Thread: Transsexual T-Shirt?

Transsexual T-Shirt?

My son was at the Chicago airport this past Tuesday night and noticed someone wearing a t-shirt with "Legalize Transsexual Marriage Now!" on it.

Is this a movement under the sponsorship of some group?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I would not be caught dead wearing such a T shirt! What exactly does that mean anyway? I know of several TS woman who married men after transition so really not sure what that is supposed to mean? If you are married BEFORE you transition only death or divorce can nullify the marriage so again what does that mean?

Banned Read only
    Hi Persephone,

I'm with April on this.
    What does this actually mean???
    If same sex marriage is legal in one's state of residence there is no issue.
    If a non-op trans person wishes to marry another non-op trans person then this would be considered same sex marriage.
    If one lives in a state that allows gender marker change on driver licenses then you could sneak past the legalities of the state that does not allow same sex marriage by just presenting your drivers license, I have a friend who married her boyfriend this way without actually obtaining surgery.
    Big problem down the line with social security, etc. but it can be done.
    If you were married before SRS you will still be married after SRS in the U.S.

I'm also with April that I would never wear a t-shirt proclaiming anything concerning transsexuality or intersexuality.
    It's tacky and uncalled for.

Julia

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    I know of several TS woman who married men after transition so really not sure what that is supposed to mean?
    I can understand it if you were unfortunate to be born in some sates like Idaho that do not allow you to change you gender marker on the birth certificate even if you are post op. If a post op woman wants to marry a man she would have to go to a state the recognizes same sex marriage. In Idaho the ruling party even has it in their agenda to amend the state constitution so that marriage can only be between a natural born man and a natural born woman.

And even is some states where you can change your birth certificate it can get troublesome, like some texas law makers trying to change the law to invalidate marriage for post op transsexuals after the controversy about Nikki Araguzs marriage, who's marriage a judge did rule invalid.

Being TS can really suck sometimes! Many sacrifices need to be made to make this life work. One of those maybe having to move away from a beloved yet discriminatory location such as Texas or Idaho. Still I think there are ways around even their onerous laws by simply living a quiet life. BTW I was born in Ohio, you can't change your Birth Certificate here either however My DL says female, thank god!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    A few years ago, we had a member who reported that she was going to be forced to divorce from her wife, because one branch of the state considered it same-sex marriage. But that state wouldn't allow legal gender change, so she was would not be able to marry a male either, because that would be considered same-sex marriage as well.

Yes, the state was playing it both ways, deliberately so, effectively trying to punish her for being trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    I would not be caught dead wearing such a T shirt! What exactly does that mean anyway? I know of several TS woman who married men after transition so really not sure what that is supposed to mean? If you are married BEFORE you transition only death or divorce can nullify the marriage so again what does that mean?
    it's still considered same sex marriage whether one is pre or post op. Transsexuals feel that they are women ( rightly so) and might reject the idea of being labeled "same sex. Might not the argument be.. I am a "woman" so I should not be subject to the "same sex" rule, and be allowed to marry? But yeah.. they can keep the t-shirt lol.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Transgender marriage is a case where allies sometimes get in each other's way:

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2009/...egatively.html
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Technically I tend to think that marriage is the easy part. What is the real problem is say your husband wants to break up with you after years of marriage and he simply say hey I am taking what I want. You the TS girl says hey we are married. The husband says to her hey I know your TS and in the state of ______ they will simply invalidate the marriage when it is challenged. Thats the problem.

As far as the T shirt goes. LOL yea right I would not get cought dead wearing it even at a trans conference but I can think of some people that would probable like to have the t shirt and wear it..........

Katie

If you plan on getting married in the state of Florida and are transgender make sure to look at the case law Kantaras v. Kantaras. We talked to the ACLU and they hope this law can get changed in the next 20 years or so.