Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caught My Wife Dressing Up

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    Babeba I think Scarlet's post was very much a "tongue in cheek" thing - we Brits do have a weird sense of humour sometimes that isnt always understood by our friends across the Pond. I dont think she meant any harm - did you Scarlet???

Silent,

I know it was meant to be over-the-top funny... But the reactions of new GGs are too raw to joke about. It's like racist jokes - like if the wife had had a really culturally black moment and someone started spouting off about fried chicken and welfare. Or if the wife were East Indian and was caught doing something from that culture she doesnt normally do, like dress up in a sari, and so someone made a joke about smelling curry. I don't think saying negative stereotypes are ever funny enough to make up for the fact they are reinforcing them.

I grew up on Monty Python, Are You Being Served and the Carry ons, my Grandparents are from Yorkshire and I lived in England for almost a year and a half. I know quite a bit about British humour and I appreciate it... Most of the time!
    Last edited by Babeba; 03-03-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    Back on topic...

Jenny Beth, did you show you're okay with her dressing femme sometimes by maybe buying her a necklace or making her a cute card to find next time she goes in her 'nice things' drawer?
    Firstly I knew Scarlet Rose's post was a tongue in cheek remark but I also knew it could be taken the wrong way by some who are having difficulties with their relationships. I almost didn't even post my topic in the first place because I also know there are some here who have been caught and it has cost them dearly and wouldn't see the humour in it. I certainly understand your position and for what it's worth wherever you are on an understanding/acceptance or non acceptance level I am glad there are women here who are trying to work though this with their partners. But back to your question.

She knows I like seeing her dressed up just as I like seeing her in jeans and plaid shirts when she's gardening or hiking, I don't try to influence what she wears any more than she tries to influence what I wear but that mostly comes from over twenty five years in this lifestyle. I like your idea of the cute card in her "nice things" drawer though, we always exchange girly birthday cards so I'll have to give this some serious thought.
    You don't have to have been born female to enjoy being a girl

How cool is that!!! Your post made me giggle.....love when that happens.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Believe me, Jenny, I definitely see the humour in it! I love it, great reactions.

Scarlet, the absurdity of the situation is super clear. And if you had joked about one stereotypical GG reaction, it still would have been funny. It was more the fact that you posted a laundry list of 'gg reactions'... All negative ones... That felt a bit venomous. The 'turning on its head' humour only works if the things or viewpoints referenced in the joke are recognizable, and the very act of making them into a joke normalizes and reinforces them. as in, it's funny because somewhere you're thinking, 'that's totally what happens! Haha, how do you like them apples?'. It's the sort of mentality that makes new-to-this GGs think, 'I don't want to be That Girl. I won't rock the boat.' then she doesn't properly communicate her needs or talk about how dressing affects the relationship... And one more happy couple is less likely to make it through this whole thing together.

I tried to turn the type of humour around by joking about a different type of GG reaction - trying to show support materially, which many of us do as an early reaction - and Jenny took it very seriously. That's totally well and good, I love it when couples do cute little things to show they love and care, but I was trying to make the same category of joke as Scarlet. (and that Jenny did so well in the first place, with no mean spirit about it!)

You know why it fell flat on its face? I'm guessing because the stereotype of GGs is to be a party-pooping naysayer who will ruin it all for you rather than there being a possibility of her being accepting or willing to be open minded and explore. That is the sad part.

stockings every time but shaved legs always,
    i bought a handbag from a goodsecond hand shop, it was new still had the label on it and unmarked ,got it for $5 andwhen i got home i showed my wife,,, she looked at it and then said in my ear,,, you realise Velvet its not real leather,,,, she didnt say why did u buy that or the colour is not right,, we both still laugh about it years later...

That's so cute! I like it when my wife has some fun dressing up, usually she views it as a bit of a chore. If she only knew how much better she looks dressed cute than I can ever manage....

I thought the only people who dress like that these days are crossdressers.