Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walk, dear walk

Girls this is a great topic and I'm really glad for all of the input and discussion. I've used a lot of what y'all been sayin'. I've done the kitchen chairs thing to the watching the videos and it's all a lot of work. After all of the practice in the house and the various hip things, I must say that the best thing is to go out and walk the walk. After 6 months of walking everyday in 4" heels for 'bout 4 hours a day, I've gotten to where I'm confident, mind you not perfect, not nearly so, but confident.

It's shoulder's back and down, head up, loosen the hips, let the knees touch - kindof, one foot in front of the other, don't look down, watch out for that crack in the sidewalk, don't slip, and above all ..... look natural... LOL...

Here's a video that I've found to be worth the watch. It's one of the few times, you can stare at a woman walking and not have to worry...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Veye-N0A4

Renne......

The problem with watching that Bio-motion dealio is it doesn't address the most significant issue for men. Physiology. There is very little we can do to change how our bodies move in relation to our skeleton. I think every CD would do well to not try so hard with the hip swivel. It's a mental trap, similar to over doing makeup. The best thing you can do for your presentation is learn to relax and be comfortable in your skin. The walk along with your movements in general will progress at the same rate your confidence does.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Pay attention to Michael Caine

In looking at the biomotion simulation two things jump out at me. One is elbow and hand placement. Men keep their elbows out and hands in, while women tend to pull their elbows in and allow their hands to move outward, likely to clear the hips. It's subtle, only a couple of inches, but if you practice switching back and forth the difference is evident. Pulling the elbows in also causes the shoulders to move backwards and the upper body to be more erect.

Women also tend to move their feet more toward the centerline than men. You don't want to "walk the line" unless you're on a Paris runway, but moving your foot placement an inch or so closer to the centerline causes subtle changes to hip movement and makes the walk more feminine.

My problem isn't walking like a woman, it's walking like a 6'2" woman with narrow hips. For me, a good walk seems to be a lot more dependent upon posture and stride length than in hip motion. Chin up, shoulders back, shorter steps, let the hips flow a bit more, but not enough to be silly.
    Last edited by Eryn; 02-28-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added a thought.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Wow, I am so glad I have started this debacle Renne had found yet another fantastic vid illustrating how Hips take presence over the rest of the body, notice her torso is sort of dragged by the hips leading the way. Another fact is that not a single woman sways her butt which is a common misconception imitated by crossdressers. The sway which looks like sway, is really the planted leg reacting with upward movement in the hip joint and since ligaments are relaxed such upward movement elevates given hip upward driving the opposing side downwards but since the girl is moving forward such movement is translated into a twisting motion visible as butt sway, which it isn't!

Observe and learn!!! fantastic vid, Renne!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    The problem with watching that Bio-motion dealio is it doesn't address the most significant issue for men. Physiology. There is very little we can do to change how our bodies move in relation to our skeleton. I think every CD would do well to not try so hard with the hip swivel. It's a mental trap, similar to over doing makeup. The best thing you can do for your presentation is learn to relax and be comfortable in your skin. The walk along with your movements in general will progress at the same rate your confidence does.
    Well, the BioMotion animation is useful in showing how NOT to walk (with the slider all the way to the right), and instead aim for something closer to the middle?
    Reine

Hi,

I think you have to be carefull here, as the words , are to walk like a female or woman.. there is a difference & age allso. i see many 1000 of women with in our groups & most have thier own gait or style of how they walk. very few are the same, even thier body shape size & height, & what clothes they are wearing,

im a woman & i have my own style & gait, & its not based on male never was any way. or female for that matter,
    The ? you could ask is , is it male or female or woman or some of both or none of, just how we develope our own unique way of walk & do we all look the same .....no & nore is how we walk. all women do not walk the same,

so then who are we to copy,or should we, as a friend said to me its about losening up. abit dont be stiff & millitry syle,

The other point is shoes , are they heels court flates boots sneakers or Fred Dagg gumboots,
    Now then will you walk in them exaclly the same way each time,dought it,

...noeleena...

I remember as a kid, when i would go shopping with my mum, she would always say "your not walking right, it's one foot in front of the other, you walk like a truckie"... funny i did grow up to be a truckie. i walked the way i did cos im a guy. Now im playing both, i do tend at times to walk as best i can, the way she used to tell me to, but since i never leave the house dressed i dont walk far dressed so it dont matter lol

I have also used a video to practice my walk. It does work. I find if I can feel my upper portion of my legs rubbing together, I'm in good shape. And with each step a little drop in the hip, gives a nice simple sway. This the best I can explane myself. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

A great way to really get the groove on is to go for a walk in your flattest shoes and in drab, and slowly stride and work on relaxing your hips so that each step you feel your body traveling up and down in the pelvis area. Keeping legs together or not at this point of time, is not important, and if you will start loosening up and allow hips to flex quite a bit the circular motion of one leg in front of the other is going to become a necessary ingredient for keeping center of gravity underneath. Believe it or not GGs do it not because it looks good but because it is a physiological function!!!!

Platinum Member
    I try, and practice, practice practice. I have a bit of an advantage because as a younger person I would occassionaly get teased for walking like a girl.

Thanks Inna. Between you and Nicole, I might just get the feminine walk and mannerisms somewhat down.

Quote Originally Posted by catriona36 View Post
    she would always say "your not walking right, it's one foot in front of the other, you walk like a truckie"...
    That's a good point. Not all guys walk like apes. Maybe not everyone needs to alter their walk.
    Reine

I think the biggest thing is to learn to NOT walk like a stereotypical man. If you can show some flow and grace, then all to the good.
    Sally

Aspiring Member

flow and grace, our newest girlfriends

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    I think the biggest thing is to learn to NOT walk like a stereotypical man. If you can show some flow and grace, then all to the good.
    try this video for a really clear view of flo and grace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nrg1picBXpY

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Sometimes it seems we have the cart before the horse in this discussion. The swaying of hips is not the cause of the "feminine walk", it is the result. Put on some 4 inch heels (or higher ) and it's immediately clear that each step is initiated by the upper thigh, and that changes the entire gait. It truly is almost like dancing. How much the hips sway is a function of the agressiveness of the step. It can be exaggerated, of course, but the sway is not the criterion by which the walk is measured, but by the way the leg is used and the placement and size of each step.

A feminine walk is fluid and really a work of art. It should fit with the rest of the presentation, and with that I agree very much with the original post.

tina

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Ehhh . . . my wife would (and has) laughed herself sick at the thought of trying to "walk like a woman". Just like men, women come in all shapes and sizes, and no two look or walk alike. You would probably get hurt if you tried to convince my wife that she was supposed to sway her hips from side to side and place one foot directly in front of the other, etc, etc.
    So are we talking about "walking like a woman" or "walking like a model"?
    Yep, my wife doesn't "walk like a woman" either. She walks just fine though. I dated a woman for a year or so who walked like a construction worker. They are all different. I used to have one working with me who had that "sexy" walk. I used to send her to get things just so I could watch her from behind! (I know, shame on me!)
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

And remember, head up, shoulders back and you are proud, "knockers up", this will help with your deportment. Don't swing your shoulders to increase your stride, like a man. Glide serenely, with your shoulders lifting those pretty bra straps. An enigmatic smile helps.
    Think Mona Lisa.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    And remember, head up, shoulders back and you are proud, "knockers up", this will help with your deportment. Don't swing your shoulders to increase your stride, like a man. Glide serenely, with your shoulders lifting those pretty bra straps. An enigmatic smile helps.
    Think Mona Lisa.
    Toes first, heels flat, knees turned in, small steps, stroll don't walk, saunter don't stroll, glide don't saunter, don't stare at your feet, throw your hips, sashay, step... bump, step... bump, 5 6 7 8 hands palm down, wrists at your hips, elbows in, wiggle. When you stop make sure you push one hip out.

Now pick yourself up off the floor and just walk.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Smile Let's look at videos of real people walking!

Everyone's heads bob when they walk.

Some men have the shoulder motion when they walk and some don't. Some women's hips sway and some don't. Men's tooshies sway when they walk too!

Honestly I couldn't tell a huge difference between most women and men's walks. Or, is it just me?

Reine

Platinum Member
    I spent some time at the mall a couple days ago, and was struck by there are so many different gaits. I mentioned that I was kidded for walking like a girl when I was younger (teens) and recall in particular that a female clerk at a grocery thought I "glided" when I walked. At the time I was embarrassed by anything I did that was considered the least bit feminine, so I practiced walking like a man. How Ironic is that!

Kim, a while back I tried to walk "like a guy". OMG, my walk was so stereotypically apish, it was laughable. My SO and I were in a crowded area while we were walking along doing this, and I'm sure I gave a lot of people cause to smile.
    Reine

I think the best vidio clip of how to not walk like a guy, is in the scene in "Seinfield" where George Costanza was wearing medieval costume, tunic with tights. I tried to find it, to post it, but was unable to.

I'm sure that is how I look and walk!
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    One is elbow and hand placement. Men keep their elbows out and hands in, while women tend to pull their elbows in and allow their hands to move outward, likely to clear the hips. It's subtle, only a couple of inches, but if you practice switching back and forth the difference is evident. Pulling the elbows in also causes the shoulders to move backwards and the upper body to be more erect.
    Good points, Eryn, and a fun clip too! Kate17 mentioned a very important thing related to elbow position, men tend to keep their elbow bend oriented inward, the crease turned toward their body, bone end out. Women tend to keep their elbows turned foreward, crease to the front, bone toward the back. That change and relaxing your arm and shoulder muscles allows your arms and hands to swing in a much more feminine manner and, I believe, makes a big change in how your entire body moves when walking. Keeping your arms in that rotation can be learned through regular practice when you walk.

In addition to arm movement, it seems that a number of people dismiss their possibility of ever learning to walk in a feminine manner by simply saying that it is all due to women's broader hips. I'm not convinced. We've all seen narrow hipped women who still move in feminine manner, so if they caan do it we can too!

In addition to keeping your thighs together, I believe that a more natural feminine walk can occur if you do two things. First, walk from the inside of your foot, like skating, as you walk you roll your foot towards the outside; this will cause you to slightly shift your balance just a bit from side to side. Secondly, feel your thighs just below where they join (tucking helps!) moving slightly up and down against each other as your balance shifts from one foot to the other.

That's it! If you've got your arms relaxed and pivoted, your thighs together, your feet rolling, and your legs sliding along each other I'm willing to bet you are walking beautifully!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I am just a mess when i walk. A small limp (back and knees not the best) . left foot hangs out to the left (tore ligaments in the ankle) left arm just tends to hang as the right arm tends to swing ( not sure why tho have lost a lot of strength on left side)

What i have come to notice when in heels is, my left foot tends to be straight (maybe i sub conciously straighten as not to fall a$$ up), the limp is gone but the arm stays the same, (yet walking throught the house short distances i dont notice the arm movements that much anyway). did buy a new pair of boots and took them for a test drive yet havnt walked in them much at all but have noticed i walk with my fat a$$ legs closer together when i do. i would like to get out one night and take them for a good walk to see just how i change in the way i walk in heels compared to runners...

The real question is:
    Why do males and females naturally walk differently? Is it something to do with their bone and/or muscle structure? Their weight distribution? Is it learned from watching others of the same gender? Is it intentional or subconcious?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda