Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    NO! I was called that enough in grade school. It hated it then and I hate it now. The ladies are right it is a term used to describe a fetish. Unless you are a fetishist then it is a derogatory term. Please don't sling the word around in public because it paints a bad picture for those of us who aspire to general acceptance by others.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    No! Absolutely not! You first have to pay your dues. You first need to experience the slaps to the back of the head on the school bus, the trips in the hallway, the books slapped out of your hand, being pushed down the stairwell, the girls laughing at your pathetic attempts to show interest, your pant pulled down if front of everybody... beatings and humiliations without end. You need to be called, in addition to “sissy”, fairy, pansy, pu$$y, dweeb, dork, faggot, queer, homo... and you have to come to believe it. You must one day realize that you really do belong with all your freaky friends: scrubs, fats, nerds, nose pickers and pants wetters. You're happy the day you were picked before your friend the fat kid for the soccer team. Then there is the sobs under the covers, the self hate, the depression, suicide obsession, counselors and doctors, medications, psych wards and hospitals, addictions and alcoholism until you are standing at the edge staring into the abyss deciding whether to jump.

If you come through all of that, THEN you can look in the mirror and say, “I am a sissy, but unlike my tormentors, I'm not a coward or a weakling.” I don't hide behind authority or numbers. I can't fight but I don't back down. A male but not a man, girly but not a girl, I am my own gender. You can't just throw on some frilly frock and call yourself a sissy. It has to be earned.
    I, like many people, have been through similar situations and would never consider myself a sissy.

Being bullied and having issues doesn't make you a sissy. But if that's what you want to call yourself, go right on ahead

Quote Originally Posted by brassieres View Post
    I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label. Maybe dressing as women, we should consider ourselves with empowerment such as vixens instead. Just a thought.

Nope, enough people call us sissies already.

We are vixens.

purple8229. Both me and my neighbors homes are completely under water, neither he nor I can sale, rent or move. We are, because of the housing
    crisis, linked to one-another. It is commonly understood that I am the odd-ball in the neighborhood so most of the neighbors just nod their heads-
    good morning style, but stay their distance...........Since I am KING, I dont accept their beer guzzling, deer meat barbequeing, loud music blaring,
    jersey wearing, fire cracker exploding, big bellied wisecracks thank you..BEING A CROSSDRESSER MEANS THAT WE ARE BETTER THAN
    EVERYONE ELSE.............dana lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Rose View Post
    They are the female fox that walks up and down at 3 am sounding like someone being raped right?
    Not sure... I'm never up that late.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    The OP asked if we should (generically, added for clarity) call ourselves sissies. The answer to that question is no, but the reason is clearly that the term sissy is specific to a subset of crossdressers that has specific qualities, and those who choose this specific area of crossdressing should be able to use this term to explain their niche. It also should not be used generally since most crossdressers are not in that niche, so the "label" would be incorrect.

Simple

tina

Makeup addict!
    I don't like the term at all. It's kind of personal because it doesn't apply to me at all. I'm a regular guy who puts on outfits and wigs for fun. In fact, I was called a bro recently

NO & NO, it is a negative that boys like to say about young boys that don't fit in the cookie cutter, it hurts when your young and they call you sissy, growing up it hard enough, so let not call us girls sissy,and try to stop this, it is another way of bulling.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

well i think this is America...and eaven as messed up as we are right now,we all,each of us,can call ourselves whatever we want.I can understand the subissive wanting to be called a sissie... but i dont think that there will ever be a chance that crossdressers as a group would ever agree to a term that has already caused a lot of suffering in the lives of a lot of us as stated above.Add to that its derogitory nature,and,well,eaven though i may or may not do a lot of things that most of mainstream america would refer to as "sissy", ive also had to pull my finger off a 10d galvanized framing nail out of a nail gun( poke to karen h)...electrical taped it and finished the 12 hr day...then gone home to care for my dying wife and 2 young boys at the time.(In boyshorts if i remember correctly)so in my opinion if "we" were to choose a name i suggest something that would a.make gg's smile and b. be a good poke in the ribs to the namecallers
    Kimmie

"Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies?" That was the starting question. If this means all of us in this forum then the reply is surely (no). On the other hand " I " would SO love to be a sissy for a strong woman.
    And yes I know that is a different forum. hehehe

My understanding is that "Sissy" is a submissive crossdresser. Since I own my femininity, I'd prefer not to be referred to as such.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Josie on Google Plus

Josie's Flickr Photostream

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

"Sissy" is either of my two least hairy siblings, neither of which acts like a 'sissy'. i've had 'girly boy' from a co-worker, never bother to correct him, but also shut him down very quickly when he crossed the line into actually trying to be nasty about it- not appropriate to discuss it here- but it was put up or shut up. He backed off, and we got along for years until i left that company.

Derogatory names by themselves are not a big deal, but the disrespect they foment when used by persons outside that named group- that's not good. Thus, it's better not to call someone a name or label with negative connotations- unless you know they understand it is coming from you as a friendly tease only.

Thin ice at best, i'd stay off it unless you know for sure. And i'd recommend against pushing anyone else out on the ice.... since you asked.

"Vixen" sort of implies that our femininity is all we have going for us. You really want to go that route? After that movie about the pig, I'm not even sure if I want to be referred to as "Babe".

And I definitely don't get the whole "Sissy" fetish, so that's definitely off the table.
    Silk and Steel

I am most certainly not a sissy. To me the term implies being weak. My feminine side looks up to strong, confident women, not weak ones. If someone is into being a "sissy" for roleplay then have fun playing that game but if people who see me as a sissy are in grave error.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie M View Post
    My understanding is that "Sissy" is a submissive crossdresser. Since I own my femininity, I'd prefer not to be referred to as such.
    I would disagree with you of what a sissy is. True, I am a crossdresser. I am also a submissive to my SO. No, it's not a game to us. It's how we interact with each other in everyday life. I do not see myself as a sissy, nor does my SO. I strongly dislike that term and we do not use it any more then us using "Mistress" to describe her dominance over me. Both terms have negative meanings to us both. I am as much a man as the next, but with a strong female component inside. I am not weak physically or emotionally. In fact, in my way of thinking, it takes a stronger man to submit to the wants and needs of a woman then it doesto to dominate her.
    Not all submissive crossdressers are sissies anymore then all dominant women are Mistresses or worse, a dominatrix. It's not a game to us. I am not submissive to anyone but the lady I love. In public, you would never know it anymore then you'd know I'm a crossdresser.
    For those that like to "play" being a Mistress and sissy, that's fine and enjoy it. It's just so far removed from the way I/we live.
    Last edited by BRANDYJ; 03-10-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Whenever I see the term Sissy being used to describe a crossdresser it's usually to describe a submissive crossdresser sometimes with his mistress. But I doubt anyone would refer to themselves as that outside of fantasy/role-playing.

I've looked up the definition of "Sissy" a few times, and it usually says something along the lines of what dictionary.com offers:
    1. an effeminate boy or man.
    2. a timid or cowardly person.
    3. a little girl.

So I suppose that technically most of us ARE sissy's, but I REALLY dont like that label. While it clearly is not the actual definition of the word, I think "sissy" means someone who is a coward, who is afraid to do hard work, who is afraid or unwilling to get their hands dirty, and those things do NOT describe me. For that matter, they do not describe most of the women that I know.

Good post Kimberly. I'd only add that in some families, a sister among siblings is sometimes called Sissy as a nickname. Think of Sissy Spacek the actress.
    To some it's the same as calling a female a Tomboy for doing things considered male. A male might be called a sissy if he is into cooking, fashion, or even nursing. Of course I would not agree with those as reason to call a male a sissy.
    But once again, I do not like the term at all.

From what I've seen, the term sissy in the CD world is derived from the word "sister", and defines a boy that relates to being a sister. For example, a boy that prefers to play with dolls instead of doing boy stuff and tries on sister's clothes. It certainly has different meanings.

I didn't play with dolls, but did try on the clothes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FemPossible View Post
    Whenever I see the term Sissy being used to describe a crossdresser it's usually to describe a submissive crossdresser sometimes with his mistress. But I doubt anyone would refer to themselves as that outside of fantasy/role-playing.
    Thats a good way to state it Fem. The term may kind of fit me, but I prefer to be called a part time cd, or even fetish cd instead.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by brassieres
    Should We Refer To Ourselves as Sissies? I do not know, it is kinda a derogatory label.
    [SIZE="2"]I like thinking of myself as a sissy, and I don’t feel it’s a derogatory term, but everyone else does! I think this is one of the side effects of MtF crossdressing – am I a sissy, a fairy, or...gasp...GAY? You are what you are, or, more specifically, what you wish to be, but it’s all about how others will perceive your expression. This is why I remain secretive, because the idea of being a sissy is cute, worth a giggle, and not worth worrying about. I suppose other males feel threatened in some way when a boy/male/man starts to exhibit anti-masculine characteristics, but they are not aware what pleasures await those who explore their own sexuality and/or potential...
    [/SIZE]

You can refer to me as Princess Consuela Banannahammock.

(I also need better things to do)

Gee ...this is one of those perennial discussions that never has an end. Sissy means so many things to so many people. I am totally OK with being a sissy. A very girly girl or a very girly guy. Hey! That is what I am! I not a sissy maid, or anyone's slave (unless I want to be). And yeah, it can have its derogatory connotations and gay males look down upon their sissy counterparts and pump iron 24 hours to counteract the sissy effect, but that is just plaiin hypocrisy.

I like the word. I reclaim it to its proper place and meaning. The word is a nice word that has been hijacked by all kinds of subcultures and the kids in the playground.

I am a sissy... and guess what? I am proud of it. And if someone calls me a sissy, I say "thank you very much... you are quite observant!"

The think I do not like is a lot of people also associate the word with someone that may be a bimbo or not willing to get their hands dirty. Not this sissy....
    Love,

Michelia

"Genius is the recovery of childhood at will." Rimbaud

Quote Originally Posted by Michelia View Post
    I am a sissy... and guess what? I am proud of it. And if someone calls me a sissy, I say "thank you very much... you are quite observant!" ..
    Attention: This is what courage and self acceptance looks like.

I'll bet a hundred dollars this girl has no problem with relationships, intimate or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I'm confident in my lack of confidence, does that count?