I am a member of a clan on Xbox360 calling ourselves Team Ninja; 12 members. Only two of them, my cousin and my best friend know I am transgendered. I didn't want the other guys to know though. They are hardcore manly men and most of them are serving in the armed forces active duty or reserves. They constantly throw banter around slamming gays and men in dresses. It didn't bother me too much; didn't take it personally. I did point out several times that not all transgenders are like Jerry Springer, but didn't think I was getting through to them.

Now I occasionally play with my brother's brother in law 'Patrick' (my brother's wife's brother) and they call themselves RedArmy. Tonight we had a clan battle (Modern Warfare 3: Xbox game) Team Ninja vs. RedArmy. Patrick found out through the long family grapevine that I was transgendered and took it upon himself to out me in front of both clans. I died. I'm all open around my house and family, but not to these people. I thought my 'friends/ Team Ninja' (not real friends, but liked playing with them anyway) was done with me. I still had my cousin and my best friend though, but it was still an uncomfortable moment. The guys in my clan asked if it was true, and at this point there was no point in lying. I was just about to turn my xbox off when Team Ninja rallied around me. I wish I could repost the insults that they threw back at Patrick. (one of them said that I looked better dressed up than Patrick's girlfriend) Here I was afraid of these real army guys, and they were cussing, insulting, and slamming Patrick for feeling the need to tell everybody. They told me they supported me and it is because of people like me they are serving. They are serving so I can enjoy my freedoms. We were down 0-3 before Patrick outed me. Team Ninja rallied back hard and we won 4-3.

After we were back in our private chat, I told the guys I was surprised that they supported me; especially hearing all the cracks about gay and transgender people. They told me it is just the way they talk and they can't wait for my 'gay %$$' to get on with them again. Wow.

Amber