Thread: HRT and Energy

HRT and Energy

Hi!

There are frequent postings about mood swings and the peace and tranquility that seems to accompany HRT and I can certainly understand all of that, but how are your energy levels?

I'm not currently on HRT but have been on a variety of meds for cholesterol, blood pressure, and so on. I have taken Finasteride for years and my doctor recently added a low-dose of Spiro.

Whether it is the Anti-T's or some of the other meds in the cocktail or age or something else entirely, I've had low energy for some time now. My "get up and go" seems to have got up and went.

I don't get as much done every day as I would like to and it causes some friction between my spouse and I.

I recently came across an article on how this can happen when you are on Anti-T and don't replace it with anything.

So how about you? Does HRT help restore your energy?

Thanks!!!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Persephone; 03-11-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: sorry but doses are not allowed.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

at first i would feel blah when it was time for me to take my next dose but that was short lived. It could have been psycoligical though, but supposidly "low-T" causes this.
    I was told that I was "Way out there In left field", but I don't even know where that is.

Jess

Banned Read only
    Hi!!

I remember when I first started HRT my energy level was quiet high then quickly diminished over the course of the following few months.
    As I remember my energy rebounded after about nine months or so.
    Most of the energy loss came from my spiro intake.
    I counteracted the loss by my continued distance running routine.

Julia

Aspiring Member

Energy levels

I surely don't want to raise the question of another girl's age but I can state for myself that my energy levels have decreased as I get older (I'm 65). I also take statins finasteride and BP meds so that may also drive the trend.

Staying active and, most importantly, eating less has been my way to counter the "ravages of time".

Stay active and stay well,
    Sandra1746

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1746 View Post
    I surely don't want to raise the question of another girl's age but I can state for myself that my energy levels have decreased as I get older (I'm 65).
    Thanks Sandra!

Let's just say we probably went to diifferent high schools together since I'm in your reunion class. And yes, I do try to do all of the things you suggested, but from what I'm reading in the literature, anti-T and no replacement appears to lead to significant loss of energy and I'm wondering if HRT would restore that.

Hugs,
    Persephone
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    I have been on Estradiol for six-months and it didn't seem to have any bearing on my energy level at all...Due to some on going medical concerns I have only recently began taking Spirolactone (two weeks now) and it seems that my energy levels have had more periods of ups and downs...energy seems to drop 3-4 hours after dosing, lasting 1-2 hours and then back to normal.....thinking this might be an antagonistic reaction and something which I was expecting. Overall though I am still able to function well so long as I plan for this down period and can't blame HRT for any decrease in my energy levels.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

SPIRO is the culprit ingredient of HRT, with diminished T energy levels, muscular tissue regeneration is almost absent and loss in tissue mass and T energy is quite noticeable. Low dose however should translate to less of energy loss but then the older the individual the lesser T count and so the lower dose of Spiro.

There could be another T blocker besides Spiro in your cocktail of medicines. Finasteride isn't as potent as Spiro and doesn't entirely stop T production but prevents T from turning into more potent form.

Aspiring Member

Energy levels

In my case I don't have reduced T-levels based on the averages for my age cohort, despite taking Finasteride. It doesn't block T-production, just conversion to DHT which is active in the prostate.

My advice is to discuss this with your DR, he/she can do blood tests to work up a better diagnosis that might lead to a different problem (insulin, thyroid, etc) that is really causing the lack of energy.

Good luck and stay well.
    Hugs,
    Sandra1746

I myself haven't notice a energy level drop in my everyday living. Than again I have only been on HRT for about 8 months now. My T level is 7.0 and E 213. Plus I do seem to get a high off of life everyday since I decided to transitioned.

Kristy

My body seams to be doing the opposite of what most do. since staring hormones I have lost weight and gained energy.