Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Risking annoyance

Okay, reality is beginning to sink in. I may be a bit hard of hearing, but if I am told enough times, I actually begin to hear it. Next talk will include an apology from me. Thanks for all your messages, even the not so nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    In fact, if you could just support him or her, no matter what, it would be in your best interest.
    you'd likely get a better outcome..even a great outcome.... maybe with your support she will be more confident in her thinking...
    [slapping forehead] Damn, why didn't this occur to me? We have had some great, free ranging discussions in the past. I love how her brain works, and she knows it. It is the reason I have been so mystified at her unwillingness to admit any doubts or issues, to us or a therapist. That is just not the person I know.

But she can't let her guard down, can't trust us to work through it with her. We have poisoned the environment, turning it into a negotiation rather than a discussion. Thank you for the epiphany.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Ultimately, I agree with others here. If your child is making a mistake, it is hers to make and also for her to experience the joy if she isn't. All you can do is be there for her should she ever need you.

Has she considered her career options with transition? My middle son has just received an undergrad degree and he at this point still has idealistic views on fending for himself in the real world. I did too, before I was out there. My son is at the tail end of receiving support from his parents. He is currently wavering between finding a job that will give him the salary he feels he deserves, or going on to grad school, which is what I did.
    She is very bright, and wandered into a somewhat arcane niche in her Environmental Technology and Policy major. I have talked with her about this, and most of the employment in this field is in the public sector, which I think is good for her. For a while, she thought about going to law school (policy stuff), but now thinks she would like to go to grad school (tech stuff).

Even before all the transgender stuff started, she knew that a bachelor's degree was about as far as we could take her. She is grateful for that, knowing that I came from a very blue collar, four child household where I had to pay my own way from the beginning. I am pretty sure that she is good enough to get a TA or RA position that could get her through grad school, which is the way I did it.

Liz
    Last edited by Elizabeth Ann; 03-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
    She is very bright, and wandered into a somewhat arcane niche in her Environmental Technology and Policy major. I have talked with her about this, and most of the employment in this field is in the public sector, which I think is good for her. For a while, she thought about going to law school (policy stuff), but now thinks she would like to go to grad school (tech stuff).

Even before all the transgender stuff started, she knew that a bachelor's degree was about as far as we could take her. She is grateful for that, knowing that I came from a very blue collar, four child household where I had to pay my own way from the beginning. I am pretty sure that she is good enough to get a TA or RA position that could get her through grad school.

Liz
    Hey, you're doing more than a lot of parents. Mine couldn't pay for college... I have insane student loans over my head right now. Be proud you have done as much as you have!

EDIT: Well... my dad probably could have... but he's too frugal...

Hi ,

Jos & i have 3 grown up adults 33 , 35 , 36 ,they have thier own kids up to age 15 ,

& yes we had to learn well more myself . keep my mouth shut, dont tell them what to do dont force them, say yes & agree no matter what ,
    Jos & i have seen more issues probs & been through the worry of cant you see what your doing to your self,

Its a cant let go , we were there from the begining to pick up look after help kiss it better & all those things we needed to do for them.

We cant do that we ...had .... to step back stay on the side lines & still give .

we are not going to help if we dont step back all we will do is .....drive ..... them away.

Hey you know what ...its bloody hard when you see your kids fall & hurt them selfs & its not just once its many times ,

We are there to pick them up & just be there for them. yet say nothing ..

We'v been through it for over 9 years with our daughter & its just so hard, & its we are banging our heads against the brick wall.

Dont go snopping around after your child youll drive her away reguardless of what she's going through be there to give her a hug & surport .& let her do the talking

...noeleena...

Make sure that she follows the transition protocol and doesn't try to take shortcuts. This would include finding a therapist, living full time as a woman for at least one year, and THEN deciding whether to have the various surgical procedures.

It's possible that your child has been struggling with this issue for 15 years or more, and has tried to "fit in" as much as possible, and to accept their situation, and at the same time, has struggled with the terrifying thought of having to live the rest of their lives in the male body. The good news is that he hasn't killed himself, and although he turned to drugs, he isn't to the point where he is trying to kill himself with overdoses.

Encourage him to get the therapist, and start dressing full time. If she wants you to help her shop for clothes, enjoy the experience. Let her make the mistakes and discover what works for her as a girl. She will want to dress sexy and too cute, but that will lead to closer scrutiny. Eventually, she will want to dress a bit more conservatively so that she doesn't always have to worry about getting clocked.

If she is transgendered, she will find herself feeling more freedom, more alive, more satisfied with her life, and will want to proceed with the other things she need to do to transition. If she is not, she will eventually get tired of all the hassles of having to do the make-up, diet, exercise, hair management, and so on, and will opt to go back to living as a boy/man most of the time.

She can't really make an informed decision until she has had the opportunity to live as a woman for at least a year. You might even want to take all his boy clothes and give them away, putting anything sentimental into storage. In a sense, it "burns the bridge", and encourages them to move forward boldly and powerfully, rather than the shuffle back and forth.

Encourage her to read magazines to learn make-up, hair, and fashion techniques.

If she is transsexual, and she sees how much you love her as your daughter, she will love you more than ever.

If he is just a cross-dresser, he will love you for giving him the freedom to discover that for himself.

Just a note to congratulate you for deciding to be a supportive parent and let her discover for herself. I'm a parent as well and to not control and sit back and support is the most difficult thing in the world we want to save them and can only watch. My parents are of the controling/judgmental type so I know how thast hurts.

Silver Member
    Yay Liz, yay Liz. yay Liz!

Stephie

Elizabeth there are some great honest, heartfelt comments here already. Totally agree with the living ones life sentiment and support dealie. We are human and being human we need to be organic. That deep emotion and sense of being is why we are talking here today and I'm pretty sure all would agree.

I think a lot of girls here have played the game "what term feels right" at lest once or twice in our younger lives. I wonder if there is more behind your thoughts then asking about hers? I'm asking if this might be more about you then her or even about how you should support her life choices. Most here have read her post, but does she know you are TG? Maybe this is the base of your issue? I'm just asking questions 'tis all.
    Last edited by *Vanessa*; 03-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Opponent or Allie?

It's that simple. Speaking from a TS standpoint; you either fit into one or the other, or you don't exist. There is no grey area. Make a slight notion twoards oppostition and that's it, you're an opponent that has to be removed from her life. It's a long road to fight back from at such a highly emoitionally charged time.

Right now, for her, being TS is all that matters and every second counts and nothing can happen fast enough. Offer guidance, express your concerns, but don't ever set in place ultimatums, dates, or hurdles for her. If you want her to see a therapist regularly all you can do is offer (and it has to be a neutral person, you need as many neutral observers as possible, certainly not your therapist!), let her know that it's not for her, it's not a requirement, it's simply to appease your concerns, and make sure it's a semi informal arrangement like once a month or so. Know the doctors she's seeing (and you have to applaud her decision on some level to have gone to a therapist/doctor already and not just self medicated). Beyond that you really do have to leave it in her hands and the hands of the professionals she's surrounded by.

I can't imagine the difficulty for your family all around right now. If you band together no matter what happens you will all come out better people in the end for it. I wish you the best of luck!

Aspiring Member
    Liz,
    As long as she is seeing a therapist to guide her decisions, and she doesn't take shortcuts, she will likely find the right course. If your suspicions are realized and in RLT, she decides that she isn't destined to transition, then she can change course. I have known someone who detransitioned and seems to have resumed their former lives well. Though HRT changes the body, SRS is really the point of no return.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by *Vanessa* View Post
    I wonder if there is more behind your thoughts then asking about hers? I'm asking if this might be more about you then her or even about how you should support her life choices. Most here have read her post, but does she know you are TG? Maybe this is the base of your issue? I'm just asking questions 'tis all.
    She does know that I am a crossdresser. I don't want to touch the "definition of a TG" issue with a 10 foot pole.

I am not sure if that is all you are asking. This whole experience has led me to think a lot about gender, and how abstract the concept seems to have become. I even started a thread on the crossdressing section called "What is Gender?" in which I confess to not being sure anymore. It is no longer connected to the physical body, but it can't be just socialization, which, after all, can be overcome. It's "between your ears" but not just "all in your head"!

Liz

I even started a thread on the crossdressing section called "What is Gender?" in which I confess to not being sure anymore.
    "Gender identity: A person’s intrinsic sense of being male (a boy or a man), female (a girl or woman), or an alternative gender (e.g., boygirl, girlboy, transgender, genderqueer, eunuch)." - WPATH

You know, there is an unprecedented number of people seeking transition in the last few years (decade(s)?). And much of this is finding it's way into the news. We even have a TS holding office in the current administration! There are blogs now from parents advocating for acceptance for their transsexual children. One of the most celebrated models of our time is a man who looks like a woman and who is ambiguous about his (her?) gender.

Chemicals have found their way into our ecosystems messing with biological gender among fish. How much of this has affected humans, and to what degree? And what about meds given to pregnant mothers during the 1950s?

We've come a long way from early last century, when Hirschfeld first coined the term "transvestite". More and more people are seeking gender counseling today, and I dare say that transgender issues have found their way into the curriculum of all would-be therapists.

Along with all these changes, it is inevitable there should be a great deal of gender deconstruction going on, especially among our young, who also witness an equally unprecedented, fundamental change in gender roles among their parents which has trickled down to even greater degrees among their peers.
    Last edited by ReineD; 03-28-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added quote.
    Reine

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
    Make sure that she follows the transition protocol and doesn't try to take shortcuts. This would include finding a therapist, living full time as a woman for at least one year, and THEN deciding whether to have the various surgical procedures.

[...]

She can't really make an informed decision until she has had the opportunity to live as a woman for at least a year. You might even want to take all his boy clothes and give them away, putting anything sentimental into storage. In a sense, it "burns the bridge", and encourages them to move forward boldly and powerfully, rather than the shuffle back and forth.

[...]
    This sounds like a bit much. She is a 22 year old adult that doesn't live with her parents and can't be controlled by them. Her parents can ENCOURAGE her to follow protocol, but they can't MAKE SURE she does.

She's stated that so far she doesn't want SRS... and she can't even get surgery without following protocols that would last at least a year...

Not only are her parents incapable of taking her boy cloths away, that's a ridiculous idea even if they could.

She needs to figure this out on her own, with the SUPPORT of her friends and family, not the CONTROL of her friends and family.
    Last edited by Bree-asaurus; 03-29-2012 at 07:12 AM.

I did not get rid of my boy clothes until SRS. Not that I wanted a safety net, but they did not matter that much to me, symbolically or otherwise.

Also, a trans person, in my opinion, should be encouraged to move forward or to slow down. It is such actions that make trans people "hybernate" and put transition on hold until suicide becomes the only way out. There are protocols for gender reassignment and experts in the matter who do not care whether your child transitions or not, but want to maximise chances of success and minimize possibilities of regret.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

The idea that mom or dad can somehow "help" by setting goals, expectations, boundries, rules, guidelines is a big problem with regard to transsexuals. The reason is that unless mom or dad has extensive experience they are taking a big risk..
    being transsexual is a very unique experience that does not resonate with the 99.999%....there is a built in disbelief that your boy thinks "he" is a girl...even if you are a crossdresser!!! that's actually pretty fascinating if you think of it..

as parents, we have extreme influence...it can be positive or negative....one wrong comment can sit with your child literally FOREVER..i know this happened to me...and my dad doesnt recall every saying it, and he has apologized a million times, but the word and growl are inside of me ....

Plus every one of us, me included, has inherent bias..and if you have limited knowledge of the options and concepts, its a bad recipe....its called knowing just enough to be dangerous..heh

so i hope elizabeth you stick with your idea of a couple days ago...which is to listen listen listen...and let your child know you are there and supportive and only want to help...admit you are no expert...if any guidance can help, its finding the right experts and guidance ...

HW change required Andie Elisabeth's Avatar
    Hi,
    as a still 22 years old person who has yet to come out to parents, now would be a really awful time, as whatever-non-guy-label-you-want-to-insert I'd like to say my .

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post
    She needs to figure this out on her own, with the SUPPORT of her friends and family, not the CONTROL of her friends and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    The idea that mom or dad can somehow "help" by setting goals, expectations, boundries, rules, guidelines is a big problem with regard to transsexuals. The reason is that unless mom or dad has extensive experience they are taking a big risk..
    being transsexual is a very unique experience that does not resonate with the 99.999%....there is a built in disbelief that your boy thinks "he" is a girl...even if you are a crossdresser!!! that's actually pretty fascinating if you think of it..

as parents, we have extreme influence...it can be positive or negative....one wrong comment can sit with your child literally FOREVER..i know this happened to me...
    Both my mom and I are different kinds of control freaks. I know that I can't control her and I don't even try but she forgets it from time to time. And when I need to feel support that I am not alone I just don't want to hear solutions which is something that I am forced to hear a lot. So in the end I am stuck with my problems alone

When it comes to expectations for your child, whatever she/he identifies, don't make them! It limits us, tears apart, at least it tears me because I am often people-pleaser.

If I didn't felt as hamster in wheel at college in Prague like hamster in a spinning wheel I would be probably not going home every week and not talking to my mom because of some comments that she makes. But I had find some way to filter her comments before they hit my memory circuits in brain and they still upset me.

I don't write about dad simply because I skype with him on weekends when he's not in work.
    "It'll be just like old times, except...different" -- Ezri Dax

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    "Gender identity: A person’s intrinsic sense of being male (a boy or a man), female (a girl or woman), or an alternative gender (e.g., boygirl, girlboy, transgender, genderqueer, eunuch)." - WPATH

You know, there is an unprecedented number of people seeking transition in the last few years (decade(s)?). And much of this is finding it's way into the news. We even have a TS holding office in the current administration! There are blogs now from parents advocating for acceptance for their transsexual children. One of the most celebrated models of our time is a man who looks like a woman and who is ambiguous about his (her?) gender.

Chemicals have found their way into our ecosystems messing with biological gender among fish. How much of this has affected humans, and to what degree? And what about meds given to pregnant mothers during the 1950s?

We've come a long way from early last century, when Hirschfeld first coined the term "transvestite". More and more people are seeking gender counseling today, and I dare say that transgender issues have found their way into the curriculum of all would-be therapists.

Along with all these changes, it is inevitable there should be a great deal of gender deconstruction going on, especially among our young, who also witness an equally unprecedented, fundamental change in gender roles among their parents which has trickled down to even greater degrees among their peers.
    Hi Reine,

Gender deconstruction! I love it. We are drifting off topic here, but it is an issue that has occupied my thoughts lately.

Intrinsic (of or relating to the essential nature of a thing; inherent) is a difficult word for me. A person's intrinsic sense of gender seems more like a description, and a tautological one at that, than it does a definition. You can't discern gender by examining the body, nor can you discern it by the person's behavior. Other than sex, effeminate men can do anything a woman can, and we crossdressers know that wearing a dress does not determine gender. Nevertheless, it is supposed to be part of our essential nature. It reminds me of another famous tautology, the biblical definition of faith as "the evidence of things not seen."

Over the years, I seem to have lost my appetite for such firm rocks upon which to stand. "Nothing endures but change" said the Greek philosopher Heraclitus, and I am fearful that he is correct and I live in a world with few, if any, fixed points. Let me explain.

I have a PhD in economics, and any good economist will tell you that the entire structure of the discipline is built on just one assumption: that persons are able to rank their preferences. Sounds intuitive. You prefer A to B, and B to C. But what happens if C is heavily promoted and advertised and you state that you used to prefer A but now you prefer C? Values, productions, even levels of happiness, reality actually, can be changed by changing minds.

Most of us think the use of psychotropic drugs for schizophrenia or bipolar disorders is a good thing, but not when the old Soviet Union used it to control dissidents. Either way, we are changing our "intrinsic" inner self. When is it good or bad? My own sense of ethics has become so relativistic that I have generally abandoned moral judgments (with the possible exception of Dick Cheney, but now he has a heart). Problems with intrinsic are legion. I have an acquaintance who transitioned and tells me that, as a man, she preferred women. But after HRT, she now prefers men. There is a famous exchange with an art critic. "I know what I like," says the patron. "No, you like what you know." says the critic.

So, I am still not sure about gender. A "person's intrinsic sense of" gender, values, sexual orientation, moral code, psychological profile, aesthetics, etc., what's that? I am not sure what is left to be "intrinsic." For me, possibly a blind faith that searching for the truth is the only course of action left.

But for those of you writing in this thread this morning, not to worry. Certainty is a precious commodity, and I now realize I have no right to take it away from my child.

Liz
    Last edited by Elizabeth Ann; 03-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Liz, I am sooo taken by you and your immense love for your daughter, that reading through your statements made me tear up. I so wish my father had gone through such a soul searching as you did, and all that for her! You are a magnificent parent I didn't have, and I want you to know that you have moved me beyond simple emotion. I know that your daughter is in the most loving and beautiful hands she can possibly wish for and you had proven to me that nothing, nothing is for ever lost, and people only if willing can see the light of truth and love with the force so immense, nothing will stand to destroy it.

All my love and tears, happy tears, to you both, Inna

Oh Inna,

You make me blush! It's a good thing you are so far away and cannot see my stumbling and hesitant style of parenting, as well as my complete lack of fashion sense (my wife says my underwear looks "like something an 8th grader would wear").

Liz

I have an acquaintance who transitioned and tells me that, as a man, she preferred women. But after HRT, she now prefers men.
    I was the same........kinda. Sexually speaking I'm a bisexual WOMAN, so before my life was that of a woman's there was no way I was having sex with a man as a man. Having sex with a woman as a man wasn't nearly as bad for whatever reason (social acceptance, appearances?) but still presented many problems. Testosterone overload helped get over the mentally tricky parts. Now I could comfortably have sex with a man or a woman as me, a woman. As far as "preferences" go I prefer a man not because the sex is better with a man or worse with a woman but I think I just get along better in a relationship with a man. One woman in a relationship is usually quite enough! ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    I was the same........kinda. Sexually speaking I'm a bisexual WOMAN, so before my life was that of a woman's there was no way I was having sex with a man as a man. Having sex with a woman as a man wasn't nearly as bad for whatever reason (social acceptance, appearances?) but still presented many problems. Testosterone overload helped get over the mentally tricky parts. Now I could comfortably have sex with a man or a woman as me, a woman. As far as "preferences" go I prefer a man not because the sex is better with a man or worse with a woman but I think I just get along better in a relationship with a man. One woman in a relationship is usually quite enough! ; )
    Same with me. You should not read too much into this Elizabeth. Preferences and a core sense of self are not the same thing. No marketing campain could ever change how one feels about oneself. Could you ever be persuaded to have your penis turned inside out? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Same with me. You should not read too much into this Elizabeth. Preferences and a core sense of self are not the same thing. No marketing campain could ever change how one feels about oneself.
    Francis, perhaps you are right. But it occurs to me that in some instances that is what therapy is intended to do, such as when someone is suicidal or filled with self loathing (not particularly over gender issues).

Could you ever be persuaded to have your penis turned inside out? I don't think so.
    Yikes! Hurts to even think about.

Liz

Francis, perhaps you are right. But it occurs to me that in some instances that is what therapy is intended to do, such as when someone is suicidal or filled with self loathing (not particularly over gender issues).
    You cannot change someone's gender, and gender deprivation can lead to suicidal thought and self loathing. There is no behavior modification possible here. The therapeutic process in the case of trans people should be about dealing with all concomitant issues to see if they have any incidence on the quest for reassignment. I.e. does the person seek reassignment because of depression or is the person depressed about not being able to get reassigned. After that, it is about seeing if the condition endures. That is why gatekeeping-style gender clinics will demand a two year wait before SRS and even hormones in some cases. If the patient/client still feels the same after two years, then it will probably not go away.

I have seen people delude themselves into wanting to be trans. Most trans people do not want to be trans or wish it on their worst enemy.

How do you know you are a man? You just know right, it's the same for trans people, except that society is communicating back the opposite gender. If that won't f**k up anyone's mind, I don't know what will. Of course we are suicidal and self loathing.

It's Frances with a E as in the actress Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name, as in Francis Sinatra.

It's Frances with a E as in the actress Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name, as in Francis Sinatra.
    Oops. Sorry. I am completely dependent on a spell checker to overcome my slight dyslexia, but there it was right in front of me. I promise to move on to new and more innovative mistakes.

Liz

Silver Member
    Therapy doesn't change someone's innate sense of self.

Therapy helps people realize why and what they are feeling, so they are more aware. It doesn't change a person at their core.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann
    Most of us think the use of psychotropic drugs for schizophrenia or bipolar disorders is a good thing, but not when the old Soviet Union used it to control dissidents. Either way, we are changing our "intrinsic" inner self. When is it good or bad?
    Only problem in our situation is drugs can't fix us... yet :P