Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is actually known about the urge to crossdress?

The reasons Why? I do not believe anyone knows. However Cheryl T got it right it does not go away!!!!!!!. God knows I have tried. Now at almost 70 I have found my confort zone and do not care why. Have a great day.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by girlygirly
    What is actually known about the urge to crossdress?
    [SIZE="2"]It is my experience that most of the “experts” who write about the urge (or compulsion) to crossdress don’t know what they’re talking about, i.e. THEY are not crossdressers. There are not enough words in the entire Universe to describe all the myriad reasons for crossdressing, not to mention all the variations of CD/TG “behavior,” in fact any treatise on the subject will fall woefully short of even the most cursory dissertation. I know, because I’ve gone looking for information. Crossdressing is usually lumped in with other sexual disorders, meaning it requires correction, and I just don’t buy it. IMHO, you’ll get better, unsolicited information HERE from people who know it’s no big deal – we are gathered here to support each other, damn the critics...
    [/SIZE]

What is actually known and scientifically proven about crossdressing, and why are we always lumped in with the gay community? That tends to make crossdressing seem like an act which is motivated more by sexual needs, rather than an actual life path that we can't seem to avoid taking at some point. Are the two that closely related?
    [SIZE="2"]For some, it is motivated by sexual needs, and for some, like me, it isn’t, but I would be remiss if I didn’t curtsey towards the inevitable – it’s difficult to NOT see crossdressing in sexual terms, since it involves one sex yearning to be like the other sex by way of clothing and any attendant feelings that may arise. Also, crossdressing is aligned with homosexuality because it involves voluntary or involuntary effeminacy, and, in most uncultured minds, effeminacy is seen as gay, which, to them, is a synonym for “wrong,” period. As for sexual expediency and a “life path” being one and the same, it could be – right now I am firmly on that inevitable course I was accidentally programmed to take, but I would be lying if I said it had nothing to do with my inherent sexuality – if there’s something missing, you would seek to fill it with any available material and carry on, correct?
    [/SIZE]

I am much happier dressed like a girl, the girlier the better, but at the same time I would be mortified if I were caught in a dress. The compulsion and basic instinct to dress like a girl is unexplainable for me, but there are also limits to how far I can go and still feel comfortable.
    [SIZE="2"]I wonder if I would be mortified to be “caught” in a dress. I would like to be seen as apart, and different, and dissident, and...interesting, so that may very well do the trick! My own motivation to look and act like a girl has a lot to do with my inherent nature, itself the product of many years being in the company of males I do not wish to emulate – the basic "underpainting" was there, so I just kept on cultivating my little (painted) magic garden until the pretty flowers bloomed...
    [/SIZE]

Acastina, I appreciate your response. I read this thread last night, and logged on this morning to respond because I was thinking about the idea of dressing being a "choice." Maybe I'm just weak, but when the opportunity to dress presents itself (i.e. - home alone, like I was last night), it's really, almost physically difficult not to. As soon as the thought occurs to me, I start to feel a little shaky. The more I resist, my stomach starts to get upset (like being on a roller coaster with a steep drop!), and I start to feel on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

So, yes, while it may be possible to "choose" not to cross dress - it's physically upsetting. In my case, it's absolutely compulsive behavior. Given the amount of stress it causes (particularly the guilt afterwards), I would've stopped years ago if it was simply a matter of saying, "eh, I shouldn't be doing this." Unless I seek professional help, I don't see that happening.