Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus View Post
    What conscience did he display when he sent tens of thousands of them into harms' way in Afghanistan in what he knew beforehand was a probable lost cause, for whatever political advantage he thought he might gain at the time and further political advantage by pulling them out with the job not finished just in time for his reelection campaign.

thanks for making my point.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Drafted in "68. Sergeant Babes reporting, sir!! I will not dignify the volunteer comment made earlier, as I served with some truly wonderful volunteers, and believe the services continue to get excellent people even today. I proudly served for the time I was asked to. your country protects you even if your locals will not. I believe make and female can serve. Should they be drafted, no, that is settled law, and moot.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I don't know about the states but here in Singapore we hav mandatory conscription of 2 years of active service for all males upon reaching 18 with 10 years of reservist. Even those who are transitioning are assigned clerical and support roles if they have the necessary doctors documentation and assigned a special physical status classification than other guys.

I'd assume the draft might work the same if it ever came to it

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    During Viet Nam, most of my friends signed up for the Navy, Air Force, or Marines. So they could get into a specific MOS, (your assigned duty/job while in), and avoid being drafted into the Army as a bullet catcher. I checked into that. But, found it usually required 3 or 4 years active duty and up to 6 years reserve duty! I didn't think I could take mindless macho madness for that long.

When I got drafted, they told us we could either, "Lead, or follow". Conveniently not mentioning the, "Or, get out of the way!", option. Which more or less defined my 2 years in the Army! I think I was as happy to get out as my sergeants were to see me leave! Let me say I NEVER, nor do I now, have ANYTHING BUT THE GREATEST RESPECT for anyone serving their country! No matter how they or why they got in! My quarrel has ALWAYS been with the misinformed ego maniacs that get us into these wasteful and unnecessary messes in the first place!

Johnson died a sorry, broken man because of Nam. A fate I feel he richly deserved!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 03-07-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

When they began with the draft lottery system I was 10miles south of the DMZ. Iwas 356.

Like they say, "war is hell". I don't believe any group of political people or the president of the US goes in to a war with no conscience. But once we go into a war lets WIN IT! Theres no excuse for losing any war that we enter quickly. We possess great fire power.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Let me say I NEVER, nor do I now, have ANYTHING BUT THE GREATEST RESPECT for anyone serving their country! No matter how they or why they got in! My quarrel has ALWAYS been with the misinformed ego maniacs that get us into these wasteful and unnecessary messes in the first place!

Johnson died a sorry, broken man because of Nam. A fate I feel he richly deserved!
    Well said, Sherry! My feelings exactly.

(By the way, my grandfather knew LBJ personally and received a letter of congratulations from him when he retired after 47 years as a high school principal. The family told me I was supposed to be proud of that, but I was never too sure.)

Best wishes, Annabelle

I missed the draft. And later on went in the army in my mid 20's. A lot of good men give their live for us in nam. For which I thank them and those who serve today.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I was 142 and they only took to 45 that year. It was way easier to run to Canada than do the Corporal Klinger route. Lol. Not that I would have done either.... I was prepared to go....
    My number was 6 and I received a letter stating I had 30 days to enlist in the armed forces or I would be subject to wherever they wanted to put me. I joined the service and became a member of a very select group (dedicated but crazy) and had to bury my CDing till I got out after almost 7 years. Ended up doing 3 tours of Nam and other places and am just as nuts now as I was then. If they knew of my CDing, I would have been thrown out faster than s**t through a goose.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyJameson View Post
    I would think that men who crossdress would be less likely to want to kill other human beings.
    I did more than my fair share for Uncle Sam and now am visited by their ghosts every night. Crossdressing has nothing to do with whether you can kill or not. If you believe in the cause you're fighting for, you can do anything. Females are some of the most vicious and protective defenders. Just look at a mother protecting it babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Salene View Post
    I live in a state where a TG has no legal protection from discrimination. So I ask why should I protect a country that will not protect me?
    Because the government does protect your rights under the Constitution. Its individuals that do not. You still have the ability to crossdress without fear of the government coming into your house and taking you away so that you are never seen again. You have the right to state your opinion and not fear retribution by that government. It is a sad state that humans don't follow the golden rule, " Do unto others as you would have done unto you." Man has a greedy tendency to turn what they conceive as weakness to puff up their ego and sense of superiority. It is nothing more than insecurity of the individual or group of individuals. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I lost a LOT of team members who gave their lives just so you can say what you want to, without fear of reprisals. I will now get off my soap box and fade into the background where I belong. HOOO_YAAAAAW!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    During Viet Nam, most of my friends signed up for the Navy, Air Force, or Marines. So they could get into a specific MOS, (your assigned duty/job while in), and avoid being drafted into the Army as a bullet catcher. I checked into that. But, found it usually required 3 or 4 years active duty and up to 6 years reserve duty! I didn't think I could take mindless macho madness for that long.

When I got drafted, they told us we could either, "Lead, or follow". Conveniently not mentioning the, "Or, get out of the way!", option. Which more or less defined my 2 years in the Army! I think I was as happy to get out as my sergeants were to see me leave! Let me say I NEVER, nor do I now, have ANYTHING BUT THE GREATEST RESPECT for anyone serving their country! No matter how they or why they got in! My quarrel has ALWAYS been with the misinformed ego maniacs that get us into these wasteful and unnecessary messes in the first place!

Amen, doc! He and Nixon (for leaving so many men left behind) were both broken because of the greed.
    Last edited by Nigella; 03-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    If you wake up in the morning; See a sunrise; You name is not in the obituaries (long story); You see a sunset; Then its a good day. All the rest is superfluous B.S. (Bad Science).

I have an ear you can bend and a shoulder you can cry on.

I'm working on my Ph.D. in "Alternative Wardrobe Explorations"

When I saw the title of this thread ("US Draft") on a crossdressing forum, I naturally assumed the topic was that delightful feeling we experience while wearing skirts and dresses on a breezy day: "under skirt draft".