Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?

Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?

I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label. Maybe dressing as women, we should consider ourselves with empowerment such as vixens instead. Just a thought.

I find the term very offensive and demeaning. That's just the way I feel.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Ok. I'm granting u your wish, Brass. Your such a total vixen!

As far as I'm concerned, u can call me anything but late for a CD outing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but I just hate that term.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

This idea seems to turn some people on (see almost any fictionmania story). I personally don't really care, people can call me a sissy, whatever. I don't get turned on or offended by the term. It's just a word.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Some submissive CD's get off on the "sissy" stuff, but I don't see that it should be applied to anyone else. I generally find it to be a derogatory term too.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Carol,
    You are so right. I just want to scream when I hear that term.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

You probably won't see me use it, because I'm also not a huge fan. But, I also don't really care if people call themselves a sissy. I DO contain certain biases towards people that use that term...could be positive or negative, depending how you look at it. By I see sissy almost synonymous with fetishist in a way. Just a view I've developed.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Please explain the word "sissy".

I'm not a fan of the word either... it conveys weakness for me, now vixen - I totally want to be a vixen

I'm sorry to be such prude, but to mean both terms are mean spirited and hateful. I know that I'm a minority here on this subject, but that's the way I feel. I had to get that out, I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Hugs&Kisses to all.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    You probably won't see me use it, because I'm also not a huge fan. But, I also don't really care if people call themselves a sissy. I DO contain certain biases towards people that use that term...could be positive or negative, depending how you look at it. By I see sissy almost synonymous with fetishist in a way. Just a view I've developed.

Exactly, some people want to be a sissy, and that's fine. If that's what someone wants to do, what's the harm? If I want to be a sissy, I can be a sissy. In fact, maybe I am. Of course, it's different if someone else calls you this term. Rather like a certain term widely used for people who came from the Niger. It can be embraced and used for empowerment, or can be used by narrow-minded Conservatives (a truly offensive epithet) to offend innocent people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Julogden View Post
    Some submissive CD's get off on the "sissy" stuff, but I don't see that it should be applied to anyone else. I generally find it to be a derogatory term too.

Carol
    I totally agree with you on this. This is how I view the term as well. It would be like calling our wives a doragatory name. But sometimes with some couples, when in the bedroom, sometimes name calling can be good. I guess the word can be insulting by which context it is used. Iike Ihave male friends I can call on the phone and say hey what's happening you A**hole, and no offense will be taken, but in a different context the same name can be insulting. So with the name of sissy, it really would depend on how the one using the name means it.

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    I don't think you're in the minority, Arlene, most of us wouldn't want a stranger calling us that. I don't care for name calling for anyone, and that word if not used by two consenting adults usually is intended to demean. It's fine with me if someone wants to call herself that, but I don't call anyone else names and wouldn't take it too well if it were used towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Winona View Post
    I don't think you're in the minority, Arlene, most of us wouldn't want a stranger calling us that. I don't care for name calling for anyone, and that word if not used by two consenting adults usually is intended to demean. It's fine with me if someone wants to call herself that, but I don't call anyone else names and wouldn't take it too well if it were used towards me.
    Janice,
    An excellent post darlin.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Anyone call me a Sissie and i would become quit vocal,I hate the word

I accepted myself as a crossdresser. That was how I got to this place, putting on my mothers clothes. I understand a sissy to be one who would not fight or hit back or played with dolls or girl stuff. Not just putting on clothes of the opposite gender. Of course the term was actually given to boys. I do not at my age see myself as a boy, but I am a man. A woman is a man too in human terms. Look there are more feminine chromosomes are than there are masculine ones.

XX XY 3x's and 1 y what do you think maybe going on here. But from the moon I can't be seen even with a telescope, microscope and a magnifying glass. lol

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Was Calamity Jane a sissy? I don't think so. Seriously if there was car accident everyone in this forum would assist the injured right? Sissy would be derogatory my opinion. Whats Webster dictionary definition of a Vixens I mean I know what it means, but the devil in the details? Dam now I am going goggle

vix·en (vksn)
    n.
    1. A female fox.
    2. A woman regarded as quarrelsome, shrewish, or malicious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[From dialectal alteration of Middle English fixen, from Old English fyxe.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vixen·ish adj.
    vixen·ish·ly adv.
    vixen·ish·ness n.
    Word History: Why does the word fox begin with f but its female counterpart, vixen, begin with v? The answer lies in English dialects. In the speech of Devon, Somerset, and Cornwall, counties of southern England, words that begin with the voiceless fricative sounds (f) and (s) are pronounced instead with voicing, as (v) and (z). (The local rendering of the county name Somerset, in fact, is "Zomerzet.") The voicing is due to a Middle English sound change and may have roots even earlier. At least three examples of this dialectal pronunciation have entered standard English: vat, vane, and vixen. The first of these is a variant of an earlier word fat; the pronunciation with (f) was still used in the 19th century before being displaced by the southern pronunciation (vt). Vane, which used to mean "flag," has a cognate in the German word for "flag," Fahne, showing the original f. Vixen, finally, represents the southern pronunciation of a word that goes back to Old English fyxe, the feminine of fox. It was formed by a change in the root vowel of fox and the addition of a suffix -e or -en. Besides being one of the rare southern English dialect forms to have come into standard English, vixen is also the only survival of this type of feminine noun in the modern language.
    Last edited by Sandra; 03-09-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: merged posts, you could have just edited your previous post to add.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by brassieres View Post
    Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?
    No.
    Reine

Why do we insist on labels? Isn't it just OK to be human?

Little boxes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La21jYGIQ8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lG...eature=related

I am Kaz... I am unique!.. OK I have friends who share some of my interests, but they may not be in my box and when I think they are I am usually surprised later on when I realise they are not... I treat everyone as unique.. although they do show some tribal attributes!

A senior colleague of mine recently emailed me (work related!) that he 'knew' which tribe I belonged to... My immediate reaction was anger - I am not in a tribe! I am in many tribes! But then, on reflection, this could be a tribe!

But I am a member of many tribes...
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-09-2012 at 03:48 AM.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Count me in as one that hates that term. It has so many bad connotations attached to it. I do dress in women's clothes and emulate all the beautiful, loving strong things that I see and feel women are. That is an act that the general public might say I'm a sissy for doing it. But they better never call me a sissy to my face or all hell will break loose. I think it puts women down suggesting they are less then man. The most common use of the term is to bully a weaker kid. One that is not physically strong, smaller, or not as brave as the other boys on the street. So among kids, it's a very hurtful word. I happen to also be a submissive BUT only to the powerful loving woman I serve, my SO. But I am far from submissive to anyone else. So even being a submissive CD, I can't stand that derogatory term. Why some CDs like to be called a sissy is beyond me.
    Go shop E bay and you will see tons of sissy dresses and sissy panties listed as such by the seller. I am sure they are attracting the fetish CD wiht that kind of wording. Again, I find it insulting and derogatory and so does my SO.

Sissies, Transvestites, Cross Dressers, Transsexuals, all sound degratory in their own way to the un initiated.
    I am starting to think I should present myself as a dresser. Male to Female if necessary.
    To the politically correct that could be turned around as well.
    Think of terms for other races, Frog, Pole, Pom, nigger, Balts. I have not mentioned the religious ones as they are more militant. Politicians, Lawyers, Sticker Lickers, Parking Inspectors et al. They all seem to be put down instantly.They have all been put down at some time yet they are only a description of a particular race or outlook.

Beverley the dresser.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Why are we having this discussion? Is this a common word? I don't think I've heard the word on here before this discussion. Maybe we are validating this term by giving it more attention than it deserves?

If anyone uses that in a derogatory way towards you just ask 'em if they think a sissy would have the balls to put on a dress and heels.

Sissies, bah! Here's to Wonder Women and Bra Power!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club