Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, I'm thinking of getting into crossdressing. Any advice?

Don't... Run away as fast as you can!! This is not something "you think about getting into". The exception being cross-dressing for fun and profit, basically, if your profession doesn't require it or you don't have a basic deep down psychological need to dress, don't do it.
    I don't want to be a woman, I just want to play one on TV

Oxymoron of the year. Inexpensive best makeup.
    The question you have to ask is do you have a large enough closet for 2 sets of cloths. His and hers. That goes back to the expensive part,unless you plan on going full time.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WyrmQueen View Post
    Is crossdressing expensive?

Any advice to start out inexpensively?

What are some good starter wigs? I have a Forever Young wig but it's so unruly.

What are the best make-ups? Can any of them hide a 5 o'clock shadow?
    First, welcome to the site!

Well, it would help enormously if we knew a bit about you. You mention that you have a wig, but what about other female clothing that you may have tried or perhaps own? Almost all of us here started CDing by trying on clothing at some point - sister's, mother's, other relative or friend/girlfriend. What is your motivation?

Contrary to what you might think, for most of us this NO hobby! It's serious stuff. As Karren will tell you, it is something that we are driven to do. Yes, we might enjoy it, embrace it - even love it.....but it really isn't something that you can easily stop doing once you reach a certain level. Call it a drug, if you will. Because some serious side-effects can ensue. I've been dressing for 35 years, and did stop for a while, but when it came back, it was like a freight train at full throttle! Anyway, perhaps you might post a bit about what has got you to this point....in the New Member Introductions.

Quote Originally Posted by cindi cinnamon View Post
    NEVER PURGE......... I mean never, ever, ever, ever purge.

You'll just end up replacing the pretty things you threw away..... with even more pretty things than you had before.

Welcome.... and don't be afraid to ask for help..... we're all here to help one another.

HAPPY DRESSING !!!!!!
    Good point, Cindi. Purging is never good. Put your stuff away out of sight and mind, if you feel such urges. STASH - don't TRASH!!! And yes, ask lots of questions in the appropriate forums. This is a support site, and a good one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    Well on the shaving the shadow...... Use a blow torch. LOL
    Paint strippers also work quite well on heavy beards

Just shave real close and often.
    And electric razors rarely cut it (pun intended ) You need a good safety razor to get a good close shave. You'll still have that 'blue' look in those areas (see the Beauty Club Forum for beard cover tips makeup)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229 View Post
    7. Learn to walk in heels. Properly. Not like a farmer behind a plow horse.
    Ha! Yes, this is true. Heels can be difficult to master. Best to own a couple of pairs of flats/low heels to change into.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelyn Quivers View Post
    Too Funny!

1. Crossdressing is really no more expensive than investing in Gold, and only requires a couple of jobs, speculating in the oil futures markets, and sacrificing all of your male hobbies and interest to really enjoy.

In order to hold cost down-

1. Buy measuring tape so you will know your measurements to help with your clothing size.

2. Start out picking clothes at a 2nd hand clothing store so you can learn what clothing brands fit you best for minimal price. Go to Wal-Mart were you can in-expensively expirement with picking your proper bra and panty size.

Also they have the self checkouts to help with that whole being a guy buying woman's clothes things if you are really nervous about that

3. Make up- This is where the majority of your early dollars need to be spent, also a digital camera is must in helping you judge what brands work best for you. Do not go cheap in this area.

4. Always remember no matter how good the outfit looks on a GG it will never look the same way or as good on you.

5. Most importantly- ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS IS A LIFESTYLE YOU WANT TO ENGAGE IN? Think long and hard about that question.
    This is great advice, Jocelyn. You said most of it all for me!

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    Good question. Amber is right. Crossdressing isn't a hobby you just begin to take up. Could you explain your motivation?
    Most of us are born into it. Unless I am wrong.
    No, I don't think you are. It's true, we are.

True, there are a few late-bloomers. No one knows why the delay. As far as I know you cannot be recruited to join us.
    I never started seriously until I was about 30. One day, I suddenly realized that this was something that I had been suppressing. Perhaps the OP (no age is mentioned) is discovering that, too.

And it helps to be a size 8 with a good head of hair and small feet.
    That it does. Sadly, I have neither!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Depends on what you consider expensive.... I spend 4 to 5 thousand a year on my "hobby"....
    Yeah, but we all know that you could stop anytime you wanted to - right, Karren?

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDYJ View Post
    The OP makes it sound like someone thinking of getting into a new sport or hobby. Like thinking about taking up golf or fishing. I have never heard of another CD'er ever thinking about becoming a CD. Most of us started in our pre-teen years or shortly there after. We did not think about it, it just became who and what we are.
    I've never really heard of this either, Brandy. That's what it would be helpful for us to know a bit more about the OP and what her motivation is. It's not usually feasible that someone would be walking along in non-CD mode one day and want to CD the next. Perhaps she has been having these feelings for a long time, and decided that this is the right thing to do?
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Crossdressing or racing cars? it was never really a choice for me. Always felt right. I haven't explored all of the clothing and make up options yet but starting to and I am ready to spend the money. Good luck if you decide to stick with this hobby.
    I am an Artist working in all Mediums including Sexy

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    I see that you are 21 and not married, if I were 21 and not married and know now what I( know about being a crossdresser I would go totally all in, but thats just me. It can be expensive but if you go one way, allways fem then it is no more expensive than what any girl has to endure. If you want to have to personas then it will be more expensive then just being a guy wearing guy clothes or a girl wearing girl clothes. I'm with Karren on this one, it depends on your hobby, I spend about 30,000 a year on my hobby, thats season tickets to the White Sox. As for the crossdressing, I spend probably 1500.00 per year on that.
    I want to be this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by WyrmQueen View Post
    Is crossdressing expensive?

Any advice to start out inexpensively?

What are some good starter wigs? I have a Forever Young wig but it's so unruly.

What are the best make-ups? Can any of them hide a 5 o'clock shadow?

Well think hard because there is no un-thinking and it's a long pink up hill foggy ride from here!............................Debra

Your first sentence sums it up pretty well Hon. It ain't cheap looking good. The expense is is more than money though. It includes time and effort as well.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by STACY B View Post
    Dont do it everone hates us !!
    I "LIKE" this..................................

Banned Read only
    I can't really get my head around this question. Crossdressing is not like golf. Are you not a crossdresser already? Are you asking about going beyond wearing panties or something?

Welcome to your first meeting as a possible crossdresser. Some info on crossdressing inexpensively, finding clothes outside. Make sure that they are women's clothes. Secondly don't listen to me, I haven't the foggy-ish notion what I am talking about. Again welcome please find a seat and put all your books under your desk. You will need a sheet of lined paper and a no. 2 pencil. Take copious amounts of notes and there will be a test at the end of the week. Again welcome!

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    I'd be careful, those crossdressers are a sarcastic and snarky bunch
    I believe the appropriate girl term you're looking for is bitchy.

I am not who you think I am

Well now see whatcha done? brand spankin' new member, only one post, this thread... and he has not been back since. So maybe he's thinking of taking up golf instead. But that's expensive too. or fishing, nope, that's expensive too. Years ago I took up golf and fishing. But I never took up crossdressing. It took me up when I least expected it!

A cheap(ish) way into make up, is to buy those multi pack gift boxes with tons of stuff, designed mostly for young girls. Some of the stuff you won't use, some of it will be rubbish, some of it will be good. Just practise with it until you feel you have reached a good standard, then start looking around for branded cosmetics that you like. Be warned they aint cheap, but keep an eye out for promotions.

Heels. Buy a pair with short heels to get used to it, then find the size that suits you. I've got some nice 4" heels that feel great in the house, but are very awkward outside, so I generally stick to 3" heels.

Clothing. Shop for clothes in the cheaper outlets, so you get used to the sizing, then you will know more when you want to buy something a bit more expensive. Also there is Mail Order. Here in the UK if you buy stuff mail order, you are covered by consumer protection, so if something doesn't fit you can send it back for a different size or a refund.

Margaret
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

You're thinking of getting into crossdressing??????????????

This isn't archery or bowling you know.
    I don't think any of us "took up crossdressing" just because we needed a new hobby. This is part of us, part of our lives and for many of us has been for most of our lives.
    Please rethink your statement and your desire.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

^^^What she said.^^^
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 03-18-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    I'm completely dumbfounded by the absurdity of the opening post!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    You're thinking of getting into crossdressing??????????????

This isn't archery or bowling you know.
    I don't think any of us "took up crossdressing" just because we needed a new hobby. This is part of us, part of our lives and for many of us has been for most of our lives.
    Please rethink your statement and your desire.
    Chery- You nailed it...
    It's definitely not a hobby..(eye roll) to be taken up on a whim..

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentpartner GG SO View Post
    I'm completely dumbfounded by the absurdity of the opening post!
    No activity since OP. Weird approach to the whole idea. My guess would be bored teenagers having a laugh.

If not, start with Halloween and see how it feels...

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    No activity since OP. Weird approach to the whole idea. My guess would be bored teenagers having a laugh.
    I got thinking about exactly that after I wrote my post, and came back and read the OP again. If you read it a few times, it just doesn't seem quite....right. The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming convinced this was a troll post.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"