Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The term "Tranny"

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky188
    The term "Tranny" I’m just wondering. Is this term offensive to people here? Because I use it often to describe myself, and my trans friends do as well. I dont want to offend people if they dont like the term! My friends and I always call each other "tranny girl" so its like a term of endearment. Your thoughts....
    [SIZE="2"]Well, since you asked for my thoughts...

Crossdressers in America seem to have a big problem with the word tranny, mainly because certain individuals insist that “tranny,” short for transvestite, aligns them uncomfortably with homosexuals, or homosexual...er...activities. This may come as a shock to you, but America is extremely up-tight regarding sexuality, and it’s difficult for some males to “square” themselves with the idea that what they’re doing (dressing-up like women) means they must be queer, sissies, fairies, or what have you. With that in mind, ossified opinions about the term transvestite are formed, maintained, and an unhealthy distance is created, thus keeping one’s personal crossdressing away from anything it may be cobbled together with...

It’s a shame, really, because words with the prefix “trans-“ accurately describe what we do in one way or another, and sometimes “cross-“ is not accurate enough. If you fully transform yourself by wearing clothes meant for women, you are a transvestite, case closed. If you completely change yourself (MtF) and remain that way, you are transgendered. If you are a candidate for SRS, eventually leading to the procedure, you are a transsexual – do you see a pattern developing here? I transform myself via clothing, so I quite naturally call myself a “tranny.” I like the term – it has a certain fuzziness or cuteness to it, and I don’t mind being thought of as homosexual...

I’ve had many arguments (discussions) along these lines since I’ve been here, and I can honestly say that Americans are stubborn, uptight, and defensive. Not ALL of them, of course (I’m an American, for instance), but the battle lines have been drawn – most of this anti-tranny rhetoric is thinly-veiled homophobia, and I have evidence to support that claim. It denigrates what should be an atmosphere of understanding and acceptance here at Crossdresser Central, where no crossdresser, or no tranny, should be excluded from either being who they are, or who they wish to be. If you type the word “tranny” and hit the submit button, you’re likely to encounter those who don’t wish to associate themselves with gay ANYTHING...

Anyway, you can call me a “tranny” all you like; in fact I wear it like a badge of honor. I was on a UK site much like this one, and everyone called each other tranny incessantly – that will tell you that there are other parts of the world where human sexuality, or anything related to it, is not regarded as such a big deal by the populace. Truth is, I live in a backward country, sexually speaking. With this in mind, I haven't read any of the reponses in this thread - I don't dare to...

PS – Anyone who has the courage to call themselves “tranny” is a friend of mine...
    [/SIZE]

Once again, Freddy hits the nail on the head. Many years ago, when I was semi-active with a group of other trannies that would wander out and about, we referred to each other as T-girls or Trannies. We would not refer to each other as transgender (unless transitioning) or crossdressers. As Freddy pointed out, and you may choose to disagree if you wish, if you present as female and are not transitioning you're a transvestite. Society has twisted that word to imply perversion.

If a man chooses to wear panties, you could certainly say he is a crossdresser, but he is not a T-girl or Tranny in my book. So T-girl or Tranny for us was actually a term of endearment and badge of courage for those of us that ventured into the world fully dressed.

I know not everyone agrees with this, and that's OK.

great responses to this thread:

After reading all of the responses, an addendum is in order.

I am (currently) a black american.Among my close group of friends and co-workers, who are also black, the N. word is used with great regularity.
    Among us, no defense for its usage is even necessary because its colloquial origins are fully understood. The word is used as a noun, which
    modifies as a noun-phrase. When inflected it becomes a verb expressing an act or mood and of course an adjective which can denote the quality
    of the thing being named..The N. word is far more complicated than its usage.That is pretty plain. When it is used by anyone other than a black
    american it can be biteing and inciteful.On the other hand, being called a tranny, especially by another tranny, can be deliberately endering.Although
    Being called a tranny by someone other than a tranny, can be-not will be, derogatory like the N. word)

If being called a tranny means I am accepted among the group that frequents here, people who pour out their souls, each day, to understand
    the human condition, then forgive my indulgence, for I am truly honored......dana

Quote Originally Posted by drushin703 View Post
    I am (currently) a black american.Among my close group of friends and co-workers, who are also black, the N. word is used with great regularity.
    of course, and I've heard white people tell me to my face that NOBODY should use that word, as if they were somehow the language arbiter.

Same goes for all of the so called pejorative terms that get thrown about in the LGBT scene. Why do people think they have some kind of right to tell other people what kind of language to use. If YOU don't like a particular word than by all means don't use it.

I loved your post Dana, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I'm sensitive to hate and cruelty, I simply do not want to be on the receiving end of someones hate driven ignorance that has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them. It is so easy for those filled with self hate to try and perform a self exorcism on themselves by trying to poor their self hate into me through the maddness and sickness of their own hate. Words that are attached to hate are knives people try to cut you with in an attempt to make you one of the living dead like them. It is the hate/fear/rage/guilt/shame/impotence (sickness), not the words I avoid.

The term "Tranny" doesn't bother me at all. My first car had a three speed manual tranny. Several cars after that had four speed trannys and automatic trannys. The one I drive now has a five speed automatic tranny with overdrive.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U can call me Ray, or u can call me Jay, or u can call me Mr. Johnson! WHATEVER nasty thing u call me doesn't come close to what I call MYSELF!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I feel like people have pointed out the worse in me my whole life. The thing is, I know those people are just insecure and I dont worry about what they say about me. Yeah, I have been called Tranny before in a negetive way. Among a lot of other names! But to me the term tranny signifies the long road I have been down to get to where Im at now. So when a girlfriend calls me her trannygirl, I feel accepted by them and I know that girl "has my back" no matter what! Its just a stupid word girls! And its all in how you veiw the word. Its all about how you veiw life. You can choose to look at it negetively, or turn it into something positive and take it over and "own" it!

As an example I've been called a fag before and it hurt all the way to my core, as such I would be honestly a little uncomfortable being called that even in jest.
    That's just me though, as for the guy who said that to me I honestly hope he chewed the end of a shotgun for dinner one night.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by whowhatwhen View Post
    As an example I've been called a fag before and it hurt all the way to my core, as such I would be honestly a little uncomfortable being called that even in jest.
    That's just me though, as for the guy who said that to me I honestly hope he chewed the end of a shotgun for dinner one night.
    Well that word is never acceptible! I have been there before. Like Daily!!!

I've been called a fag so many times I couldn't possibly remember them all. They were calling me a fag before any of us even knew what that meant. Why in the world would you give away so much of your power that somebody could hurt you to your core with a simple word? One thing is certain; trannies need much thicker skin than that.
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Maybe it's a shattering realization that you're different and people will forever find ways to hate and even harm you.
    I do have very, very, very thin skin though.

Most of the time I put other's feelings before mine and it's definitely not a good thing.
    Still, he got to me and I remember to this day how that felt.

Seriously, I hope he's dead somewhere, he was also a racist too.

Still, he got to me and I remember to this day how that felt.
    It feels awful to be singled out for something you can't even help. That's why I always stand with the underdog. I'd rather give them another person to pick on than let that poor soul endure it alone.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I dislike the term, to me it has a very negative meaning, I never use it.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I like it. Seems accurate. To me it's just a short term for transitioning. Rolls a bit easier off the tongue. I would be upset if it was used out of context I presume.

Well I am ok with this word , nothing wrong.But I think if a tranny calls me a tranny its ok.But if a man calls me something , he should call me a girl.Even if a woman calls me something , it should not be anything else other than a girl.:-/
    We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

[SIZE="2"]- Sam Keen, from To Love and Be Loved[/SIZE]

*Chill*

I just love to be Tranny.
    BTW I just join to this forum to say i'm tranny.

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar
    I can see why others have a problem with the term. But for me it's an exciting and subversive word, and I don't mind it being used.