just in places where there is a lot of background noise. I am not sure but I may be engaged with the guy I was talking to. Gee i hope he gets me a big ring.[/QUOTE]
    I am hard of hearing also but it is even worse where there is a lot of background noise such as a group of people talking. I hope you get that ring.
    Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229 View Post
    but you might just have inner ear wax buildup that a Q-tip can't reach. The good news is that a visit to your GP can cleanse this area thouroghly with no pain or discomfort. My inner ear wax buildup came from swimming; both in fresh water and in salt water. After the doctor rinsed out my ears I could hear perfectly.
    Stephnie (Purple) might be right -- certainly worth checking. And don't go into your ear with those Q-Tips! I know someone who punctured her eardrum with one of those!

I was having what seems like the same kind of hearing loss that you are describing, Lorileah. After testing by an audiologist (might be free at a hearing aid place) I got a pair of Siemens Celo 2 Lite hearing aids (my insurance paid!) and a remote control. Love 'em! They can be specifically set for noisy environments like restaurants and bars, cutting down background noise and boosting vital frequencies. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Smile, such a simple thing. Look at many women when you pass them by, whether you know them or they're total strangers. They often will smile and/or acknowledge you in some way if eye contact is made. Good to keep in mind in our world as we're out & about, that smiling is one thing that can disarm the Muggles easier than anything else out there.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    CGRA is Colorado Gay Rodeo Assn I really wanted the obvious Crossdressers to acknowledge me so maybe they could relax a bit. But you could see they were trying to not be noticed. Give them time and they will have more fun I am sure.

The hearing thing is just in places where there is a lot of background noise. I am not sure but I may be engaged with the guy I was talking to. Gee i hope he gets me a big ring.
    Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, same hearing problem here after a career in aviation. Anyplace with a lot of background noise and I have to lean in to hear conversation and sometimes even that doesn't work.

Platinum Member
    Your experiences mirror my own. If we are going to have a good time mingling we have to a) try to have fun and b) mingle. Sitting alone in a corner, with a frightened deer look on one's face isn't going to be fun and doesn't do much for our team.

A few weeks ago, one of the sales girls at Clinique told me that what she really like about me was how friendly and open I was. She mentioned another CD patron who barely utters a word, frowns the whole time, and doesn't present herself as being very friendly as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post

It has to be a 3 carat solitaire with a minimum of 3 carats worth of small diamonds on the band. Accept nothing less. As I tell most people, "I may be easy but I'm damn expensive."

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    I think that you are well aware that the probs are neither busted ear drums nor wax. It is that three letter word with two vowels and only that. I suffer too and no one is getting me an engagement ring to console me.

Just smile and they will know that yo understand. Trouble is that smiling is difficult on the phone, but with practise it gets across in the voice.

~Samm